insomnia - why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

insomnia - why? insomnia - why?

Unread 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
insomnia - why?

Hi Sisters, I am three weeks post surgery (TAH kept ovaries). For some reason I am wide awake at night, waking in middle of night, waking early a.m. I see other people mentioning this in messages and wonder why we are having this. I mean, what does the uterus have to do with sleep? Otherwise feeling like I am doing well.

PS On a positive note, have to tell people who get it how HAPPY my colon is.My ginormous fibroid was squishing it. I swear, if my colon could dance, it would sign up for "Dancing w/the Stars."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
insomnia - why?

Hi- First of all I want to congratulate you and your colon!
It is amazing the things we take for granted until they are gone or not working properly. I have been doing tons of reading and I think I have read that the insomnia can be a mixture of your body dealing with the trauma of surgery, getting off the pain meds and hormones getting balanced- with or without ovaries/hrt. I hope you find peace that you are not alone-we are all burning the midnight oil together!~
Unread 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
insomnia - why?

I also have found that being away from my regular routine messes up my sleep schedule. As a college professor, I have several times a year when I suddenly have no schedule to follow. Although I always have work to do, when my classes are not in session, everything shifts. That's when I find myself with the worst insomnia. Add that to the trauma of major surgery, and it's a wonder anything works right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
insomnia - why?

Here here girlfriends! Right there with ya! It's for all the reasons Secretarymoss says.

I saw my naturopathic dr last week and he recommended Melatonin to help me sleep. I didn't want to get on sleep meds (been there done that) but Melatonin is natural. You may want to try it. You can get it just about anywhere these days - Walmart may even have it. Definitely a health food store would have it. I've been using it for 5 nights now and it has worked for me.

Nighty night girls! At least sometime in the next few hours!

Kris
TAH Thanksgiving Day 2008
Endometriosis, Fibroids, Cysts and Very Scary Bleeding
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
insomnia - why?

Wal-Mart does have melatonin, that is where I got it from. Melatonin will help me fall asleep, but it doesn't keep me asleep, which drives me crazy. I'm 2 months post op and I am still having insomnia, though I did have sleep trouble pre-surgery...its just worse now. I'm going back to the doctor next month and I'm going to talk to her about it.
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
insomnia - why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansUterus
Here here girlfriends! Right there with ya! It's for all the reasons Secretarymoss says.

I saw my naturopathic dr last week and he recommended Melatonin to help me sleep. I didn't want to get on sleep meds (been there done that) but Melatonin is natural. You may want to try it. You can get it just about anywhere these days - Walmart may even have it. Definitely a health food store would have it. I've been using it for 5 nights now and it has worked for me.

Nighty night girls! At least sometime in the next few hours!

Kris
TAH Thanksgiving Day 2008
Endometriosis, Fibroids, Cysts and Very Scary Bleeding
She's right!!! I tried and I actually got 7 hours of straight through sleep. Im so happy. Thank you Kris!!!! And with no hangover!! Best wishes to the rest of you to get some sleep. I have been fighting this for 2 months. If the Melatonin doesnt work I have had alot of recommendations for Ambien from sisters here.
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:13 AM
insomnia - why?

Yep, love the melatonin. Everyone's body is different so what works for one of us may not work for all. The other thing my doc recommended is Tryptophan which you can get at a health food store as well.

Kris
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
insomnia - why?

I am going to try the Melatonin. I haven't had a good nights sleep since I was off the Meds (two weeks after op). The sleep Med my Dr gave me made me jittery and cranky. I read about Melatonin just yesterday You all are my confirmation I hope it works for me.

Thank You Sisters!!!
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
insomnia - why?

I've been using melatonin this wk. It really helps! I got the extra strength 5 mg tablets mostly because they were on sale, and I have been sleeping much better. It's also not taking me 2 hours to get to sleep any more.
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
insomnia - why?

I too am having some insomnia issues as well. I found an extended release melatonin at Walgreens. It has a layer that gets you to sleep fast, then a layer that helps you stay asleep. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register