Burning Sensation Down Below | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burning Sensation Down Below Burning Sensation Down Below

Unread 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Burning Sensation Down Below

Has anyone else had trouble with a burning feeling down below? I can't determine if it is bladder related or vaginal related... just feels extremely irritated in the whole area..
I am having my 3 month pap on Wed, but wanted to know if I should see if there is bladder infection or something else before then. I don't seem to have the urgency related with a bladder infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Pattie - try drinking lots of liquids and especially cranberry juice in the case that it is a bladder infection - glad you have an exam coming up soon!
Unread 02-21-2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks Tall lulah... I am doing that... I keep thinking about how much pain Ga Ga had down there and it is scaring me... She and I had very similar dx at surgery time. I finally was able to get some sleep after taking some aspirin... I had soaked in a bath last night before bed and am now wondering if it is some of our famous heavily clorinated Chicago water doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2009, 06:26 AM

I am glad you are going to be checked for a UTI, Pattie. I had a pretty nasty one a few months after surgery and I am not prone to them.

With our heat set higher than usual because of the cold, I am having a major problem with dry skin this winter. I do not burn in that area, but it is itchy. I use a little lube to relieve the itch.

When I was a little girl and that area itched, my mother would use zinc oxide ointment. Perhaps you should check out that remedy with your doctor, as it may not be acceptable nowadays. I remember that it was very soothing.
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Hi!

I am not wrestling with cancer but I love this site for all the help and comfort it gave me when I was going through my hysterectomy and then prolapse repair surgery.

Just want to tell you I have recently been diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis which causes a great deal of irritation, burning, itching and pain. Before my diagnosis I couldn't tell if I was suffering from a UTI, yeast or bacterial infection or severe dryness...and I was miserable. Now, after I get the flare under control with cortisone I use an ointment (comes in a gel, lotion or cream) called Calendula. It is available in most health stores and over the Internet, it is reasonably priced. It soothes and provides a protective coat so urination doesn't add to the burning. It might be worth while to give it a try.

God Bless all of you ladies on this forum....

Diana
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM

I have felt that same discomfort since after my surgery. I have mentioned to my gyn-onc and gotten no helpful response....his suggestion was use some A&D ointment if things feel irritated. Not exactly the response I was hoping for. I spoke to the NP and she thought it might be dryness and suggested Replense. I have tried it, but not consistently the way she suggested. I recently was on antibiotics and things were really uncomfortable "down there" so I used Gyno-Lotrimin for yeast. Things are a little better but still not great. I want to start the Replense again but want to make sure the whole yeast thing is gone.
Please let me know what your Dr. says....it's really annoying to me but the doctor doesn't seem to take it too seriously....
Unread 02-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Yes, I have the same problem with this gyn/onc... Last time I thought I had a UTI he told me to go see my PCP... My old gyn used to just do a urine test right there and give me prescription if I needed something, however I haven't had (to my knowledge) a uti since surgery or way before.. It's almost if the labia are on fire...
He also said to use Replens because he wont prescribe any Estrogin cream because of the cancer. I have been using KY silkE, but may have to go get the Replens... I think a lot of it is due to atrophy, but it is dominating my thoughts and last night literally kept me awake.
Unread 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM

I thought that I had a UTI at about eight weeks, but it turned out to be vaginal dryness. Vaginal moisturizers can bring some relief, and some people end up using estradiol to deal with their dryness. In the meantime, you can purchase over-the-counter test strips to check for UTI if you would like a more definitive answer before seeing your doctor.
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM

I had to pretty much give up baths after my surgery. My vagina would just feel too irritated afterward. Then, last month I had to have laser surgery for vulvar dysplasia and I had to take baths up to three times a day. My Gyn/Onc had me put Instant Ocean, a salt for aquariums that you get at the pet store. Even taking all those baths did not seem to dry me out nearly as much with the Instant Ocean. Maybe putting that in your bath water would help?
Unread 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM

If you are taking baths, Pattie O, Aveeno makes an oatmeal "powder" that you can use in the bath. It is all natural and very soothing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register