Who is this woman I have become? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who is this woman I have become? Who is this woman I have become?

Unread 03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Who is this woman I have become?

Hi ladies. I had my surgery on March 3. I had a TAH kept ovaries. I am 28 years old. My recovery has been easy going. I suffered in pain for the first week and a half. Today I have made the 3 week mark. After my surgery they found out that I have a problem with my heart. It is beating to fast. I take meds to keep it down now. I will see my new cardiologist in a couple of weeks.
I will have my post op next week.
I have noticed that my temper is way out of check. As well as mood swings. I am having hot flashes and horrible night sweats. It is to the point I have to take 2 showers a day. There are times when the hot flashes make me look like I have been swimming due to the fact my hair is that wet. I am worried that because of my tubes being tied that my ovaries are not working like they gave up. I do not like being this person. I already take Paxil and Dioxepin for anxiety and depression. There are times I feel like I was before being placed on these meds.
I am not sure if I can even take HRT due to the fact of my heart.
Has anyone else felt like this? And if so what did you do about it?
I feel like surrendering to whatever is making me like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM

My heart beat fast after surgery but went back to normal after I was off the morphine. I have not had the menopausal symptoms...I had TAH/BSO and was started on ERT the morning after surgery. I have read a lot from women who kept their ovaries have some serious hot flashes and hopefully one of them will be able to give you some advice.
Unread 03-24-2009, 11:20 PM

You're gonna just have to give it some time. Alot of times our ovaries freeze up after surgery. So it takes some time for them to work again. I'm not so emotional anymore and the night sweats are gone. But those dang hot flashes are the worst!!! I go out and my hair gets soaked! So embarressing. If you don't improve by your 6 week visit you can ask your doctor to check your hormone levels. I think sometimes temporary hormones are needed. But just hang in there girl! It WILL get better!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2009, 08:31 AM

ahhh... dang. sorry to hear you are feeling so ... yuck. just remember that your body has just went through extreme shock. i thought i would never see the light at the end of the tunnel, but i kept searching... and with the help of sisters in here, i found it!! it was still a far reach, but holding onto hope and with the support of other women that experience this, i survived.

i know it seems like you are trapped in someone else's body, but you will slowly resume to being "yourself" (at least close) again eventually. slow down and give your body time to adjust. thats really the best advice i can give... and of course, come find us when all else fails!!

hugs... and take care my dear.
Unread 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks ladies. The thing with my heart is that for several other Dr appointments it was up also. But we always dismissed it. My DH said that they were listening to a heart mumer while I was in recovery. I guess it is just with my body going into shock along with being told that my heart is having issues, I guess I just feel moody.
I am also trying to "rush" things to get to feeling better. I have 2 kids and I also help tend to my mother and grandmother who both have health issues. I am an only child so there is no one else to help with my mom and grandmother.
I am going to address these issues with my Dr next week and see if we can come up with an answer to this.
Again thanks ladies. I know if no one else can help I can always come here. There is a unique bond that is made and felt on this website.
Unread 03-25-2009, 03:21 PM

You have quite a bit on your plate and I am sure that the added stress is not helping with your recovery. I remember warning my family to stay clear of me or I was bound to snap. Our bodies have gone through so much and really needs time to heal. When I first went back to work after 6 weeks I realized how screwed up my emotions were, and that I really needed to slow down and take care of myself.

Hang in there, ask for help from other family members (cousins, aunts, etc.) or close friends. If there is anything I learned from this experience it is to never be too proud to ask for help.

Good luck and best wishes to a speedy recover, but remember to rest and pamper your self.
Unread 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM

+1 on time and recovery. I had a horrible emotion roller coaster ride from week 4 until 3 months post-op. Then I realized part of it was the environment I was in and the stress it was causing. ANY stress will slow recovery - so I removed mine (ie sent the DH packing). Kids stepped up and the lack of stress in the house from the DH made life much easier - just not worrying if/when his next temper tantrum was going to happen. Time and rest are the cure. Pamper yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register