Any other horseowners? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other horseowners? Any other horseowners?

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Re: Any other horseowners?

Went to pet them and feed carrots as soon as I was back from the hospital. Didn't really pick feet, throw feed, etc until about 6-8 weeks postop. Depends on whether you have full abdominal incision (longer wait perhaps) or vaginal hyst or laparoscopic...

Miss those horses too much to wait too long. Have very helpful DH here too. Makes a big difference!

Good luck with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Thank you! I am most anxious to heal properly as I was out feeding two days after shoulder surgery and got scolded by the follow up nurse. <sheepish grin> I have two green broke 5 year old geldings I want to ride so badly, but it hurts to get on/off now, so I'll be very patient after this surgery. I just want it done and get my life with horses back!
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:40 AM

ME! I have a 12 year old PB Arab gelding named JJ. I currently play at dressage (translate - pootle around doing shoulders-in and occasionally do a test at a show ). I'm really glad I found this thread. Pony is one of the reasons I want to postpone my surgery till January when the weather will be blech and I won't be pining to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM

wanttolearn: I waited a full 8 wks before I got into the saddle and when I did I walked around only for two more weeks. But when I was two weeks post I went to my Mom's to give him carrots over the fence and get my horsey fix. I have now been riding for 7 months almost....

windhorse: I had my surgery January 18th and it was the best decision I made. I had three months of recovery with yucky weather so it made it impossible to ride....we had 4 feet of snow too so that helped as well.

Just take it slow ladies and you will be back in the saddle soon.
Unread 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Great thread to read I have a 14 year old Haflinger, and an 8 year old Miniature paint Stallion. My surgery isn't until December, so by spring I should be able to get back in the saddle. I look forward to that. I enjoyed reading about the horsey's here. I have goats and sheep too, and I know I won't be able to stay away from them, but I won't lift anything.
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:29 PM

My Quarter Horse, Sonny, and I are finally going in the direction we need to be....he is finally sound and I am having a lot more energy inspite of 90 degree heat.

Happy trails all!
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM

My Quarter Horse, Sonny, and I are finally going in the direction we need to be....he is finally sound and I am having a lot more energy inspite of 90 degree heat.

Happy trails all!
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:56 PM

I have three wonderful quarter horses. Two red dun mares, and one dun gelding. Western pleasure bred, but now that the daughter is grown and gone, they are trail ridden. The gelding is absolutely stunning, but has been de-nerved due to arthritis (he's young, but huge). So, he is my gorgeous pasture ornament. Sadly, he's only been sound enough to ride once since his surgery in 08. One mare is in training right now, while I recuperate from hysterectomy. Can't wait to get riding again!
Unread 01-05-2011, 05:22 AM

I have been a horse only twice now since surgery and at a sedate walk as the surgeon recommended. Take your time in getting back up into the saddle. Remember that lifting yourself up there is way more than the 5 lb limit you are on now so you guts will have to get strong again for that movement! My two 5 year olds are going back to the trainer this spring for refresher training. My Friesian mare is okay for riding, but she only likes to walk. :-) Good for me until the boys are back.
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm glad I find this thread. I have a 7 year old QH mare that I ride western and show. My husband has a 7 year old Paint mare that he does Cowboy Mounted Shooting on. I had a dvh on 12/29 and have only been able to see my horse a few times to pet and give her treats. The weather has kept us snowed in and then I had to have some suture repairs that put me back to square on in activity. This is a really long time for me to not be riding. After years of letting my daughter ride and show, I have been working to get back into the show pen. Finally found my horse. Have had her for 3 years, got her as a less than green broke 3 year old that had been starved. Rehab took a year. Now she is trained and ready. I was showing walk-trot and broke out into loping classes in the fall. Feel like I am so behind now. Sigh. I know that getting back into the saddle will take a while and my Dr. doesn't get the animal connection. March can't come soon enough so I can get back in the saddle!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register