Did U Get Rid Of Your Tampons/Pads Before Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did U Get Rid Of Your Tampons/Pads Before Surgery? Did U Get Rid Of Your Tampons/Pads Before Surgery?

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Did U Get Rid Of Your Tampons/Pads Before Surgery?

Ladies,

Silly question - did anybody get rid of their tampons/pads before surgery? I just had my "last" period before my TAH on 02/09 and for some reason, I can't clear that shelf in the bathroom!

Did this happen to anyone else? I actually wanted to have a "Tampon Going Away Party", but I just can't make myself part with them yet! Am I crazy or what?? Maybe I've just been secretly kidnapped...

Just curious!

obi1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Hi there! I remember reading a post or two from women who'd gotten rid of everything and then had an extra period or had the surgery rescheduled at the last minute. When I went to help my mother-in-law after her hysterectomy, she asked me to bring her all her pads from under the bathroom sink. She took the pantiliners, saying, "You never know what's going to leak later," and then she said, "What you're holding is a thank-you gift for coming to help me."

I have a teenager daughter so I just gave everything to her, but I think it might be nice to be able to put the packages way in the back of the closet where you can enjoy not needing them except for if you have guests who might be in need. There's a fun website with tampon crafts someone posted in one of the fun forums here, so perhaps you might find it therapeutic to make Christmas lights or earrings during your recovery.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Re: tampons - due to the fact that nothing goes in the vagina for about six weeks postop, these could be cleared out or as suggested above, recycled! I'd keep the pads for a bit, everyone seems to be different in amount of postop bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM

I wonder what the docs and nurses would say if I showed up the morning of my surgery wearing tampon earrings?
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM

No, I kept everything just in case. A nurse at the hospital told me to apply a maxi pad against my incision to keep it clean, dry and comfortable. I did it for about two weeks. Also, I had a little bleeding post op and was glad I had a few extra pads at home.
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM

I don't plan on buying anymore.. but I will keep what I have for guest that may encounter an emergency! I have 2 periods left before my surgery... its been a long wait!
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:41 AM

I did get rid of my tampons with my girlfriends as we put them in the fire by the Christmas tree. It was a beautiful sight!!! As for my pads I kept them and good thing I did. in the hospital they give you the world's longest pads as you still have minor bleeding. Since I still had my own I used them. Good thing I kept them as I had to keep wearing them for six weeks. At my six week visit the dr. had to go in and do a little something to stop the discharge.It was never blood per say but a brownish liquid. I told her that if I had to buy another box of pads I was sending her the bill(She happens to be a good friend.) Now at seven weeks for a complete hyst and no longer wearing pads!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM

Tampons: feel free to get rid of them, I'd say. Pads: you'll need them for a while after surgery - sometimes a long while, if you're unlucky that way. I finally stopped needing them 4 weeks post.
Have fun deciding what to do with your extras - I finally tossed my DivaCup rather unceremoniously into the trash. Felt great.
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck
A nurse at the hospital told me to apply a maxi pad against my incision to keep it clean, dry and comfortable. I did it for about two weeks.
I used some leftover maxi pads in this way on the suggestion by my doc; it was a brilliant solution to the occasional wound weeping.

I gave my leftover tampons to our local homeless shelter. I have to tell you, they were absolutely ecstatic to get them. Feminine hygiene products are just something that most people don't think to donate.
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Another sister suggested sending left overs to your local school nurse but I think the homeless shelter is a great idea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register