Second Opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second Opinions Second Opinions

Unread 08-25-2001, 02:56 AM
Second Opinions

My dr. has recommend a hyst, which really is no surprise. My biggest problems have been some really long, heavy (.), going to anemia sometimes. Pain has been just kind of hovering in the background, but lately is significant. From ultrasound and D&C reports, I know that fibroids and possible adenomyosis are more than likely the causes. The Dr. said my uterus is at a 12 week pregnancy size. The Dr. said that there's really not much else to try since I've already tried the D&C and hrt and those didn't work.

The recommendation is really not a surprise. From what I've learned, I figured I'd be at this place sooner or later. I'm as comfortable with this as anyone can be about major surgery. But I think my insurance may require a second opinion--gotta check on that. This may seem dumb--but what's the best way to go about getting one? I mean, do you just find a Dr. (somehow)--it would have to be a surgeon wouldn't it, if it's not a gyn? Do you tell the Dr. right off the bat that you are there for a second opinion? Would that info be helpful for the Dr. to know or would the Dr. kind of just blow you off?

I wonder how many women have gone to a Dr. for a second or third opinion and went through w/the 2nd or 3rd Dr's. opinion, possibly having surgery, and not have had any other experience before with that Dr.?

This Dr. that has recommended the hyst is new to me, but I went based on a patient's recommendation (which I think is more meaningful sometimes that a Dr. recommending another Dr!). (My previous Dr. said that a hyst may be in my future, but he wanted me to try just one more pill--obviously it didn't work. I stopped seeing that Dr. because I found out although he practices with a group of gyns, he himself is an M.D., but not a gyn.) I very much liked the new Dr. He listened to me, seemed to carefully check the ultrasound and D&C reports that I took w/me, examined me, and was very kind (yes, that means a lot to me). But I'm a very cautious person--I must be since I've put up with this for so long I just want to make sure, as sure as I can.

The Dr. wanted me to take some iron tabs to get built back up after the latest period from heck and see him again Oct. 1. I know I'll have a skazillion questions--am wondering about some bladder repair (is it possible, what kind, etc.). So, besides the questions about a second opinion, here I am asking questions also about what to ask the Dr. at my next visit--am I alot of trouble, or what?! I know there's one of those pull-down deals on the main page that tells what a person needs to ask at one of the visits. Would the Oct. 1 visit be the time to ask those questions? Wonder if the Dr. would want to see me even again after Oct 1st--we'd discussed surgery on Thanksgiving week (the best time to be out of school)

Good grief! I know this is long, but the questions just kind of keep on comin! I know the final decisions are up to me, but I really like hearing other people's experiences and opinions. They really mean a lot and do help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2001, 02:01 PM
Second Opinions

Dear Jeannie,

I called the doc office after my visit and told the doc directly I needed another opinion. He gave me the name of a uro-gyn specializing in pelvic reconstruction (wow, all the ay to the top!!).

The uro-gyn had much less cutting & pasting in mind... and I didn't mnd using a *different* doc... I just wanted the BEST doc.

This is major surgery, and you owe it to yourself to get 2 or 3 medical opinions. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register