Hysterectomy because of Adenomyosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy because of Adenomyosis Hysterectomy because of Adenomyosis

Unread 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hysterectomy because of Adenomyosis

Hello,
I've just signed on to this website and I'm really glad I found you!
I have Adenomyosis and have tried every treatment in the book. Before I found out this I'd had uterine ablation after many miscarriages, and stillborn child and one successful pregnancy. I'm having periods weekly now and I'm so tired!
I went to my Gyno today and I'm going to have a hysterectomy. I'm relieved but very nervous.
Is there anyone else who's had a hysterectomy because of this condition?
If so I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks loads
Bexster
xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi Bexster! I also had adenomyosis, along with ruptured cysts and cervical dysplasia. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on Sept 10th, 2008. My doctor told me it was the only choice I had. I was very nervous too, and scared. I am only 29, and that is a scarey thing to think about. I did keep my right ovary, so I don't have to worry about menopause right now, which is a good thing. Just trust your doctor, get a second opinion if you want/need to. I also had a previous endometrial ablation, and that didn't help anything. Having my TAH was the best decision for me. I am started to get back to normal finally, still have the ol' swelly belly though. However, I feel lots better now. You never have to worry about a period again! Best wishes to you and good luck with your surgery!
Unread 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Bexster!

Welcome to HysterSisters! You're story is kind of similar to mine. I always had irregular periods and as I got older, they became more regular. Eventually, I finally found myself bleeding continuously and in addition to fibroids, my doctor suspected adenomyosis. I always had terrible cramps, pain and was anemic from bleeding so much. My doctor and I decided it was time for a hysterectomy and being very nervous, I had a TVH in April 2004. Pathology confirmed adenomyosis and fibroids.

I kept my ovaries and I've done very well since surgery. No more pain and of course, the bleeding has stopped. For me, even though it wasn't what I wanted to do, it was the best thing in my situation.

This link in the HysterSisters Resource database is a good overview of adenomyosis and you might find it helpful.

Adenomyosis

You aren't alone. There are many of us adeno girls around here so you should get lots of shared experiences. Be sure to add your surgery date to your profile when you get it so you'll get the very best support!

I wish you the best!

:cybhug:

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Hi! I had adenomyosis as well and just had my hysterectomy 7 days ago. I'm still in the recovery stage. From what the doctor said about my uterus when she removed it, I made the right decision. Just waiting to start getting back to normal but it will be awhile!

You will get lots of great info here!

Michele
Unread 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Prior to my lap in June I had sporadic cycles, getting closer and closer together, and lighter and lighter. Pain during sex and bleeding afterwards as well as between period spotting. I had a D&C a year ago which showed my uterus was completely full of endometrial tissue. I was given bc at that time. I had ablation at the time of my lap and Lupron. My Dr. said they could not determine if I had adenomyosis from pathology because of the ablation. Do these symptoms sound right to anyone who had that diagnosis?
Unread 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
adenmyosis

I am having a TAH in Feb because my dr feels that I have adenomyosis. We have beenbattling 3 week to 6 month long periods for a a year and a half. She recommened against the abaltion becaus eshe told me she strogly beleives it is adenomyosis. I have been feeling the same you have. I am so glad I found this sight. It has made me feel goos about my descions to have the TAH. I really feel it is going to be the only answer to stopping the agony of the long periods due to the adenomyosis.
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Hi Bexster, I too have been diagnosed with Andenomyosis. I have had very heavy and long periods for the last few years. I am going in on Monday for my TAH. I am a little nervous but will be happy to be rid of the period & pain. You are right this is a great sight! Lots of info & support!
Take care,
Kelly
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM

To everyone on this forum who has not had their hysterectomy yet or are debating about it....
I had a TAH 9 October last year and I can say that for me it was the best thing that I have done for my body. My gyno never did figure out why I had had my period for 8 months until the pathology results came back as polyps and adenomyosis. I have kept my ovaries (yay) and I am now not anemic. My only problem with recovery was that I felt fine but still wasn't allowed to do anything. I was really worried about sex after my operation because I wan't keeping my cervix and yes apparently it does feel different (so my husband says). Our sex life is better than ever I now have NO pain during sex its now not even uncomfortable and I can definately still orgasm. I have no regrets over having my TAH. The only weird thing is that I still get PMS pimples and sore breasts....so I know when I should have my period.

Fairy Jane
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Secretarymoss~
Hello~ I have also been diagnosed w/ adenomyosis, after my LAP 12/17/08. How are you feeling? How was the surgery for you?
I had the same symptoms as you. Periods b 4 kids were far apart every 35-37 days. Now they are every 22-27 days. But bleeding is very heavy, changing the biggest cotton rocket I can find in less than an hour. I also have pain during sex and sometimes bleeding after. Mama Mia.
I have my surg scheduled for 2/17/08.(LAVH) I hope it fits thru there, I have had c-sections. and I know my uterus is enlarged. Doc thinks there is a 93% chance he can do it LAVH, but If it does not fit maybe do abdominally. YIKES!!!

Sounds like you had Adenomyosis to me. I hope you have a smooth recovery and that you are feeling like "you" again real soon.
Best Wishes!
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:36 PM

I had adenomyosis too. I was having heavy bleeding. I would come on twice a month. I would have one week before,during and 4 days after my cycle. I was anemic as well. I would have clots for 1 /12 days during my cycle as well. I had a MRI because I was told that I had alot of fibroids. The MRI revealed tears in the uterus. The Radiologist confirmed that I had Adenomyosis. My 1st GYN gave me two choice the abaltion or hysterectomy. She primarily left me in limbo. After another month of suffering I sought a second opinion. my second GYN listened to me about my plight. She wasn't an advocate for hysterectomy but given my diagnosis the surgery was my only option. I was tired of how my life had changed. I spent more money on black clothes. I was tired all the time. I was anemic,grumpy 'mean I had lost a valued quality of life. My life was scheduled around my cycles. So after a couple of days of thought I made the decision to have the surgery. I am much happier and healthier now. I am active more. I am beginning to feel like my old self again. Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register