Worried about help following surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about help following surgery Worried about help following surgery

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Worried about help following surgery

Im having TLH on friday the 13th of feb.My daughter tells me its a bad day .I personally have had good luck on friday the 13th .I am a little worried about what Im going to feel like afterwards. Ive had 2 c sections and they werent as horrible as so many people have said.My hubby drives truck so he can only stay home with me 1 week post op. I could have my teenage daughter stay home the following week just wondering if its something I will need to arrange. Any suggestions ???

mssumbody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2009, 04:24 PM

mssumbody

I am not superstitious so the day of the week wouldnt matter to me as much as my surgeons qualifications would.

I see you are having a TLH. I had an lavh/bso. I had help for the first few days. For me, I didnt really need it beyond making sure I didnt fall in the shower.

I had a VERY easy recovery. I also recovered very easily from my csection years earlier.

Good luck and I will see you on the post op boards.
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:06 PM

I was very lucky and had company for 4 weeks post op but I know that I would have been able to cope much earlier than that if I had to.

Just remember to take notice of your restrictions, leave anything heavy for others to do when they get home, have everything you will need for the day in easy reach, have someone you can call in an emergency and you will be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2009, 05:21 PM

I had my operation on Halloween, also a Friday, and people also told me that was bad luck, but everything turned out great.

As for staying home, I think you should be fine after the first week. I know that I could have coped after the first week doing the simplest of things, like showering, making a cup of tea, or something simple to eat.

As MatyMoo said above, remember your restrictions and ask for help. I you could have your daughter get everything set up for you before she left in the morning so that you did not have to bend, lift or reach for anything you should be able to manage.

Is there a neighbor you might be able to call in case of an emergency? That would be a good thing to have.

Good luck with your surgery, and all the best for a speedy and healthy recovery.
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:26 PM

I live alone. My sister stayed with me the first night and while I took a shower the next morning. It isn't easy being alone, but it is possible. Just have a lot of food that is ready to eat. I would always be sitting in my recliner and strategizing for the next time that I would get up. I would say to myself, "okay, first I will go to the bathroom, and on my way back to the chair, I will drink a glass of water, and grab a snack bar..." Keep us posted on your progress.
Unread 01-23-2009, 10:35 PM

I'd have her stay. I, personally, had pretty bad cramping for the first week and needed the pain pills at night mostly.

Kara
Unread 01-24-2009, 06:19 AM

Best wishes for your recovery. I can't compare it to a c-section as I never had one. I had my appendix out laproscopically two years ago and was back at work the next week. However, as my pharmacist sister reminds me, that was only one organ.

My DH stayed with me the first week and I was on my own the second week. I would suggest that you ask your daughter to do the housekeeping after school and on the weekends, rather than staying home as your companion during your second week. That way, you will be sure to "pamper the Princess" and will not be as tempted to overdo when you are at home alone.

To give your daughter a break, you might want to look into a cleaning service to come in a time or two.

Also, we were blessed with lots of meals from neighbors and church families. This was a great help. If you are a churchgoer, don't be shy about letting your church know about your surgery.

Before my surgery, I had a difficult time accepting help from others. My surgery taught me that it is a good thing to graciously accept help from others.
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks for all your info everyone .Theres nothing I hate more than being stuck in the house and down.But Im definately looking forward to ending the mess I have going on right now with my uterus. In many ways Im looking forward to going to the castle and becoming the princess.
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Personally, I think it is easier to rest not having people around all the time. If you get your husband for a week, you'll be fine after that. You can then do things on your time table and not have to worry about kids getting to school, feeding a family etc. There were times I just wanted to be left alone. Aren't injured cats like that?
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:59 PM

I agree with the earlier comments. I had surgery on a Monday, came home Wednesday and had company until Monday again. That was just a week including the castle stay. I was very glad the first few days to have someone here to wake me for meds and check on me in the bathroom, etc. I live alone and arranged for the next 2 weeks to have company every evening. I have great friends and family and they showed up as scheduled with food and company and whatever else I needed to have. The biggest pain was not being able to drive and having people picking up prescriptions for me and other odds and ends I didn't know I would need. I would suggest you not get a shower when no one is home. The pain meds and anesthesia really mess with your head, especially when you are warm and leaning back in the shower. I didn't venture an independent shower for 3 weeks. I was afraid I would fall and not be able to get up. Safety first!!

I sent a heck of alot of thank you cards after surgery and it was the least I could do after all the great help and support I received. God bless my Mom and friends!!!

Liz, 31
TAH w BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register