thanks to all! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thanks to all! thanks to all!

Unread 08-24-2001, 02:19 PM
thanks to all!

Just a word of thanks to all who have written to me or posted here. What a great site--I will recommend to all women I know who are to take the hyster. journey.
I go next Wed to oncologist surgeon who will check things and hopefully get me booked soon for the hyster. Not that I am anxious, but I need to get back to work as soon as possible.
I have one question, though. I had a ceasearan (sp?) 15 years ago and have heard that is how he can go in. I would like the vaginal(faster recovery) but I am very 'high' I have been told and I may end up going abdominal anyway. I am very overweight and he mentioned that,too, is a risk factor. A woman I work with is the same size as me and her doctor did not mention her weight before the hyster. I guess he has to mention it as a risk in surgery but he hadnt a good answer why he said it and it irritated me..! Any thoughts from anyone?
With much grattitude and love to all!

FROM AN EDIT ON 8/25--I am sorry--I meant that my cervix is very high, not the cancer. All gynos have had a hard time locating it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2001, 06:27 PM
thanks to all!

If the ovaries are an issue or cancer is up "high" then the abdominal route is normally used. This gives the doctors a better view and it is more likely for nothing to be left behind. Keep in mind that whether you go abdominal or vaginal, the recovery time is the same. The only difference is that you do not have any external stitches with the TVH, but you still have all of the internal ones to heal! Best of luck to you, and I am so happy to hear that you have received help and support here!! Keep on posting and remember that we are all here for each other!
Unread 08-25-2001, 01:26 AM
thanks to all!

Wishing you good luck with the oncology surgeon next Wed. I had the LAVH and I still rested for about 8 weeks. I know this does seem like a long time but in the end it is worth it. Please do let us know how you go next week and dont forget that we are all here for you x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2001, 06:34 AM
thanks to all!

Hi Poetzmuse!!
Just wanted to wish you the best at your appt. next week.

I had the TAH because with the ovarian cancer they wanted to have a good look around as well as do the staging. I healed very well from it and the staples usually come out within 5 or 7 days, but as Cyd mentioned the internal work is all the same.

You may wish to post this question concerning TVH vs TAH on the Post Op board as well to see what determined which route was used for the ladies there.

So glad you are finding the site helpfull to you. We are so lucky to have it, and I too spread the word about it anytime I hear someone mention that this surgery is being considered for them. Please let us know how you make out with you appointment on Wednesday!!

Hugs!!
Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register