Huge fibroids, cyctic ovaries, hyster recommended | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Huge fibroids, cyctic ovaries, hyster recommended Huge fibroids, cyctic ovaries, hyster recommended

Unread 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Huge fibroids, cyctic ovaries, hyster recommended

Hello,
I am 45, had two children over 11 years ago, infertile since, diagnosed with fibroids 10 years ago which are now over 13 mm each. Last Sunday I had a cyst burst on my left ovary and have had a "stitch" in my side for over a week (Ultrasound done, awaiting results). My sister diagnosed with ov cancer in Mar 08, total hyst and doing well. My dr recommends a total hysterectomy bc of family cancer history. I also have intestinal issues (all my life, since onset of period), undiagnosed but seems like IBS or diverticulitis. Wondering if that is related somehow. My hormones have been unbalanced my whole life it seems, bad pms symptoms, facial hair all my life and recently, very heavy, long periods. I had difficulty getting and staying pregnant with both pregnancies and lost two to miscarriage (low progesterone).

I don't WANT a hysterectomy but I am beginning to think it may be my best option. My female system just seems broken! lol! I want to find out if I am a candidate for DaVinci robotics. I am wondering if I get rid of my whole system if I might feel better than I have my whole life (this is what my sister says...). I am wondering what will happen to my "drive", if you know what I mean...I am wondering if I will gain weight (I have 15 lbs hanging around my middle right now...). I am wondering if I will experience mood swings. I am wondering if I will get "old" really fast.

Any thoughts?
Paula in Fl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Hi Paula

I had my hysterectomy for multiple fibroids and cysts and I am 3 years older than you to start with.

My drive is coming back 5 months post op. Other than our first attempt (which was terrifying!) I have been fine once we get going but wasn't interested in initiating but I was this week for the first time.

I have lost weight which the Dr is concerned about as I wasn't big to start with.

I actually have less mood swings now that I am not in constant discomfort or pain than before. I had one day post op when I was very snappy but that was down to tiredness. I am taking HRT though which may help - I tried without but at 8 weeks the night sweats and hot flashes were just too much.

I don't feel any older, nobody is treating me any older so I suspect I am still the young at heart me :-)

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.

Hugs

Katy
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM

Can you help me with what the acronyms mean? TAH (Total Abd Hyst)? BSO?

Do I assume that you had your cervix removed also and if so, did everything "work" like it was supposed to, with intimacy?

When you go to some of these other sites, there sure is a lot of negative stuff to wade through. This whole things is scary and confusing! I am reading about women whose vaginas are shortened too much...or that they have no feeling left.

I had originally decided to try to remove the fibroids in some manner but then with other issues, started thinking it might be better to just shed the whole thing, hormones and all, but I can also see getting a whole new set of problems.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM

Hi Paula, I had a TAH for a large 20x14x12 Fibroid. I was leaving my cervix & ovaries, but during surgery they thought it did not look right & took out my ovaries & cervix. Thank God it was not cancer, but my parts were taken out so nothing I can do about it know. I had both horizontal & vertical cuts because the fibroid was so large,, I feel much better w/out it & I am glad it is done. The 1st couple of weeks I was tired, but I really never had much pain. If I would have waited any longer, who knows what complications could have happened.
I have lost about 12 pounds so far, & hope to continue.
I have minor heat waves, not too bad so I am not on HRT.
As far as if everything works, well sometimes yes & sometimes no. I really don't have a drive for it, but once we get started sometimes it works, I think if I think about it too much, that is when I have a harder time. That is the only thing that bothers me. I feel bad for my DH, but I am not even 3 mos out, so I hope each day brings me closer to my old self.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for your transparency! :-) I know it is hard to talk about this part of things...and it is such a concern.

Your weight loss is great and encouraging!

I do not really want to go hrt either so it is good to hear that it is manageable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register