Vaginal Cancer - surgery Monday - confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Cancer - surgery Monday - confused Vaginal Cancer - surgery Monday - confused

Unread 02-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Vaginal Cancer - surgery Monday - confused

Good Evening - I am new to this site...I had my hyst....3 years ago - because of severe Endo...plus I had high grade HPV and my pap's kept coming back abnormal - never did the biopsy turns to anything - but because of the high grade HPV and the Endo - my OB at the time suggested to do total hysterectomy - I kept the ovaries....well now 3 years later - and my pap came back as just abnormal - nothing to worry about - but we decided to go ahead and do the colposcopy - I showed a few areas of HPV - so he did a biopsy....not expecting anything - other than a follow up in 6months....well a week later - I was told it was stage 0/1 - grade 3 vaginal cancer....and I went to see the oncologist.....went to one was not comfortable - so went to see another one - which I loved....she decided to go ahead and we are doing a wide local excision surgery - I have 3 tumors on the vaginal cuff....I know I am lucky its early stage - so I am not super worried about that....just tired of really having to deal with all this all over again.....but my question is - has anyone had the wide local excision surgery - I really do not know what to expect...if I will be in in any pain - the doctor said I should be able to go back to work in a few days after the surgery - I tend to freeze up and and not ask questions - and now I can not find much online about vaginal cancer surgery - and what to expect....so if anyone can give me any info that would be great - all I know is there are 3 tumors - one is about 4mm and the other 2 are pretty small....she decided against the laser surgery - because she wants to get a good piece for the pathologist to be able to biopsy - so we know for sure what we are dealing with....sorry to ramble on - just confused - and not sure where to turn.....Thank you for anything you can give me !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 12:17 AM

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Vaginal cancer is pretty rare, there are a few of us on here who have dealt with it. Although, I don't think they had the wide local excision. I only had/have one tumor located in the upper left fornix of the vagina, had chemo/rads but was told in Dec. it was still there. Just finished with Cyberknife treatment. It is very good they found it at an early stage. Mine was a stage I low grade cells. Just being a stubborn jerk about leaving. You won't find much out there about vaginal cancer, and what is out there tends to be outdated and very scary! I'm done looking it up, because what the internet says doesn't agree with what my oncology team says. Which is great for me. I also had had abnormal paps related to cervical issues about 20 yrs ago. And my journey started with another abnormal pap in 2007 which led to my cervix actually being healthy and the bad pap was due to vaginal cancer. I wish you luck with your treatment and I am sure others who may have had this type of surgery will be along. I can think of another member who had it for VAIN I'm sure she'll be along to let you know how the excision went for her. It is late and I feel like I am rambling so I'll shut up! LOL
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:32 AM

Yes - I agree - there is nothing on the internet about it - I know I am lucky for it to have been caught when it was...and I guess we will know for sure what stage and grade when the oncologist removes it and sends it off.....its so weird to me - I feel I all of a sudden know nothing - even after going through nursing school....so I do thank you for any and all information that I am given....I know my family is probably getting sick of me rambling on and on about it....so thank you for responding so quickly...and I wish you the best of luck with yours as well....again thank you - I am glad I finally decided to join this site tonight....you think after healing from the hysterectomy - the worst is over....guess these cells decide they want to stay around and play with your mind over and over again....so thank you - and yes I agree its late - and I should turn this off and go to bed...because I also tend to just go on and on.....but thank you - I feel I finally have a place to talk...should have done it awhile ago...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 04:39 AM

One thing I have learned is that although it is an uncommon/rare cancer, it is more often found in those who have had hysterectomies. I'm glad you continued to have your paps. I didn't have a hysterectomy and considered out of the norm because of my age at being diagnosed (38). I had NO symptoms, only signal something was wrong was the abnormal pap, when going for the colposcopy is when the gyno saw the "mass". I know what you mean about all of a sudden not knowing anything, I'm a nurse also, but not at it very long, I was diagnosed 2 weeks after passing the NCLEX. Have you been sent for your scans yet? I know that is one of the first things they did when they suspected mine was cancer. There are 2 other ladies here that were primary vaginal cancer diagnosis. I'm sure they and others will be along to give their support and experiences. This is scary that is no lie, but doable.
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Hi canurse4you,
I, too, was diagnosed with vaginal cancer in March of 07. I know how scary it is to get a diagnosis like this.
I didn't have the wide local excision so I can't comment on what that is like.
My tumor was in the lower vagina close to my urethra, so my team opted for chemo and radiation....no surgery. They explained to me that due to the location of the tumor there would have been a possibility of damage to the urethra.
Even though it's scary to have this to deal with, like Ialwaysworry said it is doable.
Hang in there! It's great you caught this early when it is highly curable!
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi! I'm sorry that you are going through this. When we found my tumor, the Gyn I was going to thought it was just a cyst. A month later I told him that it was still bothering me, so he took it out.

He did what I guess was a wide local excision. He just took out the lump with some surrounding tissue. He got clean margins. I had virtually no pain. It was done as a day surgery, so I was home a few hours after the procedure. My DH had to keep yelling at me to sit down! LOL! I had it done on Friday and I took Monday off just in case. I went back to work on Tuesday. (Even though I found out my "cyst" was cancer on the Monday.) I had no problems at all. However, I only had one tumor removed and it was only about 1cm.

It's is not a whole lot of fun, but it is doable. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck,
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register