Suggestions for first two weeks of recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Suggestions for first two weeks of recovery? Suggestions for first two weeks of recovery?

Unread 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Abdominal Hysterctomy Jan. 12

Hello Sisters! Well after a long and painful couple of years, I finally made the choice to have the surgery. I just got out of the hospital and am trying to make the transition of being back with my family. I am having pain trying to pass gas, getting out of bed, and I feel that the medicine is making me feel foggy. I do have to admit that everyday is a little better but I really am trying to focus on one day at a time. Any suggestions about the first two weeks would be beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Welcome Home!

Glad you are home safely!!

For the first 2 weeks, I would do very little. Get up only to use the rest room or shower. My DH actually got in the shower with me everyday until I was stronger. Big help!! I would always have some one home with you too. Keep a pillow on your abdomen so your kids, cats, etc don't jump on it and hurt it. My DH stayed home with me for quite a few days. He kept a chart of my meds, and brought them all to me on time. He brought me my meals, snacks, magazines. All I had to worry about was getting better!!

Hang in there! Every day does get better. It will be a long road for all of us, but we will all be much healthier at the end!!
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Suggestions for first two weeks of recovery?

Hi! to HysterSisters!

Hopefully your doctor provided you with discharge orders when you were released from the hospital. If not, it would be a good idea to call and ask specifically what you are and are not allowed to do.

Common restrictions are no driving, lifting, housework and no sex. Usually short, frequent walks are encouraged. You'll find some good tips in the Checkpoints Weeks 1 - 2 and in the Post-Op Page.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Do lots of small walks to help keep things moving. Rest a lot. Gas-x really helps with the gas pains. Getting off the narcotis was helpful to me (if you are already not off them). Just take it very slow & be good to yourself. You have a lot of healing to do but it sounds like you are doing well. It gets boring but take it easy. Best wishes.
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM

Lots of rest and short walks are definitely very important. I was told to lift only my pillow and a cup of tea the first 2 weeks, and that was about all the strength I had. A shower and blow drying my hair would be followed by a nap.

All the best to a speedy and healthy recovery.
Unread 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Trinwill,
If yo udon't really need the narcotics, I would stop them and go to just Tylenol or Ibuprofen. But, ost of all I would try to get up and walk to get things moving around. Also, you may want to look at what you are eating to see if yo ucan make some changes. Did you have abdominal or vaginal? Mine was vaginal so if yours was ab, I may not be able to relate to that much pain.
Good luck!
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM

the swelly belly band was a great thing for me, especially once I started keeping it in the freezer. It gives cooling relief (I always put one layer of clothing between it and my skin) and a sense of support due to the velcro. I would take pain meds on a schedule and write it down so you dont forget,unless you honestly feel like you dont need pain meds anymore. TAKE IT EASY ask for help when you need it and accept all offers of assistance and meals to aide not only you, but your spouse/partner and live-in family. I often cashed in favors extended to me, in order to support my lovely partner as she was with me in the hospital around the clock and afterwards at home as well. Another woman told me that Walk n' Water are the key. Walk when you can, but not too excess or pain and drinks lots of water. That has been key and get those bowels moving--that is worse than the surgery at times
take care
Unread 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Eat little and often, try to walk around for 10 minutes of each hour during the day, drink water.

Try and get of pain meds as soon as you can as they can constipate you. Walking and water will help move the gas and help BM's.

I stayed downstairs most of the day and only napped in bed a little. It helped me to sleep better at night.

I tried to shower every other day and got out of my PJ's in to sweat pants every day so that I felt more human.

By the start of the second week I was out walking (slowly & holding my tummy) with my sister and the dog but found that for each period of activity I needed an equal period of rest.
Unread 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM

This is only my second week, but I can offer what I have found to be helpful. In my opinion, the following can be helpful...Laying down with your feet propped up is benefical but just as much is walking around...only as much as you can handle. And you may find that your body tries to reject the idea of walking. Take it easy and listen to what your body says. Limit the stairs if you can. Take Gas pills and stool softener or laxatives if your body can handle them. An abdominal binder is very helpful. I had a TAH and for me, there is a huge difference between wearing it and not wearing it. When I walk around I really need the binder as well as when sleeping. I take breaks from it when sitting or lying on the couch. Take a nice shower (with someone in the bathroom with you). For me, a shower just got rid of the "sick and hurting blahs". Some women can handle going for little drives and some can't. I personally can not But going outside for just a few minutes to get fresh air livens me up a bit. It is freezing outside, so I am outside very little haha. If you tend to get restless easily, have ask someone to get you magazines, movies, crafts, etc to keep you occupied. Never be afraid to ask for help!
Hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register