Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 02-Mar 08,2009 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 02-Mar 08,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 02-Mar 08,2009

Unread 03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Mar 02-Mar 08,2009

If your hysterectomy was between Mar 02-Mar 08,2009 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.***
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

***If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns! There's information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM

Made it through! All can say so far, as the meds still making me loopy.
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM

I am home now afterTVH/BSO on Tuesday.I think I needed ro wtqy qnother day for pain control. I will keep you updated.

MELISSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Changed my life already

So, surgery was Monday morning, 3/2/09. All I can say is...wow.

It started off a bit rocky, only because we had a hard time getting the IV started. I have tricky veins, and they were at their trickiest that morning. But we got there.

The hubby was having an awful time with all this, and found it difficult to sit with me while I waited to be wheeled down the hall to surgery. But he's a trooper, and I'm reminded why he's my best friend. He was a much happier camper when I came back down the same hallway.

Waking up from anesthesia was NOT fun. I knew exactly where I was, and all I could think was "What have I done"? But the nurse was pushing the pain meds, literally counting down the seconds until I could have another dose. Within less than an hour they had me from a pain level of 8 or 9 to a 6 or 7. By that night I was at maybe a 5. By the next morning, no higher than a 4.

And apparently I set new hospital records for being up and walking after surgery. Within about 5 hours after getting out of recovery I insisted on walking. So I got paraded around the nurses station, and boy...did it feel good!

Sleeping was hard that night. Mainly because the pain meds made me very itchy. Once the pain pump was disconnected though, it subsided. I went home about 30 hours after surgery. And I have felt remarkable ever since.

My Doctor called with my path report, and as we suspected it was severe adenomyosis. Talk about feeling vindicated! But no cancer or other abnormalities. I'm officially on my way to having my life back.

On the TMI side...I even had a BM this morning. The bowels are gurgling and burbling, so hopefully that won't pose a problem either.

Would I do this again? In a heartbeat. I know I will probably have a few slumps before I'm fully healed, but so far at least I could not have asked for a better recovery. The pain and pressure in my back and hips is completely gone already. And my belly is tender (and swollen!), but I can't say it really hurts. I'm staying on top of the pain meds just because I don't want to it to get away from me, but I can see being done with them in a few days.

I truly hope each and every one of you has a similar experience. It will all be worth it!
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Doing absolutely wonderful!!!!

I have been home for about 11 hours now and I couldn't feel better if I were walking on clouds!! I have absoluely no endo pain! The only pain I have is just some soreness and gas pain. My sent me home with Lorcet plus for pain, 2 pills 4 times a day. But I have only been taking 1 at a time so I am not feeling too doped up. And using the Gas X has really helped. I think that was the best advise I got. I am looking forward to my hubby pampering me for the next few weeks and treating me like the I am. I have next to no bleeding, just more like barely spotting. I hope everyone has a recovery that goes as well as mine has so far!!!

Melissa
TVH/BSO 3/3/09
d&c, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy ablations 2000, 2003, 2005
no HRT yet

P.S.-- I think I must have been a lot loopy in my last post because I'm not even sure what I meant to say. OOPS!!
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM

I had RALH and BSO on 3/3. It went well. I went in @5:30 a.m., surgery @7:30 a.m. and was home in my bed my 8:30 p.m. I feel great a little sore and very little gas but I feel like a new woman. Thank God that is over. I hope everyone is recovering like me. My DH loves telling me what I can't do but I still love him. My kids are awesome. I never knew they could be so helpful.
Exploratory lap. 8/90
D&C 11/90
Laparascopy 1/91
Laparascopy 8/95
partial tubal ligation 5/97
endometral ablation 7/9
RALH with BSO 3/3/09!!!
Unread 03-05-2009, 02:15 PM
feeling better than expected

I had my surgery Monday morning during a snow blizzard. She (doc) said the surgery was picture perfect. I had some trouble getting my bladder working again within the first 24 hours, so had to get 2 caths during that time. The nurses were terrific with me and very compassionate about the process. I am home now and virtually off of all pain meds - not to prove anything because I would certainly take them if I needed them. However, I really don't. I can't believe it! There is virtually no bleeding or pain at this point (day 3). I followed lots of advice and walked 2-4 miles each day leading up to surgery and did some core strenthening exercises so my body would be healthy going in. I'm sure that was good advice. I do still tire easily and have some muscle tics that I was told is from the anesthesia... overall doing very well. I hope my other sisters are having good experiences too. Everyone's experience and timelines will be different I expect, but I love you guys too!!
Unread 03-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Hi, sisters. My TAH was far from normal. I went in for 5:30a. I did not get to the back until 11a. My surgery was fine. It was when I was waking up they discovered that my heart was beating to fast and hard. I was fortunate that they had a cardiologist there. They pushed all kinds of meds into me to get it down. I stayed the night in ICU for the day. I am home now still drugged and out if it. I now am a heart patient. I will update when I get a chance.
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Home!!

Surgery was Monday morning. I arrived just before the check in nurse. Arrived in pre op and fitted with a beir paw gown and that was attached to a warmer. It was absolutely wonderful.

The nurse asked the questions, doc asked the same questions and then the sleeping doctor came and asked more questions. He explained my options and once a decision was made a kiss for the DH and off to surgery. I opted for the combo of general and spinal. In recovery and waking up by 10:00 am. Off to the room by 11 am. Pain was minimal until the next morning. Sleeping was limited to about an hour at a time.

The next morning off to have some tests run in radiology and then able to have clear liquid diet and done with the cath. I was able to do some walking that afternoon and by this time I am only on motrin and vicodin. One more night in the hospital and on to solid foods in the morning. More walking and talking with the nurses who I must say were absolutely wonderful.

I arrived home at about 7:00 pm last night and I am resting comfortably at home. DH has been absolutely fantastic. He comes in handy when you don't have a bed rail to help you turn over and get out of bed.

I know I have to keep taking things easy for awhile and look forward to moving a little each day.

Thank you to everyone!
Unread 03-06-2009, 08:33 AM

I had my TAH on Monday morning. I was booked for 11:00, but went into OR at 10:15 am. Woke up in recovery room at 12:20pm. No sore throat!! The anaesthesiologist was a doll! He was so good to me. No nausea, no dizziness. A minor victory. However, the pain that I had was excruciating. The nurse asked where my pain level was and I said a 9. She gave me shot of morphine, but it did nothing for the pain. I was in recovery room for almost an hour. Returned to room, and DH was there waiting for me. The nurses were very good, at first. Gave me morphine every 3 hours, but since it was not touching the pain, the called the doctor that evening, and had it changed to Demerol. That finally started to knock down the pain. DH kept telling me to sleep, but the pains were so bad, I couldn't sleep. Finally got a little after the Demerol. However, the second shot of Demerol made me sick to my stomach. So, they switched me to Percocet Demi's. Two pills would last 2.5-3 hours, but not the 4 hours that the doctor had prescribed them for. My night nurse was a doll, and gave them to me every 3 hours instead. Finally got some sleep. Catheter came out Tuesday morning, and I was up moving, but in alot of pain. Had to go to bathroom every half hour, or so, because of IV fluids, which caused alot of pain. Even voiding was painful, as bladder was so swollen. The IV was ordered out, but because I was having so many problems with pain, the nurses put in a hep lock. My incision goes vertically from hairline to belly button. My swellybelly is huge. Looks like I swallowed a basketball--literally!! Even now at home, I have to use both hands to support it when I am up walking. I go back Saturday to have the staples (all 20 of them) removed. Although the pain is easing some since I have been home, I am very sore. Even the muscles up under my ribcage are hurting, as if I had done 1000 situps!! The nurses gave me blood thinners every day in hospital. Not sure if that is a common thing? I haven't heard of it before here on the pre-op threads.
Doctor said that he was able to leave both ovaries, as they looked very good. Took the cervix, which we agreed to beforehand, and took the uterus, which he called "huge". I have had issues with endo in the past, and pre-op he had told me that he would be on the lookout for it when he was in there. I haven't asked about that. I don't need anything else right now that will affect my rattled brain, to make the pain seem worse than it is.
Had a small BM in hospital, as they gave me a suppository on Wednesday. Since then, have been eating my "Breakfast A-Go-Go" granola, and my SIL was a dear, and sent me a fruit bouquet, which I have been nibbling on. I hve very little appetite, but trying to keep eating lots of fibre. Lots of gas rumbling, but no BM yet since being home.
Sorry to be so long. I wish I could say that mine was a typical textbook surgery, but it doesn't appear to have been so. Makes having the surgery all the more frustrating. I had no pains going into the surgery, and it almost seems unfair to have had to have the surgery to begin with. However, with the fibroids the size that they were, it seems inevitable that I would have developed pain at some point in future.
I am hoping my sisters have a far better experience, and are very happy with their choice!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register