Support Belly Band good idea for swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Support Belly Band good idea for swelly belly? Support Belly Band good idea for swelly belly?

Unread 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Support Belly Band good idea for swelly belly?

So, I'm three days away from the big day (crossing fingers that I get rid of this sinus infection and they don't cancel surgery on me), and I'm reading a lot about the 'swelly belly'. How 'swelly' are we talking here?

Normally, I could care less, but wouldn't you know I have a big wedding to go to at the very end of March, which then I will be 6 weeks post-op.

I'm starting to panic that I won't fit into the dress that I already purchased for this wedding if I have this crazy swelly belly. So, does a support band work at keeping that belly to a minimum if I would wear it everyday after surgery? Would I have to wait for my incisions to heal before wearing that band? I'm having a LAVH. I'm assuming the swelly belly band is more or less for comfort and not a means for keeping the belly 'down' like the support band is....yes?.

How are most of your swelly bellies at 6 weeks post op? Is there anything I can do to help the swelly go away or to keep it from growing I will do whatever it takes. I'm hoping this wedding will be a great 'first date' for my husband and I after this whole surgery saga is over. You all must think I'm nuts

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Hi, issconfused. I think swelly belly varies a lot from one woman to the next and depends in part on type of surgery and activity level. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and I have not had a swelly belly band. I find that at the end of the day, the swelling is worse. I'm at six weeks post-op now, and I was up and pretty active this weekend. In the morning, I put on a pair of jeans that was probably a size too big. By the time I was getting ready for bed, they were a bit snug. However, when I wear elastic pants, I don't notice it much except right at the end of the day when I just feel more swollen.

I'm trying to think about how I would have felt at a wedding this weekend. If I'd been able to completely rest throughout the day, if I wore clothes that weren't too fitted, and if I were willing to go rest or leave early if I got uncomfortable, I would have been able to handle it. I've learned that if I don't expect too much of myself, it's easier to tackle what I want to do.

I had a sinus infection before surgery, too, and everything went fine for me. I hope you feel better in time for your surgery.
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks Fritzi64! I plan on really taking my time to recover so that I can hopefully be in the best condition at six weeks (even though it's going to kill me to sit around and not pick up after my kids). I'm kinda used to a bloated belly right now...I've dealt with that for the past 11 months. I usually hold my jeans together with a rubber band. I haven't gained weight, but my belly is always bloated because this medical saga going on. As for the sinus issue, I started a Z-pack antibiotic today and I'm hoping and praying that I will feel better by Wednesday because I'm instructed to stop taking it at midnight before surgery. Did you have your sinus infection right up and going into surgery? They told me as long as I don't have a fever or sore throat they would go ahead with the surgery. We shall see. I will be devastated if they cancel it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM

I did have the infection right up until surgery, but the nurse and doctor had said I could take sudafed that morning. I did, and then I used a neti pot to clean out my sinuses that morning (I did it twice--yuk). I was fine and didn't feel congested again until several days after my surgery. I think what's most important is that you stay in communication with the doctor and follow the rules.
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Hmm... I had a RAH on January 12th and have a "pretty" big swelly belly, since then. Maybe it'll be less swollen with your type of surgery?!

I use the Swelly Belly Band to reduce pain, the numbness, swelling and itching. For me, it's money well spent. I don't use it wet and directly on my skin, though. That was way to much for me to handle. Instead, I wrap the wet part in plastic wrap and wear it on top of a t-shirt or light-weight PJ bottoms.

You may want to ask your surgeon about an abdominal binder. Mine didn't mention it, not did I get one at the hospital. (I forgot to ask about it, pre-op... and then forgot about it again, post-op, since I was so zoinked out on narcotics.)

As soon as I got home from the hospital, I did place an order at hystersister's store for the AB Binder. Unfortunately, the smallest size ("Princess/Extra Princess") is way too big for me. (I probably only needed the "Princess", if it fit up to 38".)

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion, based on personal experience. Please use my advice only with the approval of your treating physician.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register