Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT

Unread 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Cool - Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT

I am new to the website and this is my first post.

I had surgery 5 weeks ago and my doctor put me on the Climara patch .01mg. I have been doing fine until last week and I started having some dizziness, my ears are making ringing noises periodically and dull headaches. I was wandering if anyone has had those side effects from their HRT?

I would love to hear from anyone who has had these symptoms. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT

Hi. I've had the dizziness, ringing ears, and headache. It is hard to know if it is from too much or too little estrogen or from fluctuations in level of estrogen. You can have those same symptoms with any of these. You would have had some estrogen reserves in your body that you may have used up by now and so might be experiencing the change in levels.

I have noticed with Climara that one gets a tremendous of rush of estrogen all at once when the patch is first applied. This is not good actually. I got those same symptoms with Climara. You can also get those symptoms when the patch is starting to run out of estrogen, which the Climara is known to do before the stated 7 days are up.

You will have to experiment until you can get a level of estrogen that alleviates or prevents these symptoms and then try to hold that level steady, with no big ups and downs.
Unread 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Moonsong,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. Are you still using Climara? I called my doctor's office to ask about this and he wants to take me down to the next lower dose and try that. I go back for my post op appointment 1/15/08 and I am giving it a little more time to see if these symptoms change any. They are not intolerable, just annoying. Otherwise I am feeling good. If I can get rid of the dizziness, ringing ears and headache, I will be doing great!!

Thanks again....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM

I just started the .075 Climara this week but seemed to be getting too much estrogen from it. I was on the .075 original Vivelle big patch (now discontinued) for 10 years and did extremely well on it -- I'm 58. The other patches have not worked as well for me, and I am still experimenting to get the right patch and dose, now that I can't get my old patch.

You can cut pieces off the matrix patches like Climara, Vivelle Dot, and Alora, if you feel you are getting too much estrogen. If you've been at it awhile, it's sometimes good to start with a kind of higher dose when you are experimenting. That way you have leeway to cut it down till the levels feel right. Or you can start with a lower dose and if it doesn't feel like enough, cut a piece off a new patch and add it. Try to get some samples of different doses from your doctor and then fool around with it.

But when you start messing with your levels of estrogen, the body has to have time to adjust, and you might continue to have some symptoms for a while even if you've hit on the right dose for yourself. So you have to give some time between changes and observe. If major hot flashes start, though, you simply aren't getting enough. And it isn't good to go very long with a big flood of estrogen that is too much for your body.

The package inserts will tell you not to cut these patches, but, trust me, you can do it as needed, and many women do. If you cut it before you put it on, cut it with the backing intact and save the piece in the pouch, so you can use it as needed. If you peel it back and cut off a piece while it's on your skin, you'll have to throw that piece away.
Unread 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Moonsong,

I am on the .1 mg patch, I think I earlier posted .01, oops! I am 46. I am feeling pretty good other than the occasional dizzy spells. I like the patch for its convenience and not having to take pills everyday and having it pass through my liver. I had been on birth control pills forever trying to regulate the mentral symptoms and I just couldn't control the ups and downs, headaches, heavy bleeding, etc. I had fibroids and prolapsed uterus. My doctor recomended doing a TAH due to my age and the abdominal pain I was having.

I didn't have any dizziness yesterday or headache. I am still having the ringing in my ears, but I didn't notice it as often. I haven't had any hot flashes since surgery, they put me on the patch in recovery. I did have some night sweats for the first couple of weeks and they seem to be getting better too.

I go back to the doctor next week and he mentioned going on the lower dose. I just bought the .1 mg so I would have both strengths if needed if he changes it. I will keep in mind cutting the patch for smaller dose. I guess the meds are on the entire patch, not just in the center. I have a friend who did the same and she was cutting hers in half and is now off of HRT, 2 years post op.

I appreciate your information so much! It is wonderful to know I am not alone and that others have had the same thing going on.

Thank you. God bless.
Unread 01-09-2009, 04:26 PM

In the matrix patches like those mentioned above, the estrogen (estradiol) is distributed throughout the adhesive, so that's why those can be cut without affecting the patch much or at all.
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you!

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I will keep that in mind and see how I do. It is really quite a puzzle to keep our hormones in check!

Thank you so much for the info.
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Question - Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT Dizziness, headache and ears ringing with HRT

Thank you for sharing your challenges. I have noted an imporvement with my own aches but the dizziness, small annoying headaches and ears ringing continue. I am on the Vivelle Dot since my surgery.

What have you used as your info source on knowing if you have little or excessive amounts HRT levels. I find this all so difficult to figure out.

Do you have a bit of a fog with the headache?
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Mistysue, there is a place on this Web site somewhere -- do a search -- that lists symptoms of too much and too little hormone. No doubt one of the hostesses will provide the link.

The brain fog can occur with either too much or too little estrogen.

I gave up on the Vivelle Dot today. The delivery is too uneven and not as controlled as the old Vivelle patch I was used to . I gave it a week, fiddled with cutting it, adding pieces, and I just can't take it anymore. The headache and fog are so bad I can barely function. I work at a job in which I must be at the top of my game mentally at all times. I went through this before on the Dot. I went to the Alora patch today, which hasn't worked well for me, very uneven delivery, get way too much at once, but it is better (on me) than the Dot, and if I can't stand it, I will try the Climara again, and if that doesn't work, I don't know. You may be luckier than I and will hit on something soon that will do the trick for you. Good luck, and peace.
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Mistysue,

I too have had the "fog" you talked about. I had it before the hysterectomy, did really well right after the surgery and then now it is back. It is like I have a thought and it just doesn't go thru the process or it is very slow. Drives me crazy. I go to the doctor tomorrow and hope he adjusts my HRT. I am on the patch, Climara .1. I have talked to a friend of mine and she had the same thing and said she got better by cutting her patch back, which is what the doctor mentioned when I called last week, cutting the dosage back. I will let you know what I find out.

I keep a journal daily with my feelings, etc. and I have noticed that first few days after I put the patch on the headaches, dizziness, ears ringing is the most noticable. Makes me think it is the delivery of the hormone is most strong at that point.

I will get back to you. Hopefully I will have some good news! Take care and good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register