donating blood for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

donating blood for surgery donating blood for surgery

Unread 08-20-2001, 08:51 PM
donating blood for surgery

I am schedule for surgery for Oct 9. My problem is that I want to donate blood for an Supracervical abd histo. The cost for the service is $300.00 at the hospital (I also work for this hospital). The hospital is not sure if I get a "discount" for this service and our insurance is so lacking. How many of you ladies donated, was it cover by your insurance and what was the cost?

Biffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2001, 11:03 PM

I asked my doctor about it, and he suggested I not bother.

Here are the reasons:

- It's really unlikely you will need blood.
- If you do need blood, one pint usually won't do the trick.
- Storing up 3-4 pints costs 3-4x more, and takes months.
- You're better of keeping it and keeping yourself strong.

I'm sure there are as many reasons in favor of donating, but that's how I made my decision.
Unread 08-21-2001, 04:46 AM

Biffer - I didn't donated blood either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 04:50 AM

I had a TAH/BSO, with a partial colon resection to boot and
didn't require a drop of blood. It's very unlikely you will either.
I agree with the responder who said it's better to keep your
strength up.
Unread 08-21-2001, 05:40 AM
donating blood

Biffer...

Hello

I had TAH/BSO on June 7, 2001. Donatiing blood was also a concern for me. I spoke with my drs office and they said not to bother because odds were I would not need any of it. I did not donate any blood and I did not require a drop during my surgery. The nurse at my drs office stated that "this is generally not a bloody procedure" (you don't loose alot of blood).

I also agree with Linda (Horsewoman) who stated you are better off keeping it (it will help you through the surgery and during healing). Hope this helps.

's
Unread 08-21-2001, 08:48 AM
Hi Biffer!

I just donated a pint of blood yesterday for my 8-31-01 TVH.
Because it was "doctor's orders" the insurance company will pick
up the tab. And my is very experienced and is highly
respected.

If it turns out that I will need blood (which is unlikely), I feel
comfortable knowing that it is my own blood vs. someone else's.

That's my opinion! Hope this helps!
Unread 08-21-2001, 11:27 AM

My doctor and insurance requires it. I lost over 2 pintsof blood and needed theo ne that I donated. granted my surgery wass more complicated - TVH/ with bladder repair (very little fascia to work with) for a cystocele and minor rectocele repair AND lost my left ovary. What was originally to be a 90 min. surgery lasted 3 hours. I even h ave to go back and have them cauterize a fallopian tube that poked through all the mess.

Not trying to sound defeatist, but DO AS YOUR DOCTOR ORDERS. I would 10 times rather get my own blood back if I needed it, or pass along the blood if I do not need it - than to take blood out of an already short supply for someone who might need it in case of an emergency. This is planned surgery and I tried to cover all my bases in preparation. If I had needed the blood and had not replaced it I would have been charged anyhow.
Unread 08-21-2001, 12:08 PM

My doctors gave me the option either way, saying that normally they did not need the blood. With a month away from my surgery I decided I would go ahead and donate at least 1 pint. They can keep blood fresh (blech term) for 42 days and it takes the body about 4 days to replenish. I decided that I would donate about 30 days before and would be okay after with lots of "recovery" time. May have my dh donate, as I know he is safe and blood type is compatible.

They will not let you donate 1 week prior to your surgery and if you get sick within 3-5 days after giving blood, you have to call them and let them know, so they will discard the blood you donated as they consider it infected (germ-wise) and don't want to reinfect you with a cold virus or anything.

I would guess it also depends on how many issues you have with your surgery, what type of hysto, etc.; not to mention if you are anemic or not (which is a no go).

One unfortunate thing about the donating of blood is that most places will not use the blood or put it in donation for anyone else if you do not use it. They just discard it. This is even so where I donated it and they do 7 tests on your own blood for you and it would be therefore as "safe" as any in a blood bank. (What a waste.)

Patricia
Unread 08-21-2001, 03:34 PM
I am donating

After discussion with my doctor, I opted to donate my own blood. My hematocrit is fine, I have a rare blood type, and I had time. The hospital I am going to charges $130-$150 per pint and my insurance does not pick up the cost at all. I am donating 2 units.

The blood is not available to others if I do not use it, because the federal government requires more tests than are needed for auto-logous donation. To run all the tests the government requires for blood to be available for donation would raise the cost even higher.

Also, the place I donated stores blood for 35 days only and then it goes into the dumper. My surgery was rescheduled so I will end up donating three units. They could have frozen the first pint and held it for use but that costs over $500.

I am having an additional procedure which will mean I will most likely have a significant blood loss, so the auto-logous donation makes sense. I am minimally worried about the safety of the blood supply, but am mostly wanting to try to avoid any reactions.

Susan
a.k.a. Greybraids

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register