Cervix - Remove it or keep it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix - Remove it or keep it? Cervix - Remove it or keep it?

Unread 08-22-2001, 09:10 PM
Cervix - Remove it or keep it?

Hi -

This site was recommended to me in a chat room in Yahoo, & am I glad I came!

I am trying to research all of my options as far as my hysterectomy goes - I have surgery Sept 19th & am nervous for a lot of reasons!

My doctor has given me the option of leaving my cervix or removing it. He has to take everything else - I have severe endometriosis, with more pain than I had in childbirth, & the scar tissue is pretty much everywhere in the lower half of my torso. Any suggestions if I should keep it or have it removed? Will it affect my sex life? Is it possible I will need surgery later in life to remove it anyway?

Also, he said that the endometriosis will dissolve once I have the hysterectomy. Is this true? Isn't the scar tissue what's causing all of the pain I have?

Please help - I am very confused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2001, 09:29 PM

Hi Unicorn,

Here is what I know about endo and adhesions ...

If you lose your ovaries the endo will 'starve' without the estrogen. Just removing the uterus without removing the ovaries is not usually reccomended for endo. With no ovaries you will go into menopause pretty much instantly (unless you take hormone replacement therapy - HRT). Some women have had a hyst and removal of their ovaries for endo ... then they wait 6-8 weeks to 'starve' the endo ... then take HRT.

I have not had endo, really, only one teeny lesion that was removed over a year ago and it stayed gone. I have had adhesions and they can cause a lot of pain. When they remove your uterus they will likely remove the scar tissue with it (to clean up that area). Scar tissue forms in response to injury and in response to endo. So, if they remove your uterus, ovaries, and all the endo they can see along with the scar tissue you stand a good chance of feeling way better.

Have you tried Lupron? I know it can have some bad side effects - but if you get alot of relief from it that would indicate that removing your ovaries and the endo will help alot. If not, I would think it was more likely to be adhesions. Using Lupron as a 'test' was suggested for me by one doc, but we decided to do a diagnostic surgery instead. Lupron shuts your ovaries down (causes menopause temporarily).

Well - I hope this helped. I am sure that some of the ladies here who have battled endo and won will be able to shed more light on it. Good luck with your decision.

Pam
TAH 7-12-01

ps- I don't miss my cervix but some women keep them, and studies show a slight improvement in sex life for women who keep their cervix.
Unread 08-23-2001, 12:36 PM

Hi Unicorn,
Can't help you much with the endo question, I only had a few spots. But as far as the cervix goes, I had mine removed and don't notice any difference! Sex is actually better than ever ! The main reason I decided to have it out, other than future problems with cancer, was that I read you can still have mini periods if you keep your ovaries and cervix, so I decided to get rid of it, don't miss it!! Good Luck, Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2001, 12:44 PM

Hi there! I'm so glad you found us!

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly. These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 08-23-2001, 03:07 PM

Hi, I'm scheduled for Vaginal Hyst on 8-29-01.I just left My DR's office.I had the same question, the Dr explained that the cervix is a leading cancer center(as he called it).He thought that I should remove it, just to be on the safe side.He said that he rarely leaves it when he does a hyst., only when the patient insists. After his explinations today, I told him to take mine. I had been on the borderline of taking or leaving. I even went to my family Dr. for his opinion, he said take it also. So, for me I have to say, do your homework, talk to your Dr., then decide.

Good luck.

Laura
Unread 08-23-2001, 09:14 PM
Thank You!!

Thank you to all who have responded to my questions! You have all been very helpful, & I appreciate all of your input!

As far as taking Lupron, I tried it, & was absolutely miserable. By the time three months had gone by, i had gained almost twenty pounds, had bad water retention/bloating, mood swings, & it even got to the point where any physical contact made me physically ill. I went off it after 3 months!

My doctor told me he is going to put me on HRT - I am nervous about it, because I haven't researched that yet, but he said it will help me.

What I am most concerned with now is the scar tissue that is already there. He did a laporoscopy (sp?) in '99, & he said it was everywhere - the operation should have taken an hour, & I was in there for over 3, & he still couldn't get it all. He said when he does my hyst, he is not going to scrape it out again because it will go away by itself. I want him to get as much of it out as he can, but he says it will dissolve once my ovaries are gone. As long as the pain is gone, I will be happy!

Thank you again - i love this website & will recommend it to everyone!!

Unicorn
Unread 08-24-2001, 07:58 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on 8/31/00. I had endometriosis also. my doc gave me the choice of keeping or removing the cervix. I read and researched and decided to have it removed because sometimes there are tiny particles of endo that the docs miss and it will attach to the cervix. I am on HRT and feel great. I have not had any problems. Good Luck to you.
Unread 08-24-2001, 09:05 AM
Helpful posts

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. These answers were so helpful. I started another thread a week back saying the big holdup now to me getting hyst is fear of mini periods and spotting. From those answers and threads, I can see that keeping the cervix can make a difference.

I found this interesting from hhorse-
The main reason I decided to have it out, other than future problems with cancer, was that I read you can still have mini periods if you keep your ovaries and cervix, so I decided to get rid of it, don't miss it!! Good Luck, Sue

LOL with my luck, no matter how rare that is, it would happen to me!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register