A question about the morphine pump | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question about the morphine pump A question about the morphine pump

Unread 02-12-2009, 05:01 AM
A question about the morphine pump

Hi! I'm new to this site, still trying to find my way around. I do have a question about the morphine pump. My surgery is scheduled for February 16. I will be have a TAH and was given info about the pump at PAT yesterday. How effective is it and are you pretty much pain-free while you're in the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM

I didn't have to ask my dr for a pump, he automatically orders them. I had to remind him that I have reactions with anything narcotic however

I was given meds in my IV and orally and was kept fairly comfortable. I just had to remember to ask for more meds before the pain was bad and it was kept under control.

Unread 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Hi Hailey,

I had a TAH and had the pump. I asked to be taken off and given oral medication the morning after - the pump did deliver pain relief quickly but I found the medication gave me hallucinations - I could hear people talking in my room and there was no one there - also my room-mate had a hallucination that there was a fire - I'm sure it is different for everyone but this is just something to be aware of. When I asked to be removed from the pump they said I didn't use much anyways.

It was helpful to use it a bit before you get out of bed to to use the washroom it made getting out of bed easier.

Hope this is helpful = I don't want to scare you - just make you aware of what happened to me. Take care - you will be all better soon,

Veronica
1 year post-op TAH - kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Hi
I had a TAH, woke up with the morphine pump and used it when I felt I needed it. I had it for two days and it was helpful prior to moving and if I woke up and was uncomfortable.
I'm not sure it's realistic to expect to be completely "pain-free", but it certainly was quick acting and served the purpose while I had it.
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:26 AM

I had the pump and it was bloody brilliant!! It kept me virtually pain free. I was a bit worried about overdosing myself, but there are safety controls that keep that from happening.

I used it only for a day.
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM

My hyster was july 1st and I had the pump also. It was heaven sent. I was pain free with it. I was allowed to push the button every 10 mins, if needed. If I pushed it more then that it has a safety guard on it and it will only allow it to disitribute every 10 mins.The next morning they took it off but didn't remove it from the room in case I was in to much pain and needed to reconnect it to my I.V. but I didn't need it anymore and my pain was well under control with oral pain meds.
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM

I agree that you will not be pain free but it will help a lot. I used the pump constantly for the first 24 hours. I didn't have any problems with it. Then they changed me to oral pain meds. I only took them for 3 days cuz when they wore off I felt worse than if I would not have taken them. They also caused problems like constipation & sleeplessness. I am sure it is a bit different for everyone but you should be fine. Best wishes.
Unread 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Hi

I had my surgery at 4pm and had my morphone pump for 48 hours, it was wonderful!! I was not painfree but I was certainly a lot more comfortable with it, particularly during that first night, when I'd waken and want to move I'd just give it a little click beforehand. I did not react in anyway to the morhphine, I did however ask for an anti nausea drug just in case.

Good luck
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

I was on the morphine pump for the two days that I was in the hospital. It was wonderful. Like some of the other ladies said, it's not going to make you pain free, but it will keep you comfortable. Then after I went home I was on Vicodin. The only drawbacks with both of them is that you will get constipated. They gave me stool softeners in the hospital and I continued them when I went home.
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM

My doctor told me I would have the morphine pump and I really thought I wouldn't be in that much pain. Boy was I happy to have that. The first 24 hours I used it a lot. The next day I used it a little less and then by the third day I was switched to oral pain meds and monitored for 24 hours to make sure I would be ok at home.

To be "pain free" after TAH is not realistic. I am not trying to scare you, but there will be pain and be sure to take your pain meds as needed. Don't try to wait until you are really hurting before taking something.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register