Newbie-got my surgery date today-kinda nervous some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie-got my surgery date today-kinda nervous some questions Newbie-got my surgery date today-kinda nervous some questions

Unread 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Newbie-got my surgery date today-kinda nervous some questions

Hello-
I've been having problems with my periods for 4 1/2 yrs, heavy bleeding and clotting. About 6 months ago, cramping started. Since I am a ninny and dont do pain well, once cramps became a problem (off and on thru the month, worse around my period) I decided to talk to my Dr. He recommended Thermachoice, so I had that done on Dec 30th, 2008. On Jan 5th, I started heavy bleeding. Went to the Dr on Jan 15 cause the bleeding hadnt stopped. He did a sono, and discovered my uterus was enlarged, and the lining measurement was at 26mm. Gave me some megace......went back today (still bleeding) had another sono, and the megace didnt work, so I am schedule for LSH on March 6th.
Since I am still bleeding (not heavy, its greatly reduced) he gave me a script for another round of megace...I was very moody and had problems sleeping while taking the megace the first time...so Doc said I could hang onto the script, and if the bleeding became heavy again, to try the megace. Otherwise, if I preffered the bleeding over the moods, I could skip it. Has anyone else been on megace? Any side effects?
After todays sonogram I was given a diagnosis of Adenomyosis.
I've had surgery before, but for some reason this one has me a bit nervous......maybe its because my family is making such a big deal of it. My sister is going to take the day off work so she can be at the hospital during my surgery, and my mom plans on being there as well. My fiancee has told me like it or not, I will spend a few days in bed letting him take care of me. To me, this is an outpatient procedure...my post op instructions will be that I can be discharged anytime in the first 23 hrs after surgery......when I leave is up to me and what I am comfortable with. I plan on leaving as soon as I am released from recovery....am I expecting too much?
I'm 36, and kinda worried about the effects of a hysto on my libido. I will retain both my ovaries....any input there ladies?
I'm sure I will have more questions as my surgery date gets closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Well, I hate to tell you, but it's not just a simple outpatient procedure, a hystrectomy is major surgery, you will most likely stay at least one night, the 23 hour thing doesn't start until you are out of recovery and taken to your room. They usually won't let you leave until the cathater is out and you have peed a few times, and can get up and walk around. I was released the next day after my TAH, and ended up back in the hospital the next day, brought by ambulance with complications and had to stay 4 more days. You will need lots of rest afterwards, let your boyfriend and family help you. I'm sure by reading the post-op posts on here you will get a better idea of what to exspect, everyones healing is a little different, but I couldn't imagine even Wonder Woman getting up and leaving right after recovery, no matter how good the pain meds are! I am 37, I too was worried about sex afterwards, I am happy to announce that everything is great, the big O is still very much a part of my love life and I actually want it more now that I am not always bleeding and hurting. Good Luck!
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Hi Englikl,

I had a LSH and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my long tern health. I hope you have similar results.

I had my LSH at an outpatient facility. I had my hyst at 7:30 AM and I went home at 6:00 PM, with my Dr's okay. I had the option to spend the night but since I was doing so well...my Dr. released me the evening of surgery to go home. Some LSH ladies stay overnight...so I would just go with what your Dr. recommends.

Right after my LSH, I did two weeks of R & R. My husband and mom helped out. I could get around on my own...it was just slow going for a few days. So I would say *yes* to your fiancee, your mom and sister for help. I was able to go to the video store on day 3 and the market on day 5....with my mom driving. I went back to work at 2 weeks with my Dr's okay and I got a greenlight for sex and the gym at 6 weeks. I kept my ovaries and they are still working great. Sex is great with my DH.

I would say the biggest piece of advice I can give in post-op is just~ listen to your body~. Say no if something sounds like too much...because it probably is. In post-op, we LSH ladies can look great on the outside and we are still healing on the inside. It can sometimes be easy to forget that a LSH is major surgery...as Ruby Red stated. So pamper yourself and give yourself as much time as you need for your recovery.

Hope that helps.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2009, 07:46 AM

LSH overall has the quickest recovery. Keeping the cervix lessens the post op pain significantly as well as the number of sutures needed. Even with that in mind it is a major surgery. Do not be fooled by the 23 hour rule that is an insurance thing. They are willing to spend extra money on the laproscopic vs. abdominal approach due to the decreased length of stay. Depending upon the surgery you have had before ask friends how they felt even after an out patient procedure so you have some ideas of what to expect.
Keep reading post-op post for LSH so you get a better feel for recovery every one is different some are great right away others take a while to get back on their feet. Also go back and read the post of women who are 6,10,14 weeks out and you'll find some felt great right after surgery and then really over did things and were set way back.

Good luck
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi I can relate to your problems dealing with the crazy bleeding. My hysterectomy is scheduled for Monday and I really just cannot wait to get this over with and behind me. You asked if anyone had been on Megace before...yes, I have. Three years ago I was started on Provera which subsequently failed over time and I started bleeding even while taking it. Then I was put on Megace, which did absolutely nothing. I took it for two weeks and it did not stop the bleeding at all. And like you it caused insomnia and I was very irritable and tired. If you are keeping your ovaries then hopefully you wont have to worry about HRT just yet.

I wish you the best and hope you do great!
Unread 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englikl
I've had surgery before, but for some reason this one has me a bit nervous......maybe its because my family is making such a big deal of it. My sister is going to take the day off work so she can be at the hospital during my surgery, and my mom plans on being there as well. My fiancee has told me like it or not, I will spend a few days in bed letting him take care of me. To me, this is an outpatient procedure...my post op instructions will be that I can be discharged anytime in the first 23 hrs after surgery......when I leave is up to me and what I am comfortable with. I plan on leaving as soon as I am released from recovery....am I expecting too much?
Remember to
Bravo to your SO and family pulling out all the stops to take care of you. Try not to resist!!! There are some complications that can prevented by taking it easy during the healing period. Be sure to take the pre-op check-points list with you, to clarify any questions you may have about your post-op restrictions.
Unread 01-30-2009, 11:06 AM

First, believe you me, you won't lose your libido. You should read some of the posts from the women who know they may do serious damage but are seriously contemplating having sex early! The hormones must get tipped somehow. Plus, I think for me, it's about being free of that baggage I had. I feel very free.

Enjoy the pampering. For a lot of us that's hard, but I'm glad I let my kids and hubby have the opportunity to take care of me.

Kara
Unread 01-30-2009, 01:06 PM

(((engliki))) Good for you for taking time to consider the options first, before having a hysterectomy. As others have said, a hysterectomy is major surgery, which carries a lot of risks, as does any major surgery. Some women breeze through it and do just fine -- you've heard from some here -- and some have complications, either during or as a result of the surgery or with their long-term health.

I haven't used Megace; my hysterectomy was for a severe prolapse, so there wasn't any need. I just wanted to respond to your question about the effect of a hysterectomy on libido. Everyone is different, so there is no way to predict what your outcome will be. In the best of cases, in women who retain their ovaries, the ovaries keep on working normally after the surgery and libido is unaffected. In fact, it's fairly common for libido to surgery during the early post op weeks, and then trail off to normal or even less than normal once recovery is complete. However, it's important to realize that removing the uterus compromises the blood supply to the ovaries, so that some women find that their ovaries stop working, either temporarily or permanently, once the uterus is removed. On average, a woman who has a hysterectomy and keeps her ovaries will go into menopause a few years earlier than a women who does not have surgery at all.

We have a Sexual Dysfunction forum here at Hystersisters for women who are past the initial recovery period and who are having problems with either libido or response. I would venture to say that about 80% of the women posting there are having libido issues related to hormone levels. Most of them have had their ovaries removed, but some have not. There are remedies that can be tried - and are often successful - provided that you are a candidate for HRT use, but some women are disappointed or even shocked to find out that they cannot use hormone replacement. What then? It is definitely something to think about before going through with surgery.

Just my , of course, but I would try any and all options offered to you before going through with surgery. Then, at least, if you do have to have a hysterectomy, you will go into it knowing that you definitely made the best choice for your situation. The peace of mind that that knowledge brings is huge in terms of helping you to be able to accept whatever outcome you have, positive or negative, and go forward from there.

I hope this helps with your decision. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register