Left sided pain (2009): UPDATED 9 years later, 2018 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Left sided pain (2009): UPDATED 9 years later, 2018 Left sided pain (2009): UPDATED 9 years later, 2018

Unread 02-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Left sided pain (2009): UPDATED 9 years later, 2018

I am having left side pain. It hurts when I get up in the moring and then picking up my grandson seems to make it worse. The doctor felt all around ad said there was no hernia. then I had an ultrasound and they didn't see anything. but I still have the pain. I have no bulges. My total abdominal hysterectomy has in August. I had wound healing issues. No infection but massavie drained for 4 weeks then another 2 months before the incision healed. The left side seemed to be the problem. So hernia's can be hard to find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM

There are so many reasons why one could experience pain. Are you keeping a journal of all of your symptoms that you can share with your doctor? Are there reasons you feel you have a hernia even though your doctor does not think that is the problem? If you do not agree with your doctor, you may want to visit your primary care physician (or your GYN if you have just visited with your primary care physician).

I hope things improve for you soon! S
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Phoebe - So sorry that you are having to deal with an unknown pain. I agree with Weiser that maybe you could see another doctor. Keeping a pain journal is a wonderful idea. It allows you to see if its certain activities or food that make the pain worse. It will also give you something to show the doctor (they love documentation ). Having a CT scan or a colonoscopy done is probably the next step in trying to find the problem. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are able to find an end to your pain soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Hernia

I had an incisional hernia that developed after my incision re-opened and drained / healed for about 6 weeks. I knew that my incision healed funny, and was lumpy but didn't know it was a hernia.

The entire left side of my pelvis had been (and continues to be) painful since 2003. I was examined by 5 different M.D.'s, had CT, MRI, ultra-sounds and probably other stuff I don't remember, before a surgeon examined my while I was standing and found it right away. (he also missed it a year previously)

So, at least for me, a hernia can be hard to find.

I wish you luck!

~~Mel
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM

I had right sided pain after my last surgery in October. Actually the pain has always been there, it just got worse after my last surgery. Ovary and cyst removal. I found out from a second opinion from a gyne that it is actually something called pelvic floor myalgia - which means that the muscle that runs from my bladder to my hip to my back was in some way damaged. Weather it be prior to the surgery and then made worse when the dr cut or what we will never know but I can tell you that physical therapy has been the best thing I have ever done. I have been to see a pt now twice and my pain is virtually gone. I have returned to daily exercise again and feel great. I only experience the pain after sitting too long or sleeping too long. Get a second opinion DO NOT LET ANY DR tell you that you are crazy, or you just have to live with the pain. NOBODY should ever have to live with pain in this day and age of medicine.
Unread 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM

I do think they can be hard to find. I've had many ultrasounds and 2 previous CTs (one with contrast and one without), and none of these showed any area suspicious for a hernia. I also have no bulge. I had a laparoscopy in December, and my doctor noticed an area that resembled a hernia in the ovarian fossa (only saw this after he detached the ovary from the colon and moved it back down). Since I've still been having left-sided pain, he decided to check further into whether I could have a hernia. I had another CT done with barium, and this time they will be specifically looking at that area. I read another post here that stated that in order to look for a hernia CTs must be done with contrast and they must be specifically told to look for a hernia.

If it is really bothering you, then I would not give up. It may not be a hernia, but something is causing you pain right now. Endoals correct, you shouldn't have to suffer in pain.
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

It's 4 years now for me with the Left Side Pain & 4 surgeries. I'm figuring out that surgery isn't going to fix this. There's not much else to remove! On my last surgery (5 weeks ago) doc was convinced he would find an incisional hernia b/c he could feel the lump in my abdomen, left side. Well, I come out of anesthesia, and No Hernia, also no more left ovary or cervix! I'm just starting to look into Pelvic Floor Myalgia, mentioned above here. There are so many theories out there, and different doctors with different opinions. (I know, I've seen at least 10 docs since this started.) I won't give up, thanks to everyone here, I don't have to! But first, I think I need a little more time to recover from this one. Sometimes, I just need to pretend this isn't my life, ya know?

Keep the faith!
~Sue
Unread 08-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Re: Left sided pain

I posted about pain in the left side in 2009. I still have that pain but it is worse. One doctor thought it might be a hernia but said he wasnt sure that would stop the pain but in 2 more Ct scans there is no hernia to be found. It gets worse if I lift. Or if I go on bumpy roads, or a bumpy boat ride. Like something is pulling inside and then my abdomen becomes a.swollen and I generally have diarrhea If I take cortisone tablets before a bumpy ride, it helps. Or afterward to get better. I can't believe it's been this long and I am still suffering.
Unread 08-07-2018, 06:56 PM

The last doctor I went to was a plastic surgeon who said it could be the scar had entangled a nerve. She would take the scar out. But that still would not take care of the pulling sensation I get.
Unread 09-04-2018, 11:49 PM

I have been in your shoes too. But more of it is my pelvic area. I have been treated for a hernia too along with my 2nd colonoscopy. Did you keep your ovaries? I only have one ovary left since my doc removed everything else. Plus within 6 months post surgery I developed a cyst on that ovary and that is related to the pain. I have a consolation with a surgeon on it since now there is more than one now. I hate being in pain too.
<3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register