Fear of Death During Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of Death During Surgery Fear of Death During Surgery

Unread 03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Fear of Death During Surgery

I'm fairly new to the site and I was reading about how many women have come close to dying during surgery. I too am starting to worry and get the "death" fears that I hear so many women get. Two out of the three out patient surgeries I have had have turned into inpatient because I came out of anasthesia in seizures. I am finding peace in God, but still...those fears are real and the posts I keep reading, about mishaps in the surgery room are scary. Was just wondering if anyone else had those fears going into surgery???? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM

I was terrified before going in for my surgery. I think most of us are. I got my will in order & said the things I needed to say "just in case". I, like most of the others, came out of it just fine. Best wishes!
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM

I definitely thought about it, and with your history, you should be concerned. Be sure to discuss everything with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

At the same time, try to keep it in perspective. This is the second most common surgery for women, and the mortality rate is very, very low. Having trust in the people who are doing your procedure is paramount. If you trust them, then you need to find a place where you can 'let it go' and let them do their jobs. Finding this place made me ready for my surgery.

All my best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM

I am right there with you. I go for my pre-op tomorrow and surgery on friday. I am scared to death. I also have a fear of dying during or after surgery. All I have been doing is worringand praying. I know I am driving my husband crazy because of my fears. But I guess its just human nature. Actually I think the closer the surgery date gets here the more scared I get. I've got where I can't even get a goodnight's sleep anymore because I am so worried and scared. So just wanted to tell you that I know exactly what your going through. Just pray.
GOD BLESS
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Isn't there something they can do that does not require putting you out completely? I thought I read somewhere on this site that some of the ladies have just been givin something to make them totally relaxed, but still awake during the procedure.

I think everyone has this fear!!
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Same here! I thought maybe I was over reacting. My date is 4/15. I have days when I am fine, settled, and ready. Then I have days when I cry at the drop of a hat. I haven't gotten the will thing taken care of, and I am trying to get my strenght to really "talk" to my husband about "just in case". I never thought I would be faceing something like this. It all seems so sureal. I found a statistic that I try to remember...only 1% of patients die from this surgury (a brochure from the dr. office). It makes me feel better to think about the 99% sucess rate!

Chin up! We'll get through this!
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:38 AM

One thing that helped me talk to my DH about it was the Advance Directives form the hospital provided. I have definite opinions about what I want if something went terribly wrong, and I wanted it on paper (haven't really felt I needed one before).

The reality is that we have a higher chance of injury or death on a major highway on a holiday weekend. Keep that 99% positive rate utmost in your mind if you can.
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM

I agree, I think all the hype is just that very low percent we hear about that doesn't wake up. But we need to keep in mind that we could die walking out of our front door for any number of reasons at any given moment!!

Try to think positive, I am just trying to think how wonderful it'll be not to have horrible periods and terrible cramps in the years to come
Unread 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Well at least now I don't feel like I'm being silly. Just like Luleebelle, most of the time I'm just fine with it all, but then out of the blue I start worrying.

Just this morning on my drive into work I started thinking about "What if?" Then I started thinking about who I need to talk to and how freaked out they will be.

I think today is just one of those Bad days. I'll talk to my DH this evening and make sure he knows my wishes for "What if" and then my Mom. I won't be talking about my fears to my daughters, that would probably be just too much for them.

It really does help having this forum.

Thanks everyone!
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM

We all have those fears prior to surgery and it does come and go. There some princesses on this site that have had complications during or after surgery, however, there are some princesses that have come through surgery little to no complications.

I suggest you speak to your doctor about your concerns of surgery and keep in mind they have to tell you about all of the possible problems of the surgery just so you are informed.

Good luck to you all with your trips to the castle!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register