Vaginal Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy Vaginal Hysterectomy

Unread 08-27-2001, 11:40 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

I am new, am considering a vaginal hysterectomy for a uterine fibroid which has enlarged my uterus, caused pressure on my bladder (frequent urination), and has begun to decrease my thyroid function. My uterus is the size of a 11 week pregnancy and I am told if allowed to grow will result in TAH instead of the Vag/Hyst. While making the decision, friends have told me I should check into this site and gain some "insight"!! Are there any vag/hyst post op patients out there who can report that the surgery was successful in relieving the frequent urination. I may look into Lap or cautery to just deal with the fibroid. I am worried about reports I am reading, particularly regarding the way the vaginal will be closed and the implications there as well as the fact that the uterus give off a hormone during sex that facilitates climax... anyway just trying to know what I am getting myself into. Just don't want to exchange one set of problems for another. Deborah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi Deborah!

I had a TVH four weeks ago. My uterus was the size of a 15 week pregnancy by the time I got in to surgery. I was lucky the doc still took it vaginally. A lot of docs give up and go abdominal when it gets that big.

I wish I could say it's totally taken care of the frequent urination, but so far it really hasn't completely solved that problem. Of course, things are still swollen in there as I'm only four weeks post-op. I'm still holding out hope that someday I'll be able to ignore my bladder for more than an hour or two....of course an hour or two is better than the 30 minutes to an hour that it was just before surgery!

I looked into myomectomy instead of hysterectomy, but my fibroids were too plentiful and growing too quickly, so because I'm 41, my doctor advised a hysterectomy. That's the only 100% cure for fibroids.

There are some great sites on the internet that talk about treatment for uterine fibroids. I'd give you the URLs, but I deleted them out of my bookmarked sites yesterday. SORRY!!!!

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Unread 08-27-2001, 01:34 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi Deborah!

I had an abdominal hsyterectomy a year ago due to a VERY large fibroid. Before my surgery, I also had to urinate very frequently.

The first few weeks after surgery, I still had to urinate quite often, but I think that was due to all the swelling. After a month or so, it went away, I no longer feel an urge to urinate more frequently than is normal, and I feel great! I am back to normal (as normal as I ever was, anyway )

As far as sex, there are many differing opinions on the affect of this surgery on our sex lives. It affects many of us in different ways. In my case, at least, I can report that sex is GREAT, and neither my husband nor I can tell any difference at all.

This is definitely a MAJOR surgery, and I strongly urge you to fully research all your options, and to discuss them with your doctor. You may even want to get a second opinion to make sure you are doing the right thing.

Please let us know what you decide, and how you're doing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register