2 days preop and need support!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days preop and need support!! 2 days preop and need support!!

Unread 02-22-2009, 07:39 AM
2 days preop and need support!!

OK- now it is hitting, hard. I am done with work- tomorrow is clears and bowel prep day- Tuesday is surgery day- and I am about having an anxiety attack. Really started yesterday when I ran out of things to do- laundry, cleaning up the birds' cages, groceries, ( bought the juice and jello). I started getting anxious. THis AM I woke up early and husband isn't up yet. He is fighting a bad cold and I NEED him to get better fast. I am trying to watch TV- etc to get my mind off ME but I am having a hard time focusing. I am distracted and scared of any and everythig possible to be scared of. This is where 25+ years of nursing makes it very hard to surrender to being a patient!! If you get this message soon- please know that you being here for other "sisters" is so important right now. I feel like I can talk to this forum honestly, and not be strong and calm for my family. I need to figure out something to do today to make the hours pass. Not sure yet what that is.
Thanks for listening!
Sugar&Spice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Hey Sugar,

I am sorry to hear you are so anxious. Try going to a movie today, I strongly recommend gran torino! I find that watching a movie at home does not pull me in like sitting in a theatre. I had a TAH on 1/14 and was beyond anxious the weeks leading up to my surgery, almost paranoid, drove everyone around me crazy I'm sure. I am the biggest baby and have to say I really overworried. The surgery was no where near as bad as I geared myself up for and the recovery isn't as painful as you would think either. It just takes time and patience. Big hugs sent your way. Julie
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Hi Sugar!! I know where you are coming from in the nervousness dept. I didn't know what to do with myself the weekend before my surgery. I ended up scrubbing the house, grocery shopping, ordering movies from netflix and watching a movie with my DH. I had a really hard time sleeping the night before due to the combo of pre-op bowel cleanse, lack of food and nervousness. I was amazingly calm when I got to the hospital at 6 am and they told me they were two hours behind!!!

Good luck with your surgery!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2009, 09:17 AM

Hang in there, as a nurse you know this is a straightforward procedure and what to expect. I would go to a movie today too and I can second the Gran Torino recommendation, it is an awesome movie. Just relax, it will be over before you know it!
Unread 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM

Yep, I would suggest that you get yourself out of the house and have a good time to take your mind of YOU!

I can't tell you how scared I was for the last couple of days before surgery but I couldn't believe how little pain I had post op. Here I am 6 months on doing fine.

It seems that Nurses really do have a harder time than the rest so, in this case, knowledge really doesn't seem to help!
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM

i agree, go out today! you might not feel up to going out for a while!

obviously though go out before you start your bowel prep!

huuuuuuuuggggggggggssssssssss
jamesgirl
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:50 AM

The waiting is the worst part. Maybe get some dvd's that you know you love & watch them? It is hard to get your mind off it. Best wishes.
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM

thanks to all for posting. DH has the flu!!! Chills, sniffles, aches. sinus pressure, dizziness. Guess I am not going out anywhere today- trying to get him better quick,and not catch anything myself. It never rains..... thanks to all for support and good wishes
Sugar &Spice
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM

my son just got over the flu..... i have been washing everything like crazy trying not to get it....

as a nurse i am sure you know all the right things to do to try not to get it...

i hope he feels better real soon (took my son a whole week) and that you don't get it!

huuuuggggssssss
jamesgirl
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi Sugarandspice~
Don't worry, it will be over soon! Try to keep busy maybe see/rent a funny movie~I have found laughter is the best medicine!! The waiting is the hardest part. I had mine just this past tues. Not to be rude, but, try to keep a distance form your husband. You don't want to get sick, they might have to postpone the surgery~I KNOW you don't want that. The surgery was not that bad just the catheter and the packing were uncomfortable, but after they removed it, I was a new woman!!!!!! I also got some versed b4 the surgery in pre-op. It helped sooooo much. I would definately recommend it for nerves. I hope your next day and a half go superfast for you. Maybe some tylenol pm for the next 2 nights?

Best wishes and hang in there you will do great!

[[[[[hugs]]]]]
Kristy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register