discovered hystersisters today yipeee!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

discovered hystersisters today yipeee!! discovered hystersisters today yipeee!!

Unread 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
discovered hystersisters today yipeee!!

I've only found out that I'm to have a TAH, and its been a bit of a shock. I'd prepared myself for the laporoscopy on Jan. 9th which wasn't a problem as I'v had the endemetriosis treated that way before, but to discover that it isn't sufficient any longer came as a real gunk!
It's the recovery period that is frightening me. I generally can't sit still for 10mins let alone weeks at a time. My mother and partner are already threatening to selotape me to the bed in order to keep me still. Can anyone tell me approx how long I can expect to be imobile? Any other preop tips would be appreciated.
I look forward to contacting you all and have found this site a godsend and wealth of info.
I don't have a specific date for the op yet but I know it will be sometime towards the end of Feb. I'd love to hear from someone on the same time line.
Best to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM

I found Hystersisters while looking for info after I learned of my need for a hyst too. I found so much info and support that I'm still here, 6 years later.
Just ask any question that you may have; the ladies are wonderful with sharing their experiences, info & support.

The recovery period seems to vary a bit depending on the type of hysterectomy, anything extra that may be done, and one's personal health. It normally ranges from 6-8 weeks. It can be a bit shorter or longer though.
But, you should not really need to be imbobile much at all. I was gotten up & sent to the showers tha day after my tah/bso. After that I walked the hospital halls as much as possible. That really helped get rid of the nasty gas & helped me regain my strength. You will have some restrictions and need to go slow and easy. Just be sure to follow your dr's orders and listen to your own body.

You can find lots of wonderful Articles, Resources and Checkpoints by visiting the Pre-op page Click here .

Best wishes.

Unread 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Welcome to the site, Luckymutt!
You should be fairly mobile after your surgery; the trickiest part for me was not to do that lifting I was told not to do. Once I'm mobile, I find I'm carrying stuff from one spot to the other.

Buy yourself some soft, non-binding slacks, underwear and/or loose gowns. I bought fleece sweat pants, soft long underwear, soft pajamas and fleecy slippers. Set up a location in your home (away from your bed) were you can nap easily, but have your books to read or laptop computer or, as in my case, a coloring book. LOL When you pack for the hospital stay, buy a sachet, perhaps of lavendar or some nice floral aroma, so when you open up your case you smell something other than hospital. That really helped me. And if you wear glasses to read, don't forget to bring those to the hosital with you. I brought a crossword book...I did do that a little bit but the after-effects of the anesthesia and pain-killer numbed my brain cells.
I hope a bit of this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Hi Robin,

thanks for the tips. A coloring book sounds good. It might be a thought for the time when my brain will be numbed by the anesthetic, creative drug induced coloring might be something to laugh about when the stitches stop hurting.LOL

Everyone, just everyone has warned me about the lifting! I hope I can be disciplined enough with myself to ignore the housework. DH says he will lock the hoover away. I think he's more worried about my op than I am myself. "Bless his wee cotton socks" TeeHee!!

I see that your op was the 14th, I'm sure you are still feeling delicate. I Hope you are having a speedy recovery. Just be sure to be good to yourself. I read a post yesterday that made me think. "We only have one chance to recover properly so take it!" The last thing you want is to do is end up in the castle again irregardless of how great the care was.

Ta lots also for your wish for a relaxing and healing day. Its 1:10pm here in Belfast and so far my day has not been relaxing. I have gremlins in my mobile phone and my computer. My mom is currently in hospital with a clot on her lung but was to be released today. That doesn't look very likely at the moment tho. Oh well things can only get better. Here's hoping your lovely wishes have banished the pesky little blighters and my luck will improve.

As for comfy clothing, I am still recovering from the lapro I had last week which determined the need for the hyster, I am currently living in fleecy pajamas and am well stocked up with loose clothes. I'm improving daily tho and hope to be in street clothes in a day or two.

Well Robin it was lovely to hear from you today and I hope to again. I'll send you a big Irish HUG girl. To the universe I'll send lots of healing thoughts with your name attached.

Take it easy n happy healing,

All our love,
sally n mutts Lucky [jack russell] Jodi[springer spanial]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register