Aug. 29 surgery date and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Aug. 29 surgery date and scared Aug. 29 surgery date and scared

Unread 08-22-2001, 01:52 PM
Aug. 29 surgery date and scared

I am so scared. I have been bed ridden though for almost 3 months with the pain and I have had it. I don't know what I am doing or what to ask or what to prepare for the surgery. I have just joined the list and I just got my surgery date about 2 days ago. I didn't know there was so much stuff that I needed to consider. I have 3 kids and I am having a TAH/BSO. I think that is the abbreviations. Does anyone know how long it will take to fully recover? I have not thought about anything. Please help. I am soooooo lost. Don't get me wrong. I am really ready to have all the pain gone but you know how that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2001, 02:52 PM

OK, first of all, take a deep breath. This is all going to be ok. I'm so sorry about everything you have been through. On a plus side, if you've been able to handle all that, you will be just fine with the recovery from your TAH/BSO.

I know it can be VERY overwhelming when you find out you are having this surgery, and what it entails, but you are definitely in the right place!

I was absolutely terrified, and had no idea what to expect when I was scheduled for a TAH last year. The incredible women here answered ALL my questions (no matter how silly), held my hand, and helped me prepare for my surgery and recovery.

As far as recovery time, that's not a simple answer. TOTAL recovery from a hysterectomy usually takes 6 months to a year for most women. However, the INITIAL recovery period usually lasts about 6-8 weeks. The initial period is when you have to REST, REST, REST, keep your feet up, and let your body heal from this major surgery. After that, most of us are able to go back to work, and start easing back into our previous activity levels.

However, it really does take 6 months to a year to fully recover. At 5 months, I would still get very achy, swollen and exhausted if I did too much (was on my feet too long, did too much lifting, etc). And I was 28 years old, and in very good physical shape!

The best advice I can give you is to read as many of the posts here as you can, both here on the Pre-Op board, and on the Post-Op board as well (that will give you a good idea of what to expect during recovery). Please post all your questions and concerns, and we will do our best to help! You should also check out the drop-down boxes towards the bottom of the home page.

You CAN do this, and we'll be here to help you through it.
Unread 08-22-2001, 03:52 PM
Welcome

Dear Twilight
Welcome to the site, I am having a lavh/bso and bladder repair in Sep. I know what you mean when you say you are scared. I take that one further and say I am petrefied. The one good thing to know is that these boards are amazing to read and get support from. The ladies here are just the best.
I have found that it helps knowing that there are so many of us in the same boat Knowing there are others out there who REALLY understand helps so much.
Things will all fall into place, take deep breaths and stay positive. I wish you all the very best for your surgery, we will all be thinking of you.

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2001, 04:07 PM
welcome

i just wanted to welcome you to the most wonderful site. don't be afraid to ask all of your questions...the women here are great. my surgery is the 28th...i am also so scared and in constant pain. i want it to be over but i'm afraid of the surgery too. what a chicken i am!
i have found on this site that you will get great answers to all of your questions. i am on this site every chance i get, several times a day, just absorbing all that i can. good luck to you and know that you are not alone in thi journey anymore. cynthia
ps i also have 3 children.
Unread 08-22-2001, 04:18 PM
Twilight!

Girl, pick your chin up off the floor and dry your eyes! It's gonna be a great day for us Aug 29 sisters! Just you wait and see! Go to the home page and read all the great posts on the drop down menu. These ladies are the BEST!!!!!!!!! I was in your shoes last week. I really do understand. Information is empowering, Honey. Read, read, and read some more. You'll see it's gonna be better than ok. Email me anytime you need some encouragement. I'm usually sitting right here, (that's about all I can do right now) lol I'm really looking forward to my surgery. 7 days to go!!!!!!!!YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Paula
[email protected]
Unread 08-22-2001, 04:35 PM
Surgery Sept 10th

I am also new to all this. Just previously had laporoscopy and dx. with Endrometriosis and Adenomosis. I was advised to have a HAV/BSO. I never thought I would be having this surgery. So I am totally unperpaired. This website has a lot of info. I try to read as much as I have time to. I to need any advise of what to expect before and after surgery. I have never had a major surgery before.

But I can't stand the pain any more. It has been 6 months of constent pain. And last couple cycles have been so painful. I am just trying to take it one day at a time. I have less then 3 weeks to wait and read up on this. I had know idea there was this kind a support out there. Is helps a lot. Thanks again to all the sisters that take the time to respond to the messages. Only you will ever know how much I means to another sister.

Thanks for your help and any advise you can give.

Janei
Unread 08-22-2001, 04:50 PM

Greetings Twilight!
We are what they call twins on this site. My surgery is also on August 29th and like you I am scared. My advice is to read all the message boards on this site that you can - it will help alleviate some of your fears. One thread that keeps running thru many of the posts by those who have had surgery is that the waiting is the worst part. Good luck to you.
Unread 08-22-2001, 05:00 PM
Hello and welcome

Hi Twilight,

I just had my TAH on August 17. I know how scared you are! I was too. I think it would be strange if you were not scared. It's very intimidating facing this kind of surgery and life change. Be assured that you have made the decision that is right for you and that you have the support of all your sisters. It's a group that I'm so happy I found. There is not a better support network out there.

For sure you will feel sore right after your surgery. It's just your body telling you what's happened. Listen to your body. It was telling you that something was not right from all the pain you've been feeling. You listened and are doing something about it. The same goes for the post-op period. If your body says stop, then stop and take a rest. It initially takes six to eight weeks for the initial healing to begin. After then you can usually return to work unless complications develope. The remaining physical healing will take anywhere form six months to a year, but you will heal. Just take care of yourself.

As far as emotional healing, you've started out on the right foot. That's what this site is here for. I know it helped me. I hope it will help you. Hang in there. Soon this will all be in the past and you will have nothing but a pain free beautiful future to look forward to. Keep in touch.

Noel
Unread 08-22-2001, 07:14 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I think I sat here and cried :cry: while I read all of your post. I really needed this support. I think what got me going today was that I sat here and read some of the post that was being sent about the things that some people were buying and packing for their surgeries and I thought " I haven't even thought of any of that and I only have 7 days until I go in". I mean I didn't even know until last night that they take the cervix when they do a TAH. DUH!!! I just wasn't thinking. Then last night I was rocking my baby to sleep (19 months) and I just became panicked. I have been in pain for 9 months now and bed ridden for 3. I am only 27 but this runs in my family. I am so ready to get it over with. My problem is not only during or before or after my period, it is anytime that I am up for more than about 10 minutes. Lately sometimes I am in pain and other days I can do laundry, dishes, sweep, mop and never hurt and others I can sit and go through bills and be doubled over. But usually it is when I am up doing things.
I also just worry about my kids. I have 3 and they will be at my sister-in-laws for 4 days. My dh is going to try to stay with me the whole time. He has been so wonderful. Bless his heart for having to put up with this for so long. I love him so much. My dd just don't understand. She is only 4 and she doesn't understand how they can cut me open without hurting me.
I think the scariest part for me is waking up from the surgery. I had my tonsils out in 98 and a laproscopy in 98 and from one I woke up sick and the other I had a very hard time waking up. It was horrible.
Let me see. What are my questions? I guess just wondering how much pain I will be in after? (It can't be to bad after what I have went through in the past few months) Will I be able to be alone with my kids after about a week? I stay at home and homeschool them. I am also looking at baby sitting in order for a rehab to pay for my surgery. When will I be able to start that? Can I wear my own pajamas in the hospital? Will I be bleeding or anything after? I can't think of anything else right now. I am sooo sorry that this is so long. I just needed to vent. Again thank you for all of your help. I am so glad that I found this group when I did. I might have lost my mind. Lots of love
Unread 08-23-2001, 12:01 AM

Twila,
The pain is not bad - nothing like what you've been thru already! You will probably have a PCA unit - Patient Controlled Analgesic. It delivers pain medicine directly into your IV when you press the button. (It has controls so you don't overdose.) So whenever you start feeling bad, hit the button and you get instant relief! And the pain meds are heavy duty - morphine, etc.

It will be difficult to move around the first 1-2 weeks. You will want to hold your stomach and use other muscles when getting up or down. I found a surgical abdominal support from Walgreen's helped alot. Just a stretchy thing that goes around your stomach.

Also, you may want to consider requesting a vertical incision. I've had 3 abdominal surgeries - 1 horiz, 2 vertical. I've found the vertical to be a much easier recovery - not as difficult sitting up, etc. Visit the Polling Place for info on vertical vs horizontal incisions.

It's important to limit your activity afterwards. You will become tired more easily and can't lift anything over 10 lbs. And you don't want to! Ask family, friends, church family to help out.

Bleeding - I've had very little. But I've seen posts where some women had to wear pads. Overall it seems to be minimal.

Hope this helps and God Bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register