Advice for Dog Owners? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice for Dog Owners? Advice for Dog Owners?

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I'm 41 and will have a hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries) at the end of the month. I have four elderly dogs, each with their own special needs. I really don't want them to be boarded for weeks on end. I will have assistance during the first week and at nights. I just want to know if anyone out there dealt with doggies during recovery -- what sorts of things did you NOT anticipate (for example, having them jump all over you, so you had to put them on the floor), etc... Any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I have three elderly dogs with special needs as well. Fortunately, I have a dh and a ds at home. My dogs are too old to jump much. The only thing I could not do for them was rinse and refill their water dish a couple times a day. After a week or so I was doing it myself. I just wouldn't fill it as much each time. I was able to let them out (have a fenced yard, so I don't have to walk them) and feed and medicate them right away. Honestly, I felt much better than I anticipated, and was able to be more mobile than I had planned. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I am pre op still, and I have concerns with this as well. I have a 7 month old Great Dane who has energy coming out of every orphace! She goes on tirades running and jumping through the house. Her "seat" is wherever my lap is and she loves to run and jump onto the couches. She has, many times, ran and jumped on the couch, tipping it over with me on it. I am very concerned as to how I will care for her and how I will keep her from jumping on me.

Even though she looks HUGE and intimidating, she is still very much a baby. She is scared of everything (!) so keeping her outside is only an option if I want to listen to her cry constantly. Everyone I know has small animals, and even though Delmi (my dog) would be more scared of them than they of her, people are afraid to keep her for me. Boarding her is not an option. When she had to stay the night at the vet for an infection, he called me in the middle of the night to come get her because she kept crying and she learned to open the kennels within a few hours. Not only did she let herself out, but others as well. Haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Canine companions

I have a large Chesapeake Bay retriever with endless energy! Just 9 days post-op I am frustrated by not being able to walk her or play in the yard with her. She obsesses over fetch toys and has got so sulky with me when I have refused to throw her toy. She even ignored me calling her indoors a few nights ago. She laid on the lawn just looking at me. My hubby had to get her inside. He says he doesn't have time to walk her or play with her - he is not a dog-lover!

Today I advertized for an energetic teenager to come play with her for an hour each afternoon. i hope this will improve her mood until 'Mom' is fit again!

As for dogs jumping on laps - keep a large soft pillow on your lap at all times. This is a good time to teach big dogs some self-control!

Good luck,
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

Hi Ladies,

I don't have dogs at this time, in the past I've had a couple of Samoyed's and then a Maltese, but now I have 3 cats (2 large adults and 1 4 month old kitten) and of course, twin girls who are 5 years old. Just want to say, protect your belly at all times, I slept with a pillow or a plush folded blanket over my tummy, even if just napping on the sofa, and for the first week I carried a special bear in front of me (he has a rigid support built in to him). It is not only shocking when an animal or child jumps on your tummy, but it can be downright painful, and God forbid it cause you harm. Ya'll have some big doggies, so please do take care and protect your tender bellies. ((((HUGS)))) and best wishes for your surgeries!
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I have 4 dogs. 120lb german shepard, 85 lb german shepard, golden retriever and a beagle. The beagle was the only one I really had to worry about jumping on me. So I kept my tummy protector on me at all times. I was lucky and my surgery happened over winter break from school. So my 3 teenage DD's were here to help with them. When they went back I was able to let them out, feed and water them. I was 2 weeks into my recovery at that point. You may be surprised- my babies seemed to sense that mom wasn't feeling well and would just come up to give kisses and such. They would just sit and stare at me. LOL. All in all it wasn't too bad.
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I have a yellow lab who weighs about 5 lbs less then I do. I was afraid she would flip out playing and hurt me too but ya know what, she didn't! It was the strangest thing...when I came home from the hospital she had that tail just a waggin, but when I walked up to her she kinda shy'd a bit. She came to see me in the bed everyday, but never tried to jump up on it. Soooo not like her. I really think she knew something was up. Funny how animals sense things.

If you are real concerned, you might be able to find a baby gate at a resale store for cheep. That way you can put it at the bedroom door to keep them at bay for the first few days until you can see how they react and how your feeling.

Good luck,
Unread 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Advice for Dog Owners?

Hi, My dog jumped on my stomach after the second day home it hurt and I cried she has been really good since that .. My dog is 11 months old and a spaz I have to let her out during the day and she is pulling me which hurts .I have a very long leash and I step on part of it and she is able to do her business that has really helped me . I wish you the best of luck with surgery . THe first week home I did have a pillow over my stomach at all times after that incident .
Unread 03-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Advice for Dog Owners?

I have a 7 month-old lab/rottie mix, who we adopted in November. She is a total nut, and she missed me like crazy when I was in the hospital. Honestly, her jumping on me was my biggest fear of coming home from the hospital.

She was in her crate when we came home, and I immediately sat on the couch and covered my abdomen with a thick, folded blanket for protection. She came out of her crate running, but we kept telling her 'down!', and she stayed down (amazingly).

After a few minutes of reaquaintance, she has been great. I am positive she knows something is not right with me, and she has been very gentle. I often hold my hand up in a 'stop' gesture, and she chills out.

All in all, she has been really great, and it feels good when she snuggles up by my legs when I am laying on the couch. I think she's added something positive to my recovery, rather than presenting a problem.
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Advice for Dog Owners?

Thanks to everyone who's written here. I have actually wondered the same thing. I have 3 dogs. But it's the youngest, a 5 month old Chihuahua puppy I am worried about. Granted he doesn't weigh a whole lot, but he's a total momma's boy. Every night he has to snuggle up with me on the couch before he'll go to sleep at night. I worry a lot about how he's going to deal with not being able to jump all over mom.

I'll have to try the pillow suggestion so hopefully if he starts to get all bouncy I can protect myself. Of course if I really wanted to keep him away I could just take away his step he needs to get on the couch. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register