would like to have tummy tuck @ same time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

would like to have tummy tuck @ same time would like to have tummy tuck @ same time

Unread 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
would like to have tummy tuck @ same time

My doc scheduled davinci TVH for Feb 19, but i have a c-section scar and would like to do TAH with a tummy tuck
could anyone give me advice on this how can I find a doc to do both or is it necessary to have PS and gyn doc and if I do go with the robotic hyst how will i feel post-op is it better than TAH thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 02:19 PM

Where you see ladies have a tummy tuck at the same time as hyster it is because the incision is already being made so far as I know. So it's not a "tummy tuck" as would be normally done but removal of extra flesh. So it wouldn't be done with a TVH so far as I can determine.
Unread 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpence
My doc scheduled davinci TVH for Feb 19, but i have a c-section scar and would like to do TAH with a tummy tuck
could anyone give me advice on this how can I find a doc to do both or is it necessary to have PS and gyn doc and if I do go with the robotic hyst how will i feel post-op is it better than TAH thanks for your help
I would think you would have to talk to your surgeon about your options and also talk to a plastic surgeon so he would be there at the same time to remove the extra skin and close you up.

I've not had this done, so I have no idea how it really works, but you should at least get a call in to your surgeon's office about wanting this additional surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM

Great conversation to have with the doctor.

There have been ladies who have had tummy tuck surgery (or panniculectomies which remove extra fat and skin as the one sister mentioned, which is what I had) along with the hyst, but yes, there is usually an abdominal incision being made. I have not heard of a tt happening with a laproscopic or vaginal surgery... not that it can't be done, of course.

Please let us know what you find out, and maybe a (((sister))) who has had this done along with a DaVinci procedure will come along to share.
Unread 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM

I had SAH. Prior, I asked this question. My doc said she thought I would have a tough time finding a good surgeon because they are skittish to do it at the same time as a hyst. I said WHY? She said that in doing a hyst, you are working in areas that have bacteria, etc. The RISK of infection would be much greater post op this way. If you do a TT by itself, it is isolated and someone was not in there moving all you organs around and cutting a few out.

That said, I see some women do have it done. But my Gyn is considered #1 in CT by peers so I am letting that slide to the time where I get my complete overhaul. They can repair my VERTICAL incision, do a little lipo and get that jawline tighter!!!

Good luck!
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM

I was hoping to be able to do the two at once also, but my doctor gave me the same answer as Wimpy got. He said the risk of complications from infection would be to high to do both. I guess my tummy tuck will have to wait.
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm getting both done! My reproductive endocrinologist says he does it all the time. I just had to find a plastic surgeon who was willing to coordinate with the RE's schedule. You would have to have an incision from hip to hip for a full tummy tuck (where they repair diastasis in your muscles) which would take significantly longer to recover from than from a laparoscopic surgery. Definitely talk to your doctor - you won't know until you ask.
Unread 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Lucky you Kathy C! Not that I'm in dyer need for one, it's just that I was hoping to get rid of my ugly vertical c-section scar and the small pouch I have. A lower scar I could hide would be nice.
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM

I had a tvh without tummy tuck BUT the owner of my husbands company had her surgery 2 months before mine and did have a tummy tuck. She was scheduled for a tvh but her fibroids ended up too large and they decided to do a tah- where both the plastic surgeon and gyno were together and worked hand in hand. She showed us the video of her surgery she had them take. The plastic surgeon made the "skin/ fat incision hip to hip, then the gyno took over and did a complete hysterectomy bso. Once he completed the vaginal cuff and tacked it to an abdominal muscle, he turned it over to the plastic surgeon. He pulled her tummy skin down like he was pulling down blinds, lipped so fat out from under her upper torso/ tummy area, pulled the skin down again until he felt it was flat and what he called "lumpless" LOL and then he cut off the extra skin and sutured the area closed. She healed as quickly as I did and I had no external cuts! Had she had a lah they told her that the plastic surgeon would have made his skin cut first and the laproscope would have been inserted ( without going through putter skin as to not "poke through" skin that would be left after the tt. If she was able to have the tvh, the gyno would have done his job and then plastics would do theirs after. They did tell her they could do it either way but if she was having a tummy tuck where muscles needed tightened they would just do a tah as it's easier for the doc to do a hysterctomy that way anyhow. But since her muscles were tight, it didn't matter.

Here in Ohio, as long as you can get a plastics doc to coordinate with the gyno and hospital.... Anything goes..... The lady who went in before me had a facelift, lipo, and tummy tuck with her hysterectomy. Said she wanted to only have to heal once and look as differently as she was hoping to feel. She did well also.

Good luck to you! I envy anyone amble to have a ty. I would love one, 3 kids and non elastic skin left me with what they tell me is called a skirt. I can loose all the weight I have on my body and still have this.... So good for you! Good luck, wishes of quick and successful healing to you

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register