what should I tell my teenage daughters age l4 and l6? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what should I tell my teenage daughters age l4 and l6? what should I tell my teenage daughters age l4 and l6?

Unread 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
what should I tell my teenage daughters age l4 and l6?

So far I have told them only that Im having some surgery done one day. I have not told them anything else. I dont want them to worry. So what do I tell them and how much? thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM

my opinion is that theyre old enough to know the truth. my girls were both teenagers when i had mine..my son was 8. all three kids came to the hospital and were waiting in my room when i got there. they spent the day at the hospital with me.
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM

I have three kids, aged 14 and 16 (yes, that includes twins). My sons didn't want to know much at all. They knew I'd been having female pain already, so I just told them I was having a hysterectomy and that it meant my uterus would be removed. I told them some very general information about my recovery and asked them if they'd rather know more specifics ahead of time or if they'd rather get the information as needed afterward--which is what they opted for. My daughter, having the same organs as me, wanted to know more, so I told her more. I left some very general pamphlets around the house in case anyone was interested, and I'm pretty sure that both the boys at least glanced at it. My daughter read it and asked questions. The only thing my boys wanted to know was whether I would die and how it would affect their responsibilities around the house.

It was important to me for my kids to know what was happening so they could respect my needs during recovery. I have had to count on them a lot during my recovery for various things.

I know my kids worried a bit and were very relieved to see me back at home, but I decided that would be okay. Hysterectomy is one of the most low-risk surgeries a woman can have, and I decided I would rather have them worry about something and then likely see a positive outcome as a way of building their mental strength for some future medical difficulty with someone they care about.

So basically, I tried to frame the information in a way that each of them could individually handle, and I decided that it would be okay for them to worry just a bit since everything would probably turn out fine (and so far it has).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 08:03 PM

Well, I definitely wouldn't go into possible bad outcomes or dangers, but if they feel you're holding back, they will worry more.

Kara
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM

My son is a bit younger, 12, and my husband explained it to him as this " you know how a kangaroo has a pouch for her babies, well mama's have the same type of pouch, but in the inside of her tummy and she has to have it removed." I thought this was a great way to explain to a young child. My son seemed to understand.... The other thing my son as said to me was "not to worry mama you will not die." I smile and hugged him and said I am not worried....
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM

I have three daughters and girls have a more understanding about women parts than what guys do. My advice would be to let them know you are having female problems and how you hurt when Aunt Flow visits. They will truly understand because by now they hate Aunt Flow as much as you do. Let them know you are going to have a hysterectomy and let them know what type of surgery you are planning and that you will need their help while you are down. They won't have to do heavy housework everyday, but will need to help you with light housework, (your house will always be there). If they ask questions or want to know more answer them to the best of your ability. If they freak out then take it one question at a time and only when they are ready. Hope some of this helps.
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM

I have 3 kids, 10, 6 1/2 and 5. My oldest 2 are girls. The 10 year old knows that I am having my "baby factory" taken out and she knows the procedure is called a hysterectomy. I answer her questions honestly, but without too much details. She seems ok with it. My other 2 know that I am having surgery and unlike the gall bladder removal 2 1/2 years ago, I won't be coming home the same day but that they can come see me at the hospital.

I am thinking that if my 10yr old can understand it than at 14 and 16 your girls should be okay.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM

I have 4 kids, 13, 11, 8 & 7, 2 girls and 2 boys. I have explained to my eldest daughter what operation I am having and why (in pretty general terms), she was fine with it, she had no questions and I stressed that if she wanted any additional information to talk to me. To the rest them I told them I was going in to hospital to have an operation to remove the place inside where babies grow as it is not welll and causing me pain. They had no problem with it as they are aware I have had a sore tummy for quite some time so they felt it was very logical to be going to get it "fixed".

DH and I have both discussed it with them. I think it is important that you give them information. We discussed how long I would be staying at the hospital and how I would need their help during my recovery.

At 14 & 16 I think they should be well able to handle the information and would worry more if you do not explain what is happening to you.

Good luck

Broinn
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Most kids worry more the less information they have. They are old enough to know something is up - better to tell them! Try having a sit down talk. Give them the basics, and then ask what questions they have.

My daughter is six, and she knows exactly what my surgery entailed. We definitely found that the more information she had, the easier it was for her - she knew exactly what was happening, what to expect in terms of my recovery and so on. It really helped her to know things like, "Mama won't be able to pick up anything heavier than the cat for a couple of weeks, because her stitches will be healing and her belly will be sore." Concrete examples of what was happening and why, YKWIM?

At your daughters' age, you'll probably find they'll be a whole lot more helpful if they know why you're restricted on activities afterward.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register