Do I have mesh erosion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I have mesh erosion? Do I have mesh erosion?

Unread 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Do I have mesh erosion?

Hi, I am six months post op and thought finally things were over with. The other day husband said he though he felt
something "scraping" him and when I checked it I felt a sharp point poking into my vagina. No discharge, no pain,
just this sharp point. I think it is at my vaginal cuff because
along the side of it I felt a hard ridge (maybe from the mesh)? I am so bummed that I have to go back to the doctor. Anyone have this symptom and what did the doctor do for it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Re: Do I have mesh erosion?

Peachy1,
We are all so sorry you are having problems. Making a dr. appt is a good start to getting help. From my own experiance it could be that the bands are to tight and they may need to be cut, could be scare tissue that can me disolved seeing a good pysical therapst or it could be mesh erosion. For me the mesh erosion took about a year and half before it was diagnosed. How each felt for me was: The bands being to tight was pain and pulling when sitting ( surgery was needed and it was easy recovery). The scare tissue was the feeling of bumps ( some were sharp points) inside the vagina ( I went back twice for scare tissue) Therapy was once a week for 5 or 6 weeks each time. After the therapy it would burn for a day of two.The mesh erosion was a constant burning that got worse everyday ( Surgery was 6 weeks ago for this. They removed a part that had "looped" up. It was part of the mesh used to fix the vaginal wall from the prolaspe. Surgery was awful and even today pain level is very high). It seems they are a little different for each of us. The important thing is to listen to your body and keep going back if you do not get answers to your pain. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Unread 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Do I have mesh erosion?

Thank you so much for your answer. I am so sorry for
what you have been going through. The doctor said that since my vaginal walls were so thin the edge of the graft used to secure my bladder was poking through. He trimmed it and prescribed more frequent vagifem. If that doesn't work he will do surgery to cut out part of the mesh.
I am very happy with my doctor and hope that the minor procedure works. I was given the choice to have the more major cutting done right there in the office but I decided to give the more conservative approach a try first.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2009, 06:21 AM

I have read posts with interest. Firstly to say, there shouldnt be any complications from mesh insertion. I havent had this done, but was told that you can have tape insertions/or pelvisoft a new substance made from collagen without mesh for pelvic reconstructive surgery, but again it depends on the surgeon perfoming the op. I have heard that mesh is a major cause of pelvic - or vagina pain.
Unread 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM

I had mesh erosion and my husband felt something sharp poking him. I had pain with intercourse and a yellow, sometimes pink discharge. I eventually had to have them mesh removed. It was a posterior Prolift, usually used to fix rectoceles.

I would suggest going to your doctor. Don't be surprised if he/she doesn't find anything wrong. It took a long time and many doctors before I figured out what was wrong. I also had a hard time finding a doctor willing to help me.

The good news is that I am now pain free and my husband is also! I had a sling put in for my stress incontinence made from my own fascia, at the same time as the mesh removal and that has worked beautifully!

Good luck.
Unread 04-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Hi Cheryl, Great news that you had the mesh removed. Yes I agree with you, I had been to many gynaecologists that didnt know what was wrong either. I am scheduled to have a posterior sling repair - without the mesh insertion, but rather than have the polyutherane tape, I was wondering how you had done the fascia support using the tissues from your own fascia? Its was great to hear from someone who has a similar condition.
Unread 04-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Peachy1,
The most conservative approach is always the best. I have to say "ouch" for any trimming in your Doctors office. I hope it works for you. I am using the estrace cream vaginally 2x a week for thin skin in the vaginal canal. I will need to use it for a very long time. I am glad you like and respect your Dr. Just don't ever be afraid to ask for a second opinion. It is often a journey most ob/gyn's don't often make. My problem with the mesh was the first for my Dr. I went on to an urologyst for treatment after the bands were cut. I am looking forward to my yearly checkup with my doctor next week just to discuss what has been going on with me. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register