ovaries or not ovaries, that is the question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries or not ovaries, that is the question ovaries or not ovaries, that is the question

Unread 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
ovaries or not ovaries, that is the question

I was scheduled for a TAH in April and then found out about a doctor that does the daVinci method and will not have to have the huge incision now (which is great). The TAH surgeon was going to "check out my ovaries" and if they needed to be removed, he would. This new surgeon says that due to my age of 51, he would recommend removing them.
Frankly, I'm scared of jumping into menopause and all the issues that go along with it...(bone density, etc)...
The doctor says he will not start me on HRT unless I have issues that require it...
Will my family run away in fear of the looney mom when I get home???
Has anyone had their ovaries out over age 50 and NOT need to take hormones? Honestly, I forget to take my vitamin every day and I'm lucky if I remember once a week!
auggghhhh...decisions decisions. It's much easier to say goodbye to the fibroid filled uterus than make a decision about the ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Re: ovaries or not ovaries, that is the question

I just had my LSH on 3/13/09. I was in same boat, dr. wanted to take my ovaries. I'm also 51. I just couldn't do it. I was not in menopause yet and my FSH was only 3.8. In the end i told her if they looked healthy to please leave them in, and she did. i still have my ovaries and i am in my 3rd week of recovery with no surgical menopause.

LSH 3/13/09 for painful fibroid, adenomyosis and failed endometrial ablation
kept ovaries and crevix
age51
Unread 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM

if your ovaries are healthy, you should seriously consider keeping them. why remove anything thats healthy? theres no reason to go into surgical menopause. even after natural menopause, your ovaries still provide you with small amounts of hormones. i had the lsh and kept both ovaries and feel fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM

I kept my ovaries for the same reasons - to save going into menopause at 33, but they failed soon afterwards. I ended up needing to use estrogen within 3 years of the surgery. They sputtered on and off from then on until I had them removed 9 years afterwards. Was off and on estrogen as levels fluctuated.

They say about 1/3 of those who leave their ovaries with hysterectomy have reduced ovarian function afterwards, and up to 60% go into menopause within 3 years. This is of course if you are not already menopausal.

It's a purely personal decision you should make.
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM

I agree with keeping healthy ovaries when possible. I had to have mine removed with my hyst at age 54 and a couple of years menopausal. I was started on hrt the day after surgery and still had menopausal symptoms until my hrt was adjusted to the right dosage.

It's definately something that you should discuss carefully with your dr and then make the decision that is best for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register