weight (child mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight (child mentioned) weight (child mentioned)

Unread 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
weight (child mentioned)

I know this has been discussed time after time on here, but need a little support today. I am ALMOST 6 MONTHS POST OP!!!! WOOOO HOOOO. But I am still having weight issues. I have gained about 20 lbs and no matter how much watching what I eat or how much I exercise, the weight won't drop. I have been to dr about it and thyroid is fine. So was CBC and CMP. I am starting to get down. I am 29, 5'3 and 180 lbs. I use the elliptical 20-30 minutes a day, chase the kid, clean the house, and do wii fit for 30 minutes a day. I do not just sit very often. Also I have been really really tired lately. I am on an excellent vitamin/mineral supplement, so I don't believe it is that. Anyway, can anyone just help today? Share stories? Make an overweight girl feel a little better or that maybe this weight won't stick around? Have a good day my sisters. Keep the hope. Keep the faith. that is what I always say, but today seems to be difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
weight (child mentioned)

You are just a little further along in your recovery than I am. But, looks like our stories are almost identical. Including our age!

I have had a really hard time keeping the weight off since my op. I have had to decrease my calories to 1200 a day! If you arent keeping a calorie journal, it is a good idea. I now do core/strength training 3 -4 days a week AND 40 minutes of cardio a minimum of 3 days a week. And sister, even with all of that, I am STILL not losing any weight! Just maintaining.

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right! Are you using a heart rate monitor when you are on the ellipitical? You want to make sure you arent in the red zone. I noticed when I used the elliptical I was always on the high end. So you might consider getting a good heart rate monitor, like the watch type, that way you can make sure you are in the fat burn/calorie burn zone.

As for energy levels, I WISH I had more! My doc put me on 1000 mcg of B12 daily. However, I have a REALLY tough time if I do cardio early in the day. I seriously just want to sleep the rest of the day. So now I do it in the evenings.

I hope this helps you!

Unread 02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
weight (child mentioned)

thank you! i do watch my heart rate. I do watch my calories. I do some taebo for core strengthening and lift weights to build up back and ab strength. I do crunches. Anything I can think of and still nothing. I am on the vivelle dot .75mg or something like that. I am going to up my b12. I didn't realize b12 was that important and only get about 200mcg a day. Since water soluable I think that will be okay to up. Anyway it is just annoying. My dr swears it will go away in about 2 to 3 years. doh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
weight (child mentioned)

beetberry,

It took quite some time after my tah/bso to be able to shed any weight. Than I would lose and it would come right back. Finally, my body settled down and I was able to shed the few pounds I had put on before my surgery. I think the body goes thru a major change after surgical menopause. It can take some time for our bodies to recover. I do still have to watch myself carefully as the weight can come back on very quickly.

Here's two good articles that you may find interesting:
Weight and Hrt
Weight and Menopause

One other thing to watch for is a thyroid imbalance. A few years after my tah/bso I noticed that I was starting to gain a few pounds, despite the fact that I really wasn't eating much. I was having a few other symptoms also. During my well woman exam, my doc did some bloodwork which included a thyroid panel. Turns out my thyroid was starting to have problems. Once we got that under control my weight was under control again. I'm not saying that is the issue now, just something to keep an eye on in the future.

Here's another article for you to read:
Thyroid and Hrt

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register