Da Vinci Hysterectomy ahead - what do I need to know? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Da Vinci Hysterectomy ahead -  what do I need to know? Da Vinci Hysterectomy ahead - what do I need to know?

Unread 01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Da Vinci Hysterectomy ahead - what do I need to know?

I am schedeled for a divinci hyst. in March. What can I expect the day of surgury and post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 06:42 AM

I had to be at the hospital two hours before my surgery was scheduled. I was then admitted to the hospital and checked into my room and changed clothes. I was told I would probably be going home the next day so I brought very little with me to the hospital.

Even though I had only a one-night stay, I would strongly suggest that you look into getting a private room if your hospital does not already provide one. I understand there may be an additional charge for a private room but it is worth it. I had a roommate with lots of noisy, rough-looking visitors day and night. She was constantly either moaning and trying to get my nurse to help me (she would not call for a nurse herself) or on the phone, with the TV going 24/7. A private room would have been wonderful - I didn't think to ask about it.

I was taken to the operating room about one hour before the scheduled surgery. There I was introduced to the rest of the surgical team and saw my gyn onc. I spent a lot of time in the operating room being interviewed by my anesthesiologist. It was my first meeting with my anesthesiologist, and he was very thorough and asked lots of questions.

I had three IVs going - one was a special little IV just for my heart. (I was 57 at the time of my surgery and my mom died of heart disease at 49.) I received general anesthesia so I was out fairly quickly.

My surgery went well although it took an extra hour because I am a plus sized woman. When I awoke, I was in little pain and wearing the lovely leg things for your circulation. I had no nausea, just felt out of it and groggy for a little while.

I was given Toradol shots for the pain and they worked well. Also was given a hand-held breathing tube to use to make sure my lungs were working well and to guard against pneumonia.

The nurses wanted me up and walking within a few hours of my surgery so I dutifully took myself and my IVs up and down the hall several times. I was determined to do everything I needed to do to get home but I felt up to it and was not dizzy or anything. I asked the nurses to come in and unhook/refasten the leg things because it did not feel comfortable to stretch down to do that.

I was given a meal about an hour after I awakened from surgery, and it included solid food such as a slice of bread.

I was up using the bathroom, too, not long after surgery, and my urine was measured and tracked. Outside of my walks and bathroom trips, I did nothing else but try to rest, depsite my roommate. My DH was my only visitor and that was fine with me.

My surgery was at 7:30 Monday morning. The doctor came in early Tuesday morning to check on me. At 9:30 Tuesday morning, I received the good news that I could go home.

I would suggest that you make sure you have your pain medication just before you leave, as the trip home can be very tiring. And don't forget the pillow over your belly and underneath the seatbelt. I went home in my nightgown and robe, with a long raincoat over it, so I could go straight to bed as soon as we got home. Hystersisters worry about the length of the drive - mine took about 1-1/4 hours - which is another reason for getting the pain med just before. But, the worst part about the trip home was the big step into DH's Tahoe.

There is more detail on my experience in the section in this web site about daVincis. I was blessed with a positive outcome from my surgery, with no complications and a good recovery.

I cannot say enough good things about the daVinci. Comparing my surgery to my mother's and sister's TAHs, mine was so much easier. Best wishes to you.
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Hi Shelly!

I think Gerry summed it up nicely for a typical experience here; I can't think of anything to add, but I just wanted to wish you well for your surgery, hoping all goes smooth for you! I hope you'll stick around on the HS site, reading and posting as your date draws near.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info. My surgury is scheduled for March 13. Friday the 13, good thing I'm not supersticious. I'm excited to feel better, but anxious about the surgury. I am also supposed to have a bladder lift at the same time. My doctor assures me it will all be fine. Thanks again I have already learned so much for this site.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:31 PM

I had my gallbladder removed and the daVinci hysto. the same day with 2 surgeons, one after another. They were concerned with my heart because I had an abnormal EKG, so they had to take extra precautions with the anesthesia. They also did an echocardiogram that morning before the operations. I thank God that I had the surgeons that I had, because I could've had some serious complications. The gyno. surgeon said that I had a bunch of blood vessels tangled around an external fibroid. If they were doing traditional laproscopic, they would've had to cut me open to access it. I have to admit that I had a lot of pain that first day. They gave me percocet and Toradol in the IV, but since it was New Year's Eve, the floor was understaffed and I had to keep buzzing for my meds. I was glad to have a catheter, because there was no way I could get out of bed. I'd recommend not eating solid food the first day. I had some broth, pudding, jello, ice cream and apple juice. They tilt you back pretty far back to do the procedure, so some people have pain between the shoulder blades post op. I didn't because I got tilted the opposite way for the gallbladder surgery, and most of the gas must've escaped. It helps if you do the bowel prep before the surgery, so it'll give you a few days without having to worry about having a BM. Good luck!
Unread 01-28-2009, 01:21 AM

I had a DaVinci RAVH + BSO on 1/2/09, and I have to say it was easier than I expected. I am 25 days out, and I did not have to take any pain meds today at all, and I have had little to no pain. Up until now, I have only used Motrin and Tylenol since I left the hospital.

I posted my story on the Pre-op site, so be sure to read that too in case I forget something here.

I arrived 2 hours before the surgery and went to pre-op, where I changed clothes, and they took blood and started the IV. I had two IV ports, but they only used one. I had no pre-op medications, and didn't really need them. Be sure to ask for the warm blankets. MMMmmmmm...

When I got to the operating room, they were putting nice, warm gel packs on the operating table, so I knew I would be warm there too. My surgery team introduced themselves, and we prayed together. Then I saw the anesthesiologist put a syringe to my IV and out I went. One second I was awake, and the next I was waking up in my room. It had really been about 3.5 hours, 2.25 in the OR and a little over an hour in recovery. I don't remember anything from recovery other than my doctor saying, "There was no cancer!"

Torodal (sp?) is really great for post-surgery pain. I was only allowed 3 doses, but that was enough to last the rest of the day, and the next. I am a lightweight with anesthesia, so I was nauseous when I woke up. They gave me compazine in the IV which took care of that immediately.

I got clear liquids and jello that day, but wasn't interested in much other than sleeping. I was able to visit with my family and a friend who came to see me, but I pretty much slept all day. The nurses did have me dangle my feet from the edge of the bed, and then stand up next to it that evening. I was still wearing the leg compression things, and and IV so they did not make me walk until the catheter came out.

The next morning, catheter came out at 5 am and I was on my feet to walk to the restroom and around the nurses' station. I did lots of walking. They gave me a "soft" breakfast, which was inedible. So I had a protein/antioxidant shake my hubby and I normally have for breakfast, called Greens First, and some applesauce. No problem at all.

By about 10-11 am, my doctor came in and checked on me, I got my discharge instructions, and then finally left at about 11:30. We stopped at Walgreen's for Motrin and Colace, and then I was home by 12:30. I think I slept for a long time that day.

My biggest issue was the gas in my abdomen. I forgot to take my Gas-X, because I didn't have it near my spot on the couch. Maybe it would have helped. But I slept on the couch, propped up for the first 3-4 nights. It was more comfortable than a bed. I was up and walking every hour or so during the day, just to get the gas moving, and it really worked.

I still have my end table next to the couch with my laptop, books, movies, kleenex, water or tea, and knitting. So when I want to relax, I go to my "perch" and cuddle up with my pup. She went to the dog sitter's for the first week, which was a really good decision, since she likes to sit on my lap.

All in all, this has been much easier than my sister's abdominal hyst. was on her. The first week is a bit of a blur, and the second week was better, probably because I slept less. The third week I was even better, and I feel much closer to "normal" in the past couple of days. Yesterday was the first day that I went out by myself, but that was just because I feel a little vulnerable in a crowd.

I am looking forward to the rest of my 6 weeks off as much more relaxing and being able to enjoy myself. I'm still being very careful, and that has resulted in a smooth recovery with almost no bleeding.

Just pay close attention to how you are feeling. If you are tired, rest. If you are restless, walk. If you are bored, that means you're feeling better! Good luck, and we'll see you on the "other side."
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:17 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention the catheter. I didn't have it in for long. It came out not long after surgery, as I did not have it when I was walking around.

I did have trouble the first time I tried to urinate - running the water in the sink did not help. The second time I succeeded. I think another hystersister suggested putting your feet up on a stool if you have trouble going to the bathroom.

You will be tilted during surgery - another thing I forgot - and your legs placed in stirrups. My anesthesologist also used "sleds" to hold my arms - I did not ask why. I have a little arthritis in my back and the anesthesologist assured me he would position me the best way possible. No problems with my back afterwards.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register