Hormone problems 2 years later | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone problems 2 years later Hormone problems 2 years later

Unread 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Hormone problems 2 years later

I am almost 48. In December of 2006, I had a TAH because of severe endometriosis. I had 5 or 6 lesions in my abdomen that were bleeding into themselves and the largest one was 6 cm in diameter. The damage and scarring was so extensive that the surgery took 8 hours and I required 7 units of blood (3 pre-op and 4 during the surgery).

Five days later my bowel perforated and I had to have an emergency colostomy. That also left my incision open and I had a wound vac/open wound for 5 months.

Then I went in to have the colostomy reversed and had a mild heart attack 36 hours post-op. In all I spent 39 days in the hospital.

My heart is fine and I have been recovering well. I even finished my BA degree during all of this and am working again.

I have two large surgical hernias that will require eventual repair, but I'm avoiding any additional surgery as long as possible. (In the meantime, my husband was laid off two months ago and now we are uninsured.)

The doctors did not want me taking any HRT because of the endometriosis and I've done pretty well up until now. I've had sporadic problems with hot flashes but it's been manageable. I've had some serious weight gain, in part due to menopause, in part due to inactivity because of all the health problems. I'm trying to remedy the weight problem with exercise and diet changes.

The problem now is that the past few months, I've really suffered with insomnia and mood swings. I would think that would have happened a long time ago.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Wow, you've sure been through a lot. I think most of us noticed some changes hormonally after a year and even two. I think with the change in diet and exercise and loss of weight, your body is probably feeling depleted of estrogen at this point. You may want to talk to your doc about a small amount of estrogen therapy -- maybe a patch or estrogel -- perhaps even a compounded formula (I take BiEst -- much less estradiol and more estriol -- perhaps a little safer for estrogen sensitive folks?) It definitely sounds like estrogen deficiency, however. I wish you the best and it sounds like you're a very determined lady --((hugs))
Best of luck
Unread 01-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Thanks KLGM. I don't know if they would give me any estrogen -- the endometriosis was so bad. But I appreciate the idea. I will try to talk to the doctors when I can go again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM

You may want to check the NO HRT part of the site to see what those ladies are doing in the "desert"
Best of luck.
Unread 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM

I had stage 4 endo. The doctor started me on HRT. His theory is that if you take progesterone with the estrogen it will keep the endo in check. I'm only 10 weeks post-op, but my doctor has been doing this for 30 years. And I'm doing well.

I didn't have any clotting risk factors. But if you have cardiac problems, that might rule out the possibility of taking any kind of HRT.

So talk to your doctor about it. Hope you are feeling better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register