smoking and HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

smoking and HRT smoking and HRT

Unread 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
smoking and HRT

If I have my ovaries removed when I have my hysterectomy, can I be on any HRT if I smoke about 1/2 pack a day and I'm going to be 46??
I am already having peri menopausal symptoms so I am thinking I should have them removed and go on HRT. any opinions? I do have cysts that come and go with my cycle in my left one.
have a great day everyone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
smoking and HRT

Quick reply as I am off for dinner!

I smoke a pack a day and I am on 2mg estrogen daily. Neither my Dr on surgeon questioned it although both know I smoke.

But I wouldn't recommend having ovaries removed unless you really have to - surgical menopause is no picnic!
Unread 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
smoking and HRT

Hi!

Is your doctor suggesting that you have your ovaries removed? If your ovaries are removed, will your doctor prescribe hormones for you knowing that you are a smoker? You need to know this in advance.

I hope you will research carefully to make this important decision. Even after menopause the ovaries produce beneficial hormones. If you opt to have your ovaries removed and if you're a candidate for hormone therapy, you may be one of the lucky ones who finds the right one on the first try. Sadly, there are many Sisters who have a lot of trouble getting the right hormones to make them feel normal again--and some struggle with this for years and regret their decision to have their ovaries removed.

If your ovaries are healthy, please give serious consideration to keeping them.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
smoking and HRT

you should definitely discuss this with your dr before you make any decisions to remove your ovaries. you wouldnt want to assume he will give you hrt, only to find out he wont. surgical menopause may hit you hard and you dont want to be without help or relief. did your dr tell you that you should have your ovaries removed? what are the reasons?
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
smoking and HRT

thanks ladies...the dr said i have about 3 yrs left of ovary production (dont know how he knows i guess from all the tests i had) but he said its up to me if i want them removed or not. He said usually after 45 he removes them but i only turn 46 days after he does it so its up to me!
I m already peri menopause,so if i keep them wont i still need ERT or HRT for symptoms? Its all so confusing!

I appreciate your replies! thanks!
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM
smoking and HRT

I am 47, smoke, and use ERT but I take an anti-clotting pill as well. Talk with your Doctor, we all know smoking is not ideal anyway at any time. I had no choice re my ovaries, but hysterectomy is tough enough without having subsequent pain or impending possible surgeries at our age.
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
smoking and HRT

Hi nkellyk,

The truth is that ovaries do NOT quit producing hormones at menopause. They only slow down. If healthy, they can continue to produce estrogen and other hormones for the rest of your life. These hormones are necessary for heart health, bone health, and brain function just to name 3 good reasons that you may want to consider keeping them, especially if they are healthy.

Here is a link to Keep Ovaries During Hysterectomy? which may provide you with some information that may help you with your decision.

s,
Kay
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM
smoking and HRT

I have to say that I smoke and take an estrogen mist and I have noticed lately that I have weird chest pains. Don't know if it is related, but probably is. I would suggest you keep the ovaries if they look good. If any doubt by the doctor, then he should remove them. My surgical menopause was worse than my first natural one, but the mist has helped a lot with my symptoms. My darling doctor did not put me on anything for about a month after my TAH/BSO. Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:46 AM
smoking and HRT

Surgical menopause is no picnic and I would consider this before I removed the ovaries. As April Dawn said - many sisters find it difficult to find the right HRT balance afterwards. I suffered for months before I found a combo of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. I am still not 100% but for months I was a mess.
Unread 01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
smoking and HRT

After reading this post it makes me so nervous. I am fixing to have my last ovary removed very soon. I am 31 and a smoker and am not looking foward to surgical menopause. My dr did tell I WILL have to go on HRTs after the surgery. Not sure which one yet but I will know for sure soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register