Fistula -----hole in bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fistula -----hole in bladder Fistula -----hole in bladder

Unread 08-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Fistula -----hole in bladder

I was referred to this forum by other ladies when I developed complications after my hyst. On day 11 post-op I began leaking urine through my vagina. I have had a few tests and the urologist found a hole in my bladder between my ureters. At first he thought it was a fistula, but then inidcated that it may just be a puncture that didn't show up right away because of post-op swelling.

THe short of all of this is that I return to the castle on Tuesday, August 28th to have the damage repaired. I have read the archived posts on this topic and am very afraid that this will not be the end to my problems.

Any feedback or additional information would be much appreciated.

Phyllis B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2001, 07:00 AM
Good luck...

You'll be in my prayers. Is a urologist performing your surgery?
Unread 08-27-2001, 11:43 AM

Phyllis,

Hi--- I had a fistula repair 7-2000. I am revisiting this site only because I hear there are a few women looking for some support and answers regarding fistulas.

I am doing great, I have not been this healthly in my life. I sure learned a new appreciation to take care of my body, mind and spirit. I was terrified the repair surgery would not work the first time. But then I realized, I had no control of any it. My job was to eat right and rest and not to worry. I believe worry only slows down the healing process. I was prepared mentally for the worst, and prayed for the best outcome.

Just ask your surgeon questions, find out how many of these surgeries he has performed and what the outcomes have been. He should have a 90% success rate, if not, find someone else. The first doctor in has the best chance to fix this, the second time in your odds will drop for having a full recovery. I was very fortunate to have a very honest Urologist who diagnosed my fistula very quickly, and he admitted to only have done 3 repairs with 100% success rate. He gave me the option of being referred to the most experienced Doctor with fistula repairs in the state. i took the referral!!

What type of surgery are they doing? Will you have a cath of some time after the repair?

Good Luck to you and my prayers are with you for a full recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2001, 09:17 PM

Yes, a urologist is doing the surgery. My gyn referred me to his partner who wanted to "wait and see". However, the partner referred me to this doc because he has more experience with fistulas. I didn't ask how much experience. He said that he prefers abdominal vs. vaginal surgery because the success rate is higher. He also said that he places more layers of sutures than most docs to insure success. He only told my DH that I will have a catheter for 2 weeks.

I was supposed to return to classes today (I'm in my last year of college, working toward my teaching degree) and am pretty bummed out about having to wait. However, I do NOT have weeks to sit around either. I hope to return to classes in 2 weeks. My schedule is such that I go to school for a couple hours then have eithr a 2 1/2 or 4 hour break, depending upon the day, before I have to return for another couple hours. I also am exploring the acquisition of a handicap parking sticker for 4 weeks after my return. The campus is very LARGE and handicapped lots are outside of most buildings, limiting my walking. I know that I am pushing myself, but I cannot afford academically or financially to sit out an entire year (which is my only alternative). Professors and classmates have both been very receptive and generous about my plight (and who said college kids were self-centered????).

Thanks for your wishes and support. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow. My 2 biggest fears are that we will encounter another complication, or the procedure will not be a success. I am sure that I will deal with whatever may come with the support of this forum.

Thanks!
Phyllis B.
Unread 08-28-2001, 02:15 PM

Phyllis,

I have experienced my fair share of bladder troubles, but not this specific problem that you are dealing with. I just wanted to send my very best wishes to you. You are already gone to the hospital to have your repair work done, but wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you feel up to it. And please remember to not push yourself to far. You only have ONE chance to heal right, and you don't want to mess that up and wind up needing more surgery later.

s to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register