Increased estrogen, lower libido | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increased estrogen, lower libido Increased estrogen, lower libido

Unread 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Increased estrogen, lower libido

Hi,
I recently increased by estrogen from one pump per day to two pumps, one a.m. and one p.m. I must admit that the heart palpitations have stopped, the hot flashes have decreased and I sleep much sounder. HOWEVER, I have absolutely NO sexual desire. I do use a dab of testosterone every morning, but nothing. I did try to increase my testosterone by twice as much, and now I have a huge gross pimple on my face. (First in 20 years and it looks so awful.)
I am wondering whether I should go back onto one pump per day. I am so tired of trying to figure all of this out - it has been 3 years. The GP and the OB/GYN tell me that blood tests do nothing - it should all be based on how I feel. At this point, my marriage is suffering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Maybe it would help to find a doctor who does testing, so you know how much testosterone in relationship to other hormones in body.

Hang in there
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Maybe try one and a half pumps per day? Save the other half for the next day. See how you do. If that doesn't work I would find a Dr that will test your levels.

I check my estradiol, estrone, testosterone total and free, and progesterone levels about every year. It helps me know if I may need to tweak things.

Some times women can run a low free testosterone level (which is why they feel a low libido) even though they supplement with testosterone...I think it would be good to know if yours does that. Supplementing with estrogen (esp oral) can bind up the extra estrogen in the blood and consequently bind up some of the free testosterone as well. The body is designed to "mop up" any extra hormones and save them for later use. But sometimes that defense sysytem works a little too well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Absolutely, Anne!

When I have my estrogen high enough to make ME feel good, it does nothing for my marriage (other than it makes me more patient with a certain somebody's quirks).

Unfortuantely (or fortunately), I have to have a schedule now for love making. Since I"m now out of town all week, I just take out my femring on Saturday morning and by evening I'm more amorous. When I told dr that libido seems better as the estrogen is wearing off, she looked at me like I was nuts, but said whatever works for you.
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM

It is scientifically established that high oestrogen levels such as in the BCP can destroy libido and orgasmic capacity.
Unread 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM

I've heard lots of women who have either gone through natural or surgical menopause and take NO hormones at all say that their sex drive is just fine, so doctors don't know everything (or much of anything that I can find) when it comes to women and hormones.
Unread 02-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwoman2
It is scientifically established that high oestrogen levels such as in the BCP can destroy libido and orgasmic capacity.
Would you mind providing a reference to where this is "scientifically established"? Our site's TOS states, in part,
  Quote:
Documentation: You agree to provide reputable, verifiable sources for statements of medical fact that are not common knowledge, especially as regards discussions about hysterectomy type, hormone therapy, treatments for medical conditions and similar topics. This ensures visitors receive up-to-date, accurate information on these topics.
Thank you very much!

And FYI, the doses and types of estrogen used as HRT have very little in common with the synthetic medications used in BCPs, most of which contain high doses of synthetic progestins. It's those progestins which tend to squash libido.

(((Anne))) I agree with your DR that testing usually doesn't help. What the actual numbers are isn't very informative; what is telling is that when you raised your testosterone dose, you got the large pimple - that's too much testosterone. How long had you been using the lower dose of testosterone before you decided to raise the dose? And how long had you been on the estrogen dose you're on?

Are you keeping a journal that lists the date, which vitamins, supplements, hrts and other meds you're on, and what symptoms you're having? That can be a big help in finding balance -- which, like anything worth finding, takes time.

-Linda
Unread 02-14-2009, 04:19 AM

Well, I don't take progestins and when I take a high enough dose of bio identical estrogen to end all of my symptoms, it quashes my libido completely. So, perhaps like everything else, everyone doesn't react the same way to hormones regardless of what the textbooks say.
Unread 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM

I found my libido went completely after one week of estriol cream!
I have done loads of googling into this very subject and there is lots of evidence that HRT reduces libido-surely this is common knowlege? I agree with Carolinachick and mountainwoman2.
I have read that women who do not use HRT can have improved sex drive after menopause because testosterone becomes dominant without estrogen to tie it up.

uk lady
Unread 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Sorry surferbabe. Didn't know I had to have at hand scientific evidence. University education will have to do for now. I will be less direct although, I am trying to be helpful, in Australia certain things are I guess more widely known, as there is stuff over there which is a big deal and not even mentioned nor acknowledged by Physicians here. I am sure ladies can google their questions for evidence, I myself am not knowledgeable to set up links for people, sorry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register