Cervical cancer stories? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical cancer stories? Cervical cancer stories?

Unread 08-23-2001, 03:27 PM
Cervical cancer stories?

I have been diagnosed with micro-invasive cervical cancer after a cone done this year. The doctor said to get another pap after a few months and sure enough, another abnormal pap. Soooooo,
I will have the hyster. I dread it but I guess its necessary. I will not miss my heavy, smelly, crampy periods but have worries of the bladder/urinary problems I have heard of. And, of course, menopause coming sooner. My Mom died of breast cancer (in her pleura) 4 years ago. My mamos have been fine, thank God. But I guess this will not let me take estrogen as the history of cancer in my family. I do prefer not to take any more chemicals than really needed.
Please email me with your stories, advice, recommends.
Thanks to all women who support each other here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2001, 03:53 PM
Cervical cancer stories?

Hello and welcome

Isnt cancer a scary word but you are very lucky in that it has been caught in very early stages and the hysterectomy will remove it. Are you having your ovaries removed as well? I kept mine as cervical cancer is not linked to ovarian and I was only 42 at the time . Maybe this is something to discuss with your DR. The best thing to do is to ask questions and be informed.

You can read my story if you click below . And please remember that I am an email away. We are all here for you to help and support . You take extra good care and let us know how you go. Love always x x
Unread 08-24-2001, 05:17 AM
Cervical cancer stories?

HI!
I understand your fears about having a hysterectomy! I had a TVH for cin3 on 7/16. Everyone's experience is unique, but I want to let you know....I've had no complications. My bladder was what I describe as "heavy" for a few days, but no pain, and certainly no incontinence. I tried to strengthen my pelvic muscles before the surgery...and after my doctors approval started them up again. There is now a pill form of fiber-con for bowel regularity. I recommend you ask your dr. about it. It beats prunes, and is way easier on the taste buds than those liquid ones you drink. Just my opinion, ask your dr. before you take anything.

I kept my ovaries, and now at 5.5 weeks postop, I often forget all about the surgery. I feel the same. EXACTLY! I'm now on a mission to keep my body healthy and have researched how to strengthen my immune system to fight this high risk HPV I have.

Before my surgery, I was on these boards several times a day. Come here often and voice all your concerns.

Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2001, 01:44 PM
A HAPPY ENDING...

Hi Transplant,
I am 30 years old and was diagnosed with cervical cancer (50% of the way through my cervix) in febuary. Needless to say, I had the hyster, they took everything overies and 35 pelvic lymph nodes to boot! After my hyster I went through 6 weeks of chemo (cisplatinum) , 8 weeks of external radiation, and 4 interna;l radiation treatments. Really none of this was as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't lose my hair I barley got sick from the chemo and sex is just the same as it used to be......well, maybe better because I never have to worry about periods or pregnancy anymore! And the doctors say I have absolutely no scarring on the inside from the internal radiation so I never have to worry about using a dialator. I know how scary it can be.....I cried for a good month or two, worried about menopause ( I am taking estradiol and I feel exacttly the same as before) But I was also telling myself that I was not goig to have side effects and I didn't really have any. Alot of getting through all of this is a positive attitude and outlook. I was one of the lucky ones because my story has an ending that reads " and the princess lived happily ever-after". Keep your spirits up and feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions ar concers or just need to vent. I fully understand how you feel and I am always willing to help!!!! 's to you and god bless...hope al goes well!
Unread 09-01-2001, 05:36 AM
Research on HPV

Hi!

Hope all things are well with you on your way to wellness. I've found the Hyster Sister site so helpful in dealing with my own hysterectomy...

I have the HPV virus, also. I'm not sure if it is the high risk variety as I haven't been tested to identify the type. I had a recurring precancerous condition along with a huge fibroid that I had the surgery for.

I've been trying to research how nutrition plays a role in managing HPV. I know of the suspected role of vitamin C. Could I ask if you consulted with a natrapath or homepathic doctor? General M.D.s don't seem to have a clue about nutrition and prevention.

Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Connie

[email protected]
Unread 09-01-2001, 03:15 PM
Cervical cancer stories?

I always had normal paps until the summer of 99 when I got a letter in the mail from my gyn that scared me to death. I right away figured that my file had to have gotten mixed up with someone elses, but I was wrong. I was a wreck. Went in for colposcopy and then dr said that we could try the cone. I was finished with my family expanding, so we went right for the hyst. It was really the best thing since there were a few spots on my cervix and my emotional state was at about all it could take. (I too have the HPV virus) Luckily, I didn't need any further treatments and I have had normal paps since my hyst.
I have no idea what I would have done without the ladies here, so when Kathy asked me to hostess I was honored. It really helps me to be able to help other ladies who need some comforting!
Unread 09-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi again!

Thanks to all for all your friendly informative notes! I had a scrapping done after the abnormal pap(I had a cone 4 months ago) and he found NOTHING! He said that is good but I still need to be watched and the hyster is still a good idea. I am thinking of getting it done now as it may be needed 6 months from now, anyway.
What are the stories of vaginal versus abdominal? I know the vag is an easier heal but since my cervix is so high, I was told that if it could not be done vaginal, they would have to go with abdominal anyway and then there are 2 places to heal. I will certianly ask the surgeon that did the cone.
Please write to me, the support is welcome!
Unread 09-10-2001, 07:45 AM
hi

my story is kinda strange...i had a regular paps in february even though the cervix bled when it was scraped...i continued to have pain and bleeding and finally in june found out i had fibroid tumors that were causing the pain along with reoccuring kidney infections...finally, in august i went in for surgery and when they opened me up, they found the cervical cancer...the cancer had grown inward and not outward...that was why the paps was normal...what a shock...i laid there in the recovery room as my dr. told me what had happened and what lied ahead for me...i am 5 weeks post-op today and will start radiation treatments in a week...i am hopeful for a full recovery and really, feeling very well...i have wonderful support from my family, friends and drs...i hope all goes well with you and remember, positive thinking is the best medicine...also talking and venting your frustations can ease your mind...take care and God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register