Cervical Cancer: Cervical cancer recurrence | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical cancer recurrence Cervical cancer recurrence

Unread 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Cervical cancer recurrence

I was diagnosed with stage IIB adenocarcinoma in April 2005 and received chemoradiation and brachytherapy after having and ovarian transposition and lymphectomy.
After it taking a while, I was in remission until last week when I was told that the cancer had returned. Thankfully it's only a local recurrence and I have got a rad hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oopherectomy planned in on 22nd April.

Has anyone got any advice about having a hysterectomy after all my previous treatment? The doctor has warned me that there could be quite a number of side effects and risks but would like to hear from anyone who has a similar experience.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Re: Cervical cancer recurrence

Hi there, I am new here also. And I am just at the beginning of all of this. I just wanted to let you know that this site seems to be wonderful, there is lots of information here and I am sure someone will be able to give you some wisedom. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Roma,
Sorry to hear that you are having a recurrence. As a survivor of this beast, it scares me to think that I might still have a recurrence. Would you mind telling us how your recurrence was discovered?

I know next to nothing about a hysterectomy after radiation and chemo, but I would imagine that our scar tissue would make it a more difficult surgery. I am glad to hear that they can do a radical hysterectomy without having to do a pelvic extenuation (sp?) surgery.

I hope that there is someone here who has shared your experience and will be along soon.

Hugs of comfort,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Hi Roma,

I don't have any advice for you, just want you to know that I am sorry to hear you have had this happen and I pray all goes well for you.

((((HUGS))))
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:28 AM

Hi Roma - I'm so sorry to hear it's come back, but I'm glad to hear they think they can get it all with the hysterectomy. What did your gyn/onc tell you when you asked this question?

I wish I could give you some insights, but this is not my experience, so I can't. I'd be interested in hearing the answer after you find it. Good luck with the surgery!!!
Unread 04-03-2009, 03:27 AM

Hi,

The docs said they can't know for sure until the op if they need to take anything else but shouldn't have to as all the scans and UEA and lap point to only being on the cervix. I scared about that and also the risk of complications that the dr has made me aware of. This is due to the previous treatment I have had.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a rad hyst and BSO after chemo-rad and brachy. What sort of time frame am I looking at for recovery???

Thanks.
Unread 04-04-2009, 12:46 AM

How was your recurrence discovered?
Unread 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM

(((Roma)))

I'm so very sorry you're having to deal with this again. I don't have any experience/info concerning your particular situation (I had my rad/hyst straight out of the gate), but I did want to send some gentle hugs, positive vibes and prayers your way.

Hang in there, sweetie!
monami
Unread 04-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Hi,

I had my 6 month follow up in Jan and they took a smear test. My doctor seemed happy with the visual exam but I did explain that I thought I had a little more bleeding than usual after sex/dilators and clots....but the doc didn't seem worried by this. I even had my appointment given to me to come back in 6 months! Two weeks later I was told that the results of the smear were showing some concern. I went back to have a repeat smear and again this showed the same result. Then I had an MRI which compared to one in 2007 showed changes to the mass and cervix. Then had a lap and EUA and a PET scan. The biopsies from the lap confirmed the presence of the cancer in the cervix and the PET scan appears to be clear of cancer elsewhere.

Doc has said that until he does the op he can't be sure but hopes that it will only be the rad hys and BSO. I'm scared about the op and potential complications. It would have been nice to hear from someone who had gone through the same experience and told me what to expect afterwards. I've been told that I could be off work for 6 months!! I wanted to know am I going to bed/house bound for a lot of this time??
Unread 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

I too was a stage 2b. I had a 'slightly' abnormal pap last time I went to my DR but he repeated it in 3 months after prescribing me vagifem. I went for my repeat pap on monday and it came back NEGATIVE !!! I was told that our hysterectomies would be a more complicated procedure because of scar tissue and possible adhesions to other organs such as the bladder. Glad to hear that your DR has a plan for you but sad to hear of this unfortunate recurrance!! Keep us informed........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register