laparoscopic supracervical hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

laparoscopic supracervical hyst laparoscopic supracervical hyst

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
laparoscopic supracervical hyst

I am right at 2 weeks recovering from my LSH. I started having major problems with my menstral cycle when I was about 39. I had major cramping and bleeding. I went on birth control pills to help which they did somewhat. I had made an appointment with an Obgyn doctor (same practice just a doctor close to my residence) and was going to try the Novasure. I decided I needed a second opinon and went back to my original Obgyn for his opinion. He said instead of covering up the problem lets find out what the problem is. I did an ultra sound, a biopsy (very uncomfortable) and another procedure where the doctor inserted a liquid into the vagina area which helped to see the problem area. Come to find out I had fibroids and polpys. My doctor did not think that the Novasure or Meridian would help with the problems. This was at the beginning of 2008. At that point he suggested a LSH. Let me explain that I am 41 and have never had surgery or kids. I am terrified of needles, hospitals and doctors. I am a whimp when it comes to these things. I decided to switch pills and wait and hope the problem would go away. Well Thanksgiving weekend of 2008 (same year) the problems started again only worse. I started bleeding and did not stop until my surgery on 01/13/2009. I had my annual pap smear exam scheduled for December of 2008 and decided at that point I had to make a decision. I talked to my Obgyn and decided the LSH was right for me. I scheduled the appointment in 12/2008 for 01/13/2009. I was very scared. I went to my PACE appt on 01/09/2009 and because of being so scared and anxious my blood pressure was through the roof. After my PACE appointment the nurse sent me to my family doctor to put me on blood pressure medicine until after the surgery -- it worked. My doctors orders the day before the surgery (01/12/2009)were to drink Magnesium Sulfate (not sure of name) in the morning to clean out my system and have a liquid diet only. I drank the stuff which gives you diahrea so stay home to be by the bathroom. The taste was bearable. I did the liquid diet the rest of the day. I was nervous and scared so I was not really hungry. The morning of the surgery I was really scared---thank God for my husband. We got to the hospital at 7:00am and my surgery was scheduled for 9:00am. I just prayed that I would be o.k. and be able to go through it. About 7:30 I went to the pre-op area to change into a gown and have the IV inserted. I was so scared about the IV but it really was not that bad. I felt a pinch but it was really o.k. At that point I asked for something to calm me but the nurse said I had to wait to talk to the anaesthesilogist. After he came than the nurse gave me something that made me feel calm. They rolled me into the operating room and I remember them covering me with warm blankets and the anaesthesilogist saying here comes the good stuff and that was all they wrote. I woke up being wheeled to the recovery room. Keep in mind that I am not a big medicine taker but I decided before the surgery when they offered the pain medicine I was going to take it (why feel pain if you don't have to). So in the recovery room they just kept giving me pain medicine so I was not in any pain. My doctor is very conservative and requires all hysteroctomy patients stay overnight --- which I am glad. I had a cathider in so I did not have to get up to go to the bathroom. I was sent to my room around 2:00pm and was given 1 to 2 percocets and 2 motrin every 4 hours. However, the way my nurse worked it was 1 percocet and 1 motrin every 2 hours so I did not have any pain. I did not have to get out of bed the day of surgery because of the cathider. I was very comfortable and happy with everything. The next day around 11:00 the nurse took the cathider out and I got out of bed --- no pain just really unsteady. The nurse required that I go to the bathroom (pee) at least twice before I left. Again no pain using the bathroom. I was still taking the pain medicine every 2 hours and gas medicine every 8 hours. I went home about 3:30pm the day after surgery. Once home for 2 days I kept taking my pain medicine 1 perc and 1 motrin every 4 hours. About the 4th day I started just taking 1 perc at night with 2 motrin and 1 perc around noon. After about a week I just took motrin during the day and 1 perc at night to sleep. The worst part for me was the gas but it was bearable and walking around helps release it. The only problem I am having is some knumbness in my right thigh but it is getting better and could either be due to a nerve that was hit during surgery, or swelling or maybe the way I was moving at the beginning. I expect it to get better. Remember I was bleeding all the the way up to surgery. Since surgery no bleeding...Yeah. I hope my experience helps for any of you waiting or deciding on the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register