Rectocele surgery failure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele surgery failure Rectocele surgery failure

Unread 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Rectocele surgery failure

I have never done anything like this before so if I mess it up, please forgive!

Last week 3-25-09 I had a posterior repair of a rectocele. Symptoms: protrusion from the vagina, painful sitting, etc. Less than 2 days post-op, my back went out significantly so that I could not walk upright at all and was in great pain. After a weekend of resting I visited the chiropractor who agreed it was WAY out of line and adjusted me. Still lots of pain so rested. Then less than 2 days later (last night), I felt a protrusion in the vaginal area and can feel stitches which I don't believe I could feel before. I fear the surgery has failed and is somehow related to my back problem. I feel worse than I did before the surgery. I need some suggestions or some commiserating or something! Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Re: Rectocele surgery failure

You should have your dr. check but it's normal to feel like it's failed off and on throughout your recovery. I'd have the dr check for peace of mind that's the only way I ever got past feeling "it failed"
Unread 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Thank you for responding. It has been very painful the past couple of days so I plan to see the doctor Monday. I hope things are fine. I appreciate your encouraging word!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Hi thanks for this post. Mine was 7 weeks ago and one day I am sure it has failed (went to the Gyn.) and the next day it feels better, the next day I am certain it has failed etc.
He has seen me twice since the op. once for the post op check and once when I was sure my cystocele was coming back. He said it is fine.
Yesterday I was sure my rectocele was back in a big way. I am terriffied. My friends tell me to relax but it's so difficult. They have no idea how we feel not wanting another surgery and trying to take it easy for months. I just want to run around the block and not leak urine or think my insides will fall out. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. Hang in there and I will too.
Take care
Anne
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Dear Anne100,
Thanks for your reply. I did go to the doctor and he said everything is fine and not to go back to work until I felt ready. I was originally supposed to return today but I felt so tired the past 2 days, I'm putting it off until Monday. Right now everything seems to working fine, but I appreciate your observation that the feeling of "working fine" seems to come and go. I'll try not to panic either! That WAS my first reaction which was why I was on the internet late at night trying to find some answers. My prayers are with you.

Ohayoo
Unread 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM

I just want to tell you that I am now 4 months post op and I still once a day have the "fear of failure" pop in my head. It's SO normal to have that happen. I have had a failed repair in the past so it's even harder to convince myself sometimes that it's all in my head so I run and check with my old finger and a mirror. Then I feel and see no bulges and have peace until the next freak out, lol. Women who have never gone through pelvic organ prolapse DO NOT and WILL NOT understand that panicked feeling about failed repairs. Oh just put it out of your head and live your life they say. Just smile and say thanks for the positive thoughts and I hope you never go through this because then you'd understand how hard it is. For me personally prolapse meant having to almost grieve for the "old me" the one who never had prolapse and never had to worry about lifting restrictions, etc. Just know that women are out there feeling the same way you are and you're not alone. Thankfully we have boards like this to find each other
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks for all your good thoughts! I'll keep them in mind as I get back to my regular life! Prayers to you all! Ohayoo
Unread 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM

thanks krazykatt

I know I feel the same frustration when people tell me to stop worrying about my repairs and just get on and do something and I'll forget about it....they have no idea what we feel like. I have to get another job as my husband left me and all I hear is "get a job and it will take your mind off it.."
8 weeks out and it is on my mind more or less every time I take a step!
Anne
Unread 04-12-2009, 04:48 PM

I just read this thread and am happy to hear that I'm not the only one that is stressing that the surgery has failed. I started leaking again after 2 1/2 weeks and was sure that everything had come undone.

I'm now 3 1/2 weeks and the leaking has stopped, but every time I sneeze or cough or even just let my bladder get too full, I have to quickly check to see if my undies are still dry.
Unread 04-14-2009, 07:17 AM

I sometimes feel wet down there but when I check my underwear are dry. It is very strange...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register