Younger women and HRT. What are you using? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Younger women and HRT. What are you using? Younger women and HRT. What are you using?

Unread 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Younger women and HRT. What are you using?

I am one week post-op today. I am 31 and was on premerin for about 4 days, but the crying and slight depression weren't going anywhere. I just took tonight my second dose of Lybrel. My DR switched me after telling me that I actually need the hormone and benefits of a birth control at my current age. (am i making sense?) I've been blessed in the fact that I've only had a one night round with hot flashes. Before my surgery it was common for me to wake up dripping wet so I figured it would be worse afterwards. The crying is still there. Some of it is just the run of the emotions though I'm sure. Is anyone else taking Lybrel as HRT or any other BC? I'm curious as to who out there at a young age is using HRT and what they are using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Re: Younger women and HRT. What are you using?

Hi Adrienne,

I am not a doctor, but I don't understand why BC would be better than HRT for a woman who doesn't have her ovaries or uterus?

You are still very very early post op. During these first months, your body is going to use up a supply of estrogen which it had stored while you still had your ovaries. While this supply is being depleted, your estrogen levels are going to fluctuate, no matter what kind of estrogen you are using. This will cause hot flashes, along with other symptoms of fluctuation.

The crying is also normal post op, for this surgery. I can remember crying over greeting card commercials!!!! You have just been through a major surgery, and your body needs to adjust to a new source of estrogen, as well as heal. This early in your recovery, your body is still ridding itself of anesthesia and pain meds.

On top of all of this, it takes 6 weeks (after your stored supplies are used up) for us to see the full benefits of any HRT.

If it were me, I would stick with the premarin (or other estrogen) and give it a chance to work. You have so many options for estrogen available. I use a patch that I place on my hip twice a week. Others use creams compounded by pharmacists that they rub into their skin once or twice a day. Still others take pills.

My Doctor was an excellent surgeon, but she admitted her own lack of interest in HRT, and I found another Dr who was more knowledgeable about HRT after surgical menopause. It can take a while to find the right type and dose for each one of us, but it really helps a lot when our Doctor knows all the options and how to use them, or works closely with a compounding pharmacist who can help.

Hopefully some other "younger" women will be along soon to share what they are using.

s,
Kay
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM

I am currently taking estrace 1mg. I don't have alot of the emotional problems but I have never really be an emotional person. I have been on estrace for about 4 weeks and it seems to be working for me. I have hot flashes but only been having mild night sweats. My doctor didn't mention anything about birth control or needing it. I know that estrace is a biological hormone and that it assists with osteo. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2009, 08:22 AM

The way my DR explained it to me is that if I was latter in years then I would only need the small amount of estrogen to get me through. She said that the BC is a bit stronger and its something that she prescribes for her younger patients and has a success with it. She told me that I may go through a few before finding the right one. I also have a big concern with breast cancer risks and hormones and taking them at my age. I had a BTL at 23 and never had to take anything for BC after that so my body hasn't been introduced to any type of hormone in about 10 years. I trust my DR but we all still like to dig a little deeper on our own to form our own educated decisions and I'm just having a hard time finding anything or anyone else on BC for HRT.
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Adrienne,

I use 1 pkg of estrasorb nightly. The typical dosage is to use 2. But, my wanted to keep me on the lowest dose possible. I am 31.

So far, so good.

Unread 04-01-2009, 10:01 AM

Hi Adrienne,
I'm 31 as well, and had my surgery in February. My doc hasn't said anything about BC, but has stated that it takes a while to figure out what ERT is going to work and at what dosage. Right now I'm using Vivelle Dot .1 mg, and a vaginal estrogen cream (.5). Tried Divigel and that just didn't work. Despite the ERT I have occasional hot flashes, and nightly I have sweats. Neither bother me as much as the moodiness which comes and goes without warning. For me, the 2nd and 3rd week after surgery were the worst, emotionally speaking (I'm at week 6 right now). We'll see if the more extreme emotions hit me in the weeks to come. But for now, it's all good. Hang in there. If you decide to go with the BC, would you post? I'd really hope that it works out for you.
Marian
31 years old
TAH BSO
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM

While you are doing your research, you may want to check out this link to the Hormone Quick Reference Guide and this one to Study Finds Breast Cancer Risk Due to Progestins in HRT. The WHI study also showed that using progestins in combination with estrogen increased risk of Heart Attack.

The purpose of progestins in a BC pill is to decrease your risk of endometrial cancers. If you don't have a uterus, why take the risk of using it? If progesterone is needed, it is very easily available in a bio-identical form which doesn't have any risks associated with it, as it is identical to the progesterone your ovaries made.

There is so much to learn here. I'm glad you are taking the time to discover your options.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register