when to start hormones after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when to start hormones after surgery? when to start hormones after surgery?

Unread 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
when to start hormones after surgery?

when to start hormones.. having a hysterectomy with ovaries out, DR. said he will start me one month after surgery. Is that normal? I thought they would start in hospital.

47 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Hi! to HysterSisters!

Did your doctor say why you wouldn't start on hormones until a month post-op? There's no one set way it's done. My doctor had me start on estrogen the day following my surgery and that worked out well for me. Other women prefer not to start hormones right away, holding off until they start experiencing symptoms, which can be anywhere from immediately until weeks or months later!

Let your doctor know you're concerned about this and find out if it's possible for you to start on hormones sooner, if that's what you prefer. Of course if there's a chance you can keep your ovaries, that would be best of all.

Best wishes to you!

s
Unread 03-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Hi Lillac! I had LAVH, BSO 3 days ago. I was given an estrogen patch in the hospital and a presciption for them for two weeks. I will go to the DR in two weeks and he said that he will then put me on pellet hormone therapy. He said that the estrogen patches will help him to determine what level of hormone therapy that I need.
I do have friends that were not given a thing after surgery, as well. During all of this, it has been amazing to hear the differences in what everybody is given, hormone wise. I guess I had always thought that all women were pretty much given the same type of therapy afterwards. I was very wrong.
I am also very curious to hear what others are taking, if anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi Lilac,

Every lady I know that had a ratical hysterectomy was put on hormones the day after the surgery. Each lady told me that the hotflashes hit them the day after surgery and they were horrible. I would talk to your doctor and ask him why and could you make that choice about when you want to start hormones.
Unread 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM

I just had my pre-op with my Dr. and she gave me estro-gel to start the day after surgery. It is a bio-identical estrogen.
I have read that if you have your ovaries removed during the hysterectomy you can hit the menopause wall right after surgery and will need estrogen, so maybe ask your doctor about it?
I am having a TAH with ovary and tubes removed.
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:39 PM

my doctor said that due to possible blood clots after surgery he starts the hormones one month after surgery. this way if blood does clot he can see if it is from the hormones and not the surgery... I am confused.
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM

After speaking to several of my girlfriends and learning more of their experiences, as well as my own, the "blood clot thing" just doesn't sound right. Do you or your family members have a history of blood clots or anything related?
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

No blood clot history.. I think my DR may be too cautious...
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM

My doctor prescribed estridol for me to start taking the first night of my surgery. I was having blood pressure problems so I opted not to take them because I was concerned they could affect my blood pressure. I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and still not taking them. I have had night sweats but I've been dealing with that for two years. They are a little more intense but I have been able to live with them. Will see how things progress. If they get bad enough I'll start the HRT.
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Hi Lilac,

I had my surgery TAH/BSO 12-15-08 and am 48. My doctor didn't prescribe anything for me until a month later when I asked about the hot flashes as they took their time coming with me and weren't really bad yet, but it was very hard to sleep at night. He had me try Evamist - a spray. (Its a bio-identical and doesnt go through the liver.) He also told me that some estrogen is stored in our fat. (I tend to be on the fluffy side) That was why it took longer for me to be effected than it might be for thinner women. I am trying it for now. After surgery, I then got the flu & strep, so it seemed like a good idea for a better nights actual sleep without also enduring hot flashes too. One less misery to endure at the same time seemed wise. I also dont want to be on it for a long time and my heart doctor agreed it was ok for a time. Everyone is different, and dont be afraid to ask the doc why if you have questions. (Write them down first so you dont forget. )

~ LilacLeo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register