I'm concerned about getting into my bed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm concerned about getting into my bed I'm concerned about getting into my bed

Unread 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm concerned about getting into my bed

My pre op is scheduled for tomorrow. My belly protrudes as though I am six months pregnant, thanks to the lovely mass I have in my uterus. I am having a complete hyst...and I haven't any clue how my abs will ever get back to normal. The whole bed thing has me perplexed too! I'm concerned about getting into my bed. It is just a tad high, because I have the extra thick mattress. So I'm thinking of getting a foot stool, I mean I can get on my bed now, but how do you do it without using the ab muscles? Realistically, how do you do anything? I'm finding it difficult to speak with some friends, as they have no sympathy or experience about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM

You will feel so much better. I feel great and I am at 3 months post op and I am back to running, spinning and swimming. Starting Yoga in February, so your life will begin again real soon. Just be kind to yourself. The first couple of days was a learning experience trying to figure out how far to go with leaning forward to get out of bed and walking around. I gave up vacumming for over two months and any heavy lifting like groceries until nearly 3 months. Started in with long walks around 6 weeks, even though I couldn't completely stand up straight. Listen to your body and go slow. I slept down stairs on the convertable sofa for about a month to avoid stairs. It really isn't that bad and you will figure it out as you go along and make adjustments as you need to. The greatest advice I did get which I used was putting a step stool in the tub/shower so I could sit while bathing for about two weeks as my incision made me nervous to stand up and shower...but that is just me.
Unread 01-22-2009, 05:27 PM

A foot stool by your bed sounds like a good idea. I am tall so I did not use a foot stool. I sat on the side of my extra thick mattress and took a hold on the headboard with one arm while I swung my legs up. There are other hystersisters who have posted tips on getting into bed. They will probably be along soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM

I don't have a tall bed, but I would suggest that you make sure you have a really big footstool, something you can put both feet on at once. You may also want to keep a cane or a chair nearby to help steady yourself as you're shifting in and out of bed.
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:53 PM

A stool should help you. You will just have to take it slow. You will figure out how to roll over, sit up, etc. Pillows may help as well. I put a blanket and pillow in the rocking chair in our bedroom. I would get tired of laying down, but not really up to being up. So sitting in the chair helped me. Your muscles are going to be really sore for a while. But it does get better. Take one day at a time.
Unread 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM

I had one of those big beds... and I'm short enough to need a footstool to get in and out even with no surgery. Here's how I solved the issue -- I slept on the couch for nearly two months.

The first couple of weeks, I actually slept mostly sitting up with pillows all around me and my feet propped up on the coffee table with pillows. Not ideal, but I couldn't even lie down properly! I learned this when I attempted the "normal" sleeping position, only to wake up in horrible pain (everything had "worn off") and it took me 10 minutes to get myself sitting up, then standing. I shuffled off to get my pain meds and vowed I was not going to lie down until I was ready.

The other thing is that whenever I'm newly post-op, my sleep patterns are very off. I sleep for shorter periods, like 1-2 hours. So I'm up alot during the night, and by sleeping on the couch I can watch all of that late-night TV and not bother DH. I probably could have physically gotten into bed by week 4, but it took another couple of weeks before I slept through the night.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-22-2009, 08:14 PM

i have a tall bed too and i have actually found it easier to manuver than short beds like in the hospital. i just got home and i have been in and out of bed all day(first day home and i can't sit still) getting in i climb on bed knee first then i get to the spot i wnat to lay and sit i have a ton of pillows of varying shapes sizes and firmness so i never move much of my torso. to get out of bed i have a big firm pillow that i roll myself off of. the main thing is to not reach or twist your body. also you can place your hands firmly by your sides and pushoff of them to move up and plant you feet and use your legs to move down. good luck
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM

I slept on a pullout couch for a few days which was nice and low. Then I graduated to my bed that is high for me. I used a kitchen stepladder, just the first step to get into and out of bed for a few days. I'm two weeks out and can maneuver around just fine without help. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

I have a tall bed and the first 2 days were a challenge even with the footstool. I learned to SLOWLY get both feet on the stool then turn and sit. Your body will let you know if you twist the wrong way. At first my DH would help swing my legs onto the bed but somehow I pulled a muscle in my pelvic area, I think from trying too hard to keep from using the stomache muscles....oh and no matter what, just as soon as I made it into to bed, the urge to pee would hit.. however I am now 4 weeks post op and all that is just a memory. I can now get in and out of bed with no trouble.......remember to "pamper the princess"
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the support and hints

I am greatful for all the wonderful tips. And I think the couch is gonna win. Tomorrow is my pre-op and I think I am now officially getting a bit anxious. I really don't know why. I know I will be fine, but I guess I'm just afraid. I am also afraid of a sagging belly once this is done. Will I ever be somewhat normal? HRMPH! And when do I meet my anesthesiologist..? Does anyone know this one? What is the protocol on that?

Chi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register