LAVH, Scared about recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH, Scared about recovery time LAVH, Scared about recovery time

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
LAVH, Scared about recovery time

I'm new here and have a LAVH scheduled in 3 weeks. I am also having my right overy and fallopian tube removed. My GYN told me she was back to work in less than a week, but everything I read here sounds like that is a pipe dream. I'm scared about all the pain and side effects I'm reading here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2009, 12:50 AM

From everything I know one week recovery is out of the question. I haven't been through it yet but lots of ladies here have and they can tell you. Try the post-op boards, though to be honest I get scared reading them sometimes! Just remember that people are more likely to write for support if something is wrong. I think one month is the average recovery time from that particular procedure.
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:02 AM

from what ive seen on the board, a vaginal hysterectomy is a 4-6 week recovery (with no complications). the lsh has the shortest recovery time for the most part because its done laparoscopically and the cervix is left in place. you will have your cervix removed with a vaginal hysterectomy and you have to let that area heal right. maybe your dr had the lsh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2009, 07:10 AM

While the LAVH is a less invasive hysterectomy than some, a week only for recover seems rather short to me. Each person is different and heals differently, so my advice is to listen to your own body and allow yourself the time that you need. 4-6 weeks does seem to be the norm.

I'd would discuss all your concerns with your dr. Together you should be able to decide how best to handle the post-op pain. I found that staying ahead of the pain worked best for me. I took my meds before the pain got really bad.

Unread 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM

I had a LAVH/BSO and I was back to work at two weeks. I was cleared for all activity then by my Doctor, good luck to you and listen to your body it will let you know if you are doing too much. Barb
Unread 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

I didn't have any complications & I would say around 10 weeks I started feeling pretty good. The 4 to 6 weeks is very reasonable. I don't think even in 2 weeks you will feel fine. You may be doing well but you do need to let all the internal stitches heal & that just takes time. Good idea to read the post op boards & get an idea. Best wishes.
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Wow, one week, that sounds way too fast.
I had a vaginal with lots of repairs and a bladder sling. I told my that I wanted him to write me out for 10 weeks, he had a good laugh and said that at 6 I would be ready to go back.
I am at 4 weeks now and he is right, I am feeling great but, I am taking the other 2 weeks to be fully ready.
I have had a storybook recovery but I would never have been able to go back that soon, I just didn't have the
energy.
Good luck with your surgery and be ready to take the time you need to heal properly and get good and strong so your body needs to only do one thing at a time.
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

There is no way I would have been able to go back to work at one week and I've had a pretty smooth recovery period. I thought I would be able to go back at two weeks and my doctor said no four weeks. I am approaching the three week mark and glad that I still have some time. I feel pretty well but if I do too much I still get really tired. Went out for a little while last Thursday, Friday, Saturday and then went into work for a 1/2 hour on Sunday to do something for my boss (I wanted it done the right way LOL! He's a man.) Sunday after noon it hit me and I was wiped out. Had some red spotting on Monday for the first time since just after my surgery so guess my body was telling me to slow down. If you can take the time off, take it. You only have one time to heal the right way. Good Luck and hope all goes well.
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Just from reading these posts you can see that everyone is different! I had my LAVH one month ago today and I have to say I almost feel like a fraud still being home from work. Not to diminish the stories of women who are having more difficult recoveries, but fortunately I seem to have breezed through. Needed minimal pain meds in the hospital and the first few days at home. I'm still spotting daily but haven't had any pain at all. Never had a "swelly belly" and only minor gas pains on day 2. Maybe I have a high tolerence for pain??? I do find myself a little tired after a trip to the grocery store, but that's about it. I go for my post-op check-up tomorrow and will probably be back to work Monday. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM

I am three weeks (LAVH) post-op today. I only had a very small discharge the first few days. Was off pain meds by the end of the first week.

I just returned to work for 1/2 days and wish I could have stayed home one more week.

I had a friend that said she had surgery on a Tuesday and sat in a one-hour class on Thursday. I could not have done that! She said she didn't go back to work until 3 weeks.

Don't be scared, just trust your body. It will let you know. My pain level was really mild even while I was in the hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register