Big Stupid Questions!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Big Stupid Questions!!! Big Stupid Questions!!!

Unread 08-21-2001, 05:19 PM
Big Stupid Questions!!!

O.K.,I've been waiting on someone else to post this one, but it looks like it is up to me.DO THEY ALWAYS SHAVE YOU? I kind of thought I would shave myself the night before if that was the case.But I would feel really stupid to go and do that and then it not be mandatory.I kind of thought I would do that myself.I know (it ) will be all up in the air for the world to see while I'm having surgery,But I will be asleep, so I won't care who sees (it) then.
AND any suggestions on what is the most comfortable panties for afterward ? I kind of thought that low and off of the stomach might be best.But then those giant panties like my grandmother wears might do a little better.I'm open for suggestions??????
And I read something about no carbonated drinks.If this is the case I better get used to no carbonation or I will thirst to death.
One week to go and I still feel like I have NOTHING done.I have been shopping for new short gowns,houseshoes, housecoat, etc. I guess I will go even if I'm not ready.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 05:27 PM
No Shaving for me!

Hi Laura!

I had a TVH, and no one did any shaving. THANK Heavens! I didn't want to deal with the itchies later. Of course, others have been stuck with the shaving even though they had the same procedure.

As for the panties, I went for the big ones like grandma wears, but I didn't feel any pain at all with any kind of clothes, be it panties or pants.

As for the no carbonated drinks, my nurses brought me Sprite and Diet Coke, so they didn't think carbonation was a problem. I think it's a personal thing, but if you do drink soda, gas is more probable. However, I think gas is inevitable, so I figured I might as well have a little soda now and then. I did, however, drink a ton of water as well!

Best of luck. My TVH was a breeze, and my recovery is still going well.

Take care!!!
Unread 08-21-2001, 05:41 PM
Shaving

Hi,

I had a SAH and They shaved me below. which now is a pain, because now the hair is starting to grow back and it itches.

Now as far as the panties. I love wearing bikinis, however I went to the walmart and stocked up on some big bloomers. I found that those were more comfortable. I know how you feel about running around trying to get everthing done. Don't worry everything will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 06:08 PM
Big Stupid Questions!!!

Hi...

I had TAH/BSO and was not shaved. It depends on the location of the incision and your doctor's preference.

I would suggest that you ask your doctor about this at your pre-op meeting...put it on your list. DO NOT shave yourself without checking, as you can nick yourself (even a teeny un-noticable nick) and risk infection. Many doctors do not want you shaved for that reason! If they want you to do it at home, they'll tell you (usually accompanied by a betadine wash), otherwise let the hospital take care of it for you. (it's the least they can do...would be nice to wake up to a pedicure, hmmm.....)

But do ask, so you won't spend time worrying and wondering! Good question!

I went for the granny bloomers...two sizes larger, all cotton. (VERY attractive, but who cares!!). They were very comfortable, didn't irritate my tender skin, and make great flags for surrendering with later on.

s

Karen
Unread 08-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Big Stupid Questions!!!

I had a TLAH/BSO and they did shave me. I loved the big underwear. Being bloated, I was
afraid bikini underwear would feel like it always needed pulled up. My doctor told me no on
carbonated drinks. You should be able to call you doctor and ask if they will be shaving you,
if they are then I would let them know that you prefer to do that ahead of time. I have read that some doctors would rather do it at time of surgery, maybe because of the chance of you causing nicks and cuts and having bacteria there.
I am 2 weeks post-op and doing very well.
Take care
Unread 08-21-2001, 07:09 PM
There are no stupid questions here!

I'm pre-op TAH, but my Dr. told me they would not shave me. She said that was in the "old days". I think every Dr. has their own preference. Best of luck to you, and enjoy the shopping!
Unread 08-21-2001, 08:07 PM
to shave or not to shave : )

TVH kept ovaries 8/16/01

I did not have to shave or be shaved. I was given plenty of goodies at the pre-op party tho to make up for it: douche, enema, soaped sponge for shower.

I also didn't have a single scope hole on my tummy. I was told to expect 1-5 incisions, but I guess I got lucky ? ?

I am terrible when getting packed to go anywhere, to make sure the house is clean, have the shopping done, etc. I finally decided what was truly vital as I ran out of time last week, and did without the rest. I would have liked the house cleaner, but maybe the few visitors I have had (church people dropping off dinner each night) will feel sorry for me and come back to clean as well : )

I hate to have details unknown until the last minute, but I would also wait until your pre-op appt to find out what they want you to do. Even tho I 'wear it short' anyways, but shaving is a total different subject.

As for the panties, loose sounds the best. I did wear my normal size but they are high waisted to start with. The sweats I wore home from the hospital were tight on my belly by the time I got there.

good luck and relax !
Unread 08-21-2001, 08:22 PM
Granny Panties

On the advice of the women on this site, I bought granny panties - 2 sizes larger white cotton. I get to be shaved tomorrow - yeah hoo! I also have to do the enema tonight and betadine douch tomorrow morning. Guess I just got lucky.
Unread 08-22-2001, 12:12 AM
Big Stupid Questions!!!

I shave normally anyway, so I'll just shave before I go to the Castle. I know, sounds
weird but thats me. I did get my robe bought also my slippers. I went over
to the Goodwill Store for x-tra big t-shirt nightgowns. Cost about $2.00 a piece. I
don't have to worry if something gets on them, also very cute. And yes I have the
gas-x and lip balm. The hospital called yesterday and pre-registered me and are setting me
up for a private room. (Thanks to all of you who answered my post). Thursday I see the
surgical nurse. We are on count down now! My "Farewell to Uterus" party is this Saturday
night.
Unread 08-22-2001, 04:56 AM
Big Stupid Questions!!!

Laura....

Hello

Great question!!!

No, they did not shave me. I had a TAH/BSO and was left alone (thank goodness - don't think I could deal with the itchies!!!!).

As with the other ladies who responded....I went with the granny panties (very comfortable - lacked in style). Tried to wear my bikini's when I ran out (VERY UNCOMFORTABLE - rubbed on my incision).

Hope your visit at the castle goes well and please continue to post your questions here (I was alway told that the only stupid question is the UNASKED one).

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register