Has anyone experienced weight loss instead of weight gain! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone experienced weight loss instead of weight gain! Has anyone experienced weight loss instead of weight gain!

Unread 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Has anyone experienced weight loss instead of weight gain!

I'm almost 7 months post op. I have lost around 40 lbs. since my surgery. Has anyone else done this. I still feel like I'm in a fog, and have very little sex drive.
I've been back to the doctor a couple of times had my hormone levels checked and I'm within the normal range.
Any suggestions? I still feel off kilter, and I'm still having some abdominal pain. Is this normal?
Everybody in my family is concerned about me. But the doctor says I'm fine. I really expected to have some weight gain afterwards, but I've had the complete opposite of what everybody else has had.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
I look forward to hearing from anybody!
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

As long as your weight is not falling under what is normal for your height, you are staying in touch with your doctor, and you are eating well, I would not worry. I have had bouts of weight loss myself that worries family. I would work with my doctors to eliminate possible health issues.

If you are wanting to gain weight you could seek the services of a nutritionist or dietitian. Your primary care physician should be able to refer you -- though my personal experience is that insurance companies don't usually cover services for those needing to gain weight!

I would suggest keeping a journal of any and all symptoms you are having and then sit down with your physician to see if you can determine what might be causing any and all of them. Keep track of what you eat as well as any exercise program. Note medications and supplements as well.

And if you find your GYN is not helpful, check with your GP. Or vice versa.

Take care! S
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM

I have always lost weight at times of stress or upset and my hysterectomy was no different.

I lost 8lbs 2 years ago when my Mum died which didn't go back on and a further 8lbs following surgery. As I am under 5 foot and less than 100lbs now my Dr is concerned and so I have been for monthly weigh ins & she has now run thyroid tests on me which came back normal.

The good news is that I am not losing any more but can't get any weight back on. I am eating as normal but I have gained a sweet tooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2009, 03:53 PM

I would ask for the values of your test (results). My tsh was 4.35 and they said that was normal. I checked on my own and found out that some labs say up to 3.0 is normal, while other labs say up to 5.0 is normal. However, MOST labs say up to 4.0 is normal, so mine was on the high side. I asked my dr if I could go ahead and try some thyroid medicine to see if I would feel better, as I've had hypothyroid (underactive) symptoms for the better part of a year. He agreed to let me try it for 2 months and I felt better after the first few days! It could be a coincidence but I really do believe that it's the thyroid medicine that is helping.

If you do start taking thyroid medicine, take it on an empty stomach as soon as you wake up in the morning and don't eat anything for an hour. Do not eat Walnuts or a lot of fiber, as it makes the medicine not absorb into your system as well. You might want to google the other foods you are supposed to avoid.
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Re: Has anyone experienced weight loss instead of weight gain!

it took me a few months to balance out (I'm one year out) and did lose a few lbs but now I'm back to my normal weight. my hormone tests showed that I was normal but I didn't feel normal. I think I may have had a titch of depression. have you considered that? I worked hard at taking care of myself by doing the things I enjoyed such as working out, dressing nicely, getting pedis, little things that made a difference. I'm feeling SO much better now. I also like the previous suggestion of getting your actual test numbers and doing some research. it all helps!
Unread 04-15-2011, 03:31 PM

You are lucky ! I want to lose weight and can't. As long as the weight comes of slowly (1-2 lbs/week), I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will appreciate the weight loss as time goes by. Most of us gained weight after surgery.
Unread 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Wow weight loss....I had my TVH just over 2 yrs ago. I actually lost weight. I had just had a baby 4 months prior to surgery and lost all baby weight plus a bit. I am 5feet tall and normally weigh 100lbs. After surgery I got down to 95lbs and got the ever concerned looks. Sadly, since that time my weight has jumped up to 115 lbs. I can't seem to get to my comfortable weight for the life of me. So, my weight loss was short lived.

There is such a huge range of "normal" hormones. So just cuz they read in normal levels it is the Dr.'s job to figure out what level is normal and good for you. This can take yrs! I had to get a few different opinions on my hormone levels before I got a Dr. that was willing to mess around to find an appropriate level for me!

There is hope hang in there!
Unread 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM

I lost 20 lbs in 2 wks after my hysterectomy in 09 but it was because my nausea and vomiting. I weighed 210 but 6 wks later i was down to 178. I just had my gall bladder removed because I had a gall bladder attack and my nausea and vomiting has come back along with menopausal symptoms too. I haven't found a sister with my issues yet but I know in my heart that it's my hormones. Hugs and prayers to my sisters!
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Calleesky, I too had my gall bladder removed 5 months prior to my hysterectomy. I lost weight after the GB removal due to nausea and trouble eating anything. Then gained a few pounds back but then with all the bleeding I had before my hysterectomy I was nauseated again and did not eat much so lost it back and then some. After my FH I have lost 17lbs in almost 3 weeks. I dont have much of an appetite but have been trying to eat healthy foods to help promote my immune system and healing. Hormones loss can cause some really weird things to our body. It changes so much and affects us from head to toe on our bodies work. I am thankful for the weight loss and hope for more to come but most ready for hormone balance and feeling strong and healthy again. It is a process to get there
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Wow, I was wondering about this myself. I had lost about 20 pounds before my surgery, and now I've lost another 15 pounds since my surgery. I haven't had the appetite I had before I was scheduled for my TAH. Since I was a BBW [Big Beautiful Woman] before, that means I don't have the size I did before, and my DH is worried. I'll be seeing my OB/GYN next week. We'll be sure to ask if this amount of weight loss is anything to be concerned about.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register