Rollercoaster of emotions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rollercoaster of emotions... Rollercoaster of emotions...

Unread 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Rollercoaster of emotions...

I have read lots of posts and hints on this wonderful website and want to thank everyone for posting such great info.

I feel as though I am prepared for my surgery, but one minute I am strong and positive, and then, without warning, I become teary or angry or really frustrated. This is not like me at all.

I am used to being other people's help and support. I am going to be the world's worst patient!

I thought these emotions were supposed ti hit after the surgery - not before!

Any thoughts?
RavenHeart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM

RavenHeart you will be a great patient
I think we are all riding that darn roller coaster of emotions. Your emotions just take over.
I know that when you get into the pre-op you will be fine and since you are prepared and positive, you will be the best patient ever.
So go ahead and let it out and next week we will be on the post -op going "wow the wait was the worst part" { I hope]
Thanks for the advice on the surgery book [ I think that was you ] I will be picking that up tomorrow.
God Bless you with a peaceful week knowing that you will be so fine and next week healing
Unread 01-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Just remember, it's a very crowded rollercoaster that you are on, 'cause we're all on it with ya'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM

My surgery was in November....the roller coaster starts before (because of all stress that you are under even if it was planned and expected and thought out your mind knows its coming and your body reacts; if it wsn't planned than boy howdy it can be a really wild ride).....it continues after because you wonder if you should do more, do less, are you feeling right, etc., etc., etc. As you continue to heal it evens out so as noted before know that you are normal and it's a very crowded coaster.

Hugs and prayers for all of you as you await your surgeries.
Unread 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Hi TaurusLady,

I, too, feel extactly like you do. I am not schd for hyster-ovary removal until 2/5/09 but feel like going out and hitting baseballs for the past 2 days. I am NEVER like this.....
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Thank you

Thank you, sisters, for all your words of encouragment. I am so grateful for this website!

Yesterday my SwellyBelly band arrived and my Chillo Pillow. That made it all seem a lot closer and more 'real'.

Those of you heading for the castle the same week as me, let's stay strong and positive. And yes, it was me that recommended the Heal Faster book and CD. The CD is very soothing and as I meditate regularly anyway, I think it will really be helpful for me. I am going to ask if I can listen to it as they take me into pre-op.

A suggestion that the book gives is to have Positive Healing statements while in hospital. I have taken this idea one step further and am now posting positive statements all over the house; behind the bathroom door, on my mirror, inside the food cupboard and on my steering wheel! Things like - You will have a good recovery and heal quickly, or, You will have minimal pain and will cope well in recovery.

Hope this little idea might help some more sisters-in-waiting! Sending lots of Reiki healing to all of you,

RavenHeart
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM

RavenHeart, mine is also on the 3rd, so we'll just hold hands that day across the miles.

Amy in NC
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Dr. giving positive thoughts

I can't remember who posted it but one of the Princesses said that as she was going under her Dr. said think about how warm and comfortable you are and when you wake up you will feel warm and comfortable. She said it really worked.
So, I will think comfortable, warm pain free. I really believe that the more positive we are the better it will be, because we will be more relaxed and not tense up.
My big fear now is coming down with something. I am trying to not catch a cold so I am on the Zicam and Airborne and lots of extra vitamins. I just tell myself I have no time to get sick, maybe this summer
Think positvie thoughts, we are almost on the other side, yeah,
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:21 PM

Ahh, the mind is a wondrous and mysterious thing, eh? I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking! I had a terrible tongue thrust when I got all of my teeth straightened and I was once told that if I thought about where I should place my tongue before I went to sleep, then it would stay there all night - it worked! Amazing, eh?

My hyster was an emergency and I didn't have any time to dwell on it. It came and went so fast - no preop nerves for me! But I can assure you that considering I had a major surgery, there was little pain following - nothing more than mild discomfort. I had expected more and was surprised how well I felt so quickly. There were some ups and downs along the way, but I didn't let the downs get me all worked up. I just considered it all a part of recovering. The only thing that I didn't expect was how tired I felt, and that did take some time to get better. I slept and slept, and then I slept a little more - and that in itself made me feel better!

Like cozzette2 said, build yourselves up with positive thoughts and relax. Your doctors and nurses have done this hundreds, maybe even thousands of times and they will make sure you are comfortable and they will take very good care of you. Listen to others' experience with a grain of salt and realize that most women recover well following their hysters. It's rather like stories of labor and delivery - they tend to grow bigger than they really were and focus on the "horrible" rather than the "wonderful."

Sounds like you ladies are on the right path to me! Best wishes and happy recovery!
Unread 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart

I feel as though I am prepared for my surgery, but one minute I am strong and positive, and then, without warning, I become teary or angry or really frustrated. This is not like me at all.

I am used to being other people's help and support. I am going to be the world's worst patient!

I thought these emotions were supposed ti hit after the surgery - not before!

Any thoughts?
RavenHeart
I think you may find that many, if not most, women are more emotional before than after their surgery. Before surgery, even if we are prepared and informed, we are still venturing into the unknown. After surgery, there is a more well-defined goal we strive for, and that is recovery. We know that the worst is really behind us and we can now just get on with it.

You can still be other people's help and support. The fact that you will be having/have had a hysterectomy doesn't mean that you are suddenly useless to everyone. You can be supportive to other women on this site who are feeling just as you are.

If you were about to have major cardiac surgery or major cancer surgery, I guarantee you'd have the same fears and frustrations. Anger is a common response..."Why does this have to happen to me?" Swings between being confident and being frustrated happen to all of us. You are certainly not alone in this!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register