Scar tissue from appendectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar tissue from appendectomy Scar tissue from appendectomy

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Scar tissue from appendectomy

Hello all. I am scheduled to have a LAVH on Feb 3rd. I went for my pre-op exam and testing on Friday. As the dr and I were talking, he was going over my history and brought up that my appendix had been removed 4 yrs ago. I said, "Yes". He then says, "But it didn't rupture, right?" Oh yeah it ruptured, it was a messy situation, resulting in me in the hospital a week with peritonitis, and subsequently a few weeks later, an abscess the size of a grapefruit had developed and I had to back into the hospital to have a drain put in for that. All in all it was a harrowing experience. I tell you all of this because now the dr is having second thoughts about doing the hysterectomy at all, afraid that there may be too much scar tissue that will cause complications when removing the right ovary. Just a FYI: The main reason for having the LAVH is to have that ovary removed as there are cysts and it causes me great pain during ovulation and my period, and moderate pain the rest of the month. In other words, I can always feel some level of discomfort at any point of the month.
Has anyone else run into any situation as this, or close to it? I am suppose to talk with the dr again tomorrow, and could really use some advice, guidance, or just anything from anyone that has some experience with this.

Thanks,
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:24 AM

There are many surgeons who deal with scar tissue as they perform hysterectomies. Perhaps there is someone else who can perform the surgery for you if you still want it and your doctor is hesitant. Maybe it will call for an abdominal incision since the surgery could be more complicated. A second opinion would probably be a good idea for you.
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtsp
There are many surgeons who deal with scar tissue as they perform hysterectomies.
That was my thought too. I have known this dr since I was pregnant with my first child, 26 yrs ago. He is a very good dr and I do trust him, but I was thinking the same as you said. I am suppose to speak with him again tomorrow. My husband and I have discussed this and feel it is safe to proceed. Perhaps the dr was just trying to be sure I was fully informed of any possible complications, which is good. I think tomorrow's conversation with him will make it more clear if this is just a case of him fully informing me, or if I need to seek out another opinion and dr that would not feel hesitant about doing the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2009, 12:54 PM

I too had a messy ruptured appendix in December 2000. Scar tissue and adhesions have continued to cause me immense pain at times. Having the TAH/BSO was to alleviate pelvic pain, and abnormalities. The doctor/surgeon told me there was alot of adhesions wrapped around my uterus, tubes, ovaries, etc. She removed the adhesions only in that area. This conversation came about because I have stomach pain all over below belly button. The surgeon said, "I didn't operate there, I don't know why you have pain up that high". My gp says it's scar tissue/adhesions and TAH/BSO only will remove problems in the uterus area.
Now, I am left feeling discouraged that if there was adhesions above the uterus (in stomach/colon are), I so wished they would have removed them too. I am not looking at another surgery at the moment; just a lifetime of pain there. I am researching alternative remedies at this point.
I guess I hope to convey to you to make sure with your doctor that he can remove all sources of pain, or maybe even work with a gi doctor (now I wish I had looking back), to resolve any and all pain problems. The TAH/BSO gave me pelvic pain relief, thank goodness.
Unread 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Thank you for your response, it's helpful in giving me thoughts for questions to ask when I speak with him tomorrow. The cysts on my ovary did not seem to give me problems until after my appendectomy for some funny reason. Well looking back, I guess they did, but not to the extent they do now. Menopause is nowhere in sight for me, as verified by my dr. Even though I am 46 y o and you would think there would be SOME signs of it, but no. My periods are regular as clock work and I do mean I can pin it down to within 1 day, most of the time, I pin it down to the exact day. I've maybe had 2 hot flashes etc, if that is what it even was. I just am basicly having no perimenopausal symptoms. I have extreme pain with the ovary and cramps when on my period. I have extreme pain with the ovary when I ovulate. I have moderate to extreme pain off and on all month, regardless of where I am in my cycle. If the ovary is not removed, he may as well do nothing. And if nothing is what happens, then I am looking at 5 to maybe 10 more years of this pain. That is not quality of life, in my opinion. *sigh* I'm a little discouraged right now. Right now the surgery is still on, but I don't know what will change after our (hubby and me) talk with the dr tomorrow.
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:37 PM

To follow with a little more info on me - in 2003 I had exploratory pelvic surgery because of pelvic pain. I told the doctor not to remove anything unless it was absolutely necessary. She was my second opinion and agreed. In that surgery, she said my right ovary had died, and the left one had cysts. She didn't see cancer, etc. so she left everything alone as I requested. I believe the appendix problem resulted in that ovary "dying". The pains have grown more over the years and I have been trying to improve my quality of life too. This is why I finally agreed to TAH/BSO at age 47. The doctor put me on lupron injections for four months pre-op to see if I would feel better without surgery. It put me into menopause with hot flashes, etc. I didn't care for the medicine so I opted for the surgery. I no longer have that lower pelvic pain I had before, that's the good news! I just wish my stomach area was feeling better. I think this surgery actually irritated and made matters worse in that regard.
I just wanted to agree with you in that the ruptured appendix, I believe, played a major role in making my ovaries sick, etc.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM

It's funny that you bring up how you think it lended to the death of the ovary. I know I had the cysts on that ovary before the appendix episode, but I never remember it giving me any problems, other than a little discomfort with I ovulated. Other than that, I felt nothing. It wasn't until after all the trauma with my appendix that I started to have real pain.

Update on my situation: I did speak with the dr yesterday and the sugery is still on for Feb 3rd. The change will be that it will totally laproscopic, instead of vaginal. He sounded much more upbeat and positive than he did on Friday. He spoke with some colleagues and feels that is the way to go, and feels that it should go ok. I feel very positive about the whole thing. Which brings me also to another question........shouldn't I feel nervous? I've read a lot about many feeling so nervous especially as it go closer, so now I wonder what's wrong with me. lol I don't feel nervous at all. I'm just so tired of living with the pain. Thats not to say that the day before or day of, that I won't be nervous, but as of yet, I feel very calm. Maybe I'm just weird.
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

If I have ever heard of a reason for a 2nd opinion....this is it. I guess I've never heard on here about a doctor being so unsure about prior scar tissue. But it seems because you have known him a long time, you're probably not going to do that. If he can't do it, then I guess you will be stuck with the pain. Or if you get in too much pain, maybe you can get think about that 2nd opinion. Sometimes, for me, pain is a huge motivator. IT really was when it came to getting my hyst.

Kara
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Glad to hear from you today. Thanks for letting me know the follow up.
Once I had decided what I wanted, I felt much calmer. I knew I had to do something with my pain levels and felt I made the best informed decision I could. Your doctor will probably have an another doctor assist him? I figured two heads were better than one in the surgery room. From what you say about your doctor, he sounds kind of green. As long as you feel comfortable with him, it will work out fine.
I will share one more concern/surprise (not to make you anxious) I experienced. When I had the pelvic exploratory surgery in 2003, they said they could do it via laproscopic. My appendix surgery incision was vertical from above belly button down to pelvic area. I have about an inch wide scar and indentation. They tried to see my pelvic area with the laproscopic but there was too much scar tissue/adhesions blocking it. The surgery ended up as a bikini cut horizontal incision. I knew the same would happen with the TAH/BSO.
It's good that you are calm and ready. Recovery is easier when one is settled about options and looking forward to a better pain-free future.
Let me know how it goes. I wish you well.
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM

That's great that you feel so comfortable. I agree wholeheartedly with a couple of issues that Brenda brought up. Will he have someone assisting him? It sounds like that would be a wise idea. My ObGyn had another surgeon ready to go in the event of any complicaitons. I would not hesitate to ask since he was convinced by another doctor that he could do it. Also, as Brenda mentioned, it seems like a bikini cut is more in order since he will be dealing with scar tissue. Best of luck to you. I felt comfortable with my doctor too. It makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register