??? About private room | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

??? About private room ??? About private room

Unread 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
??? About private room

Until recently I never thought about not having a private room... I just assumed that I would have one. So recently I was reading a thread that made me think about it. So I did some research on the hospital I am going to go to. Well I couldn't find that how many double rooms that they had but I did find out that a lot of wealthy people go to this hospital. So for $200 a night I could have a private suite, special treatment from doctors, and a suite that was compared to a 5 star hotel and a chef that cooks food to order for me and 1 guest. But I don't need all that I just want my own room. But my question is how many people had private rooms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Re: ??? About private room

Orangekitten,

Get the private room, no matter the cost. I did not have a private room, I just assumed they were all private rooms and it was only when I woke up that I discovered a roommate. I had complications and had trouble with my bowels on top of that, so they gave me milk of magnesia. It was totally humiliating when that stuff kicked in and my roommate is in her bed with guests and only a curtain to separate us. My doctor was also furious that they did not put me in a private room, because my roommate had people coming in constantly to visit. I did finally after 3 days get a private room thanks my doctor. Hope this helps with your decision. Take care
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

I have never had a hospital even question whether I would have a private room or not. I have had a suite. My insurance covers my room no matter the size, etc. I am so thankful for that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM

My hospital has converted to all private rooms, so that wasn't an issue for me. I got little enough rest with the nurses coming in and the blood pressure cuff and the leg compressors, and I was grateful to be able to sleep and have quiet when I needed it. That would have been worth paying for, although I did just fine without a chef or guest bed.
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:30 PM

I didn't even think about what type of room I would have had, this was the first time I was ever in the hospital as my children were adopted. I did have a private room, but, the funny thing is it was in the pediatric department. Apparently, when the surgical unit gets full they put the overfull of surgical patients in the pediatric area. This didn't bother me tho, there wasn't alot of patients in that area and I didn't mind being near the kids. I was there 2 nights and didn't have any problems. I did have one nurse that was rather rude, and pushing me to do more than I could do, but, luckily that was just a few hours one day and she wasn't back. Several of my nurses were actually OB nurses, so things were different for them having me there too.

Amy
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM

I am definitely in favor of a private room. The hospital I was in places gyn patients on the OB wing. It was very nice and private. I had some trouble peeing after the surgery and it was nice to be able to sit in the bathroom and try to pee as long as I felt the need knowing there was no on else in the room.
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:57 PM

My room was private, and I really appreciated it.

My hospital puts gyn surgery patients on the same floor with the OB ladies and sick children. I suppose if things were really busy, I may have had a roommate, but the area I was in was relatively empty. They told me this is usually the case beforehand, so I didn't have to make any special arrangements nor pay extra for the valuable privacy.
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM

I paid like $20 extra per day for a private room. Based on experiences w/ parents and MIL and FIL I would always say get a private room.
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM

A private room is definitely worth it. After the nurses inquire 27 times whether or not you have passed gas yet, it's great to be alone.

I didn't even ask if it cost extra. Appears it is only $70 more total for the 3 days I was in.
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:10 AM

My hospital converted to all private rooms much to my delight. Due to HIPPA laws. I think I would of paid the extra to have a private room if they hadn't done this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register