Granulation Tissue 6 months post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation Tissue 6 months post hysterectomy Granulation Tissue 6 months post hysterectomy

Unread 04-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Granulation Tissue 6 months post hysterectomy

HELP!!! I am in need of some assistance, direction, guidance or whatever anyone can tell me...

I had a LAVH on 9/23/08 and have just made my fourth visit for problems related to vaginal bleeding. I had my post-op exam at 5 weeks and was doing okay, or so I thought and then the doctor said, "I need a Silver Nitrate stick" to his assistant. I freaked out. Then I heard the infamous words, "this is going to be a little bit uncomfortable." In other words, "It's gonna hurt like a Mother!" And so began my love/hate relationship! He told me that I had a little bit of granulation tissue at my scar line and that it happened sometimes after surgery and that this should take care of the problem. I did okay for a couple of weeks and then started having bleeding after sex.

Enter in yet another problem.... I have had my fair share of female problems and my hysterectomy was suppose to fix that. Bleeding after sex was not a problem that I had ever had before... Aagghh!!!

I had to make another visit to my ob/gyn and had repeat treatment with the dreaded silver nitrate stick. My problems never got any better and then to my dismay I started to have a discharge. I was not able to get into my ob/gyn because he was out of town and my family doctor was gracious enough to see me for this problem. At that time, I was not bleeding but did have an overgrowth of my normal bacteria and got a prescription for antibiotics, which took care of the discharge, but the bleeding continued, but it was intermittent.

Enter in my most recent visit, which was yesterday. I went back to my ob/gyn and he said that we definately needed to take a look and see what was going on. He immediately said, "Well, I see what the problem is... You've got granulation tissue that needs to be removed." He then asked his assistant for ring forceps and before I knew what hit me, I was yelling out in pain. He had proceeded to cut off two pieces of tissue and used the dreaded Silver Nitrate stick again.

So now I am bleeding and cramping and wondering what in God's name is going to be next. I honestly don't think I can handle much more of this!! Is this tissue something that can continue to grow? How much longer can this keep happening?

Tara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Re: Granulation Tissue 6 months post hysterectomy

I am so sorry you are having trouble with this. I had it too and yes, very uncomfortable, enough to jump off the table if I could. I was treated three times over several months and the third visit, yep, he snipped some tissue, ouch! I have heard some have been treated more than what I have had.

The enviornment in there is moist and it causes this problem for many of us. You can do a Search on it here and put in granulation and tons of threads will come up. Some women have had more tissue removal than we have.

I hope you don't have anymore treatments and you will be healed soon.

s
Unread 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM

I am having the same issues. I've been having those painful "treatments" since April. My ob/gyn told me last week if this last treatments doesn't work he is going to do a biopsy to see if I have a prolapsed tube and possibly put me to sleep to remove the granulation. The bleeding stopped two weeks ago, but returned today with more abdominal pain. I really don't want to have more surgery but the pain I am experiencing is unbareable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2009, 08:27 AM

I am extremely relieved to know that I am not the only one. I went for my 6 week checkup and got the nitrate stick TWICE and had a marble-sized granulation removed with those forceps! Talk about AGONY!! Everyone I knew said that was "rare" and "odd" so on top of the pain, I spent my night terrified. My question is why they don't use something to numb the tender area to begin with nor give you anything to manage afterwards?? I have never left a doctor's office in more pain!
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM

I also got the "rare" and "odd" response which made me feel like I was doing something wrong and hindering my recovery. Unfortunately, the nitrate sticks were not working fast enough and I just couldn't bare looking forward to that type of pain every two weeks. So I opted to have the granulation tissue removed. It was in and out surgery and I feel so much better. No more bleeding. No more pain. Now I just hate having sex! What's THAT all about?????
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear that several of my hystersisters are experiencing the same identical problem that has me visiting my ob doc at least 3 times a month for the last three months (not to mention the numerous ER visits for that dreaded silver nitrate treatment and those forcepts). I'm frustrated and tired of the cramping, not to mention my fears of having sex. To add to my frustrations, my doc claims this is normal....normal in what sense??
Unread 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Finally, someone who is experiencing the same thing as me!!
This surgery was supposed to take the pain away and so far it's been hell. I am 5 wks post-op. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and then had a second surgery on that Thursday because he nicked a vein. I had 2 blood transfusions and ended up staying in the hospital for 7 days, because my bladder didn't want to work along with other issues.
Now, I STILL haven't stopped bleeding!! I went in last thursday and had a silver nitrate treatment and my doctor told me that he had hoped my healing would be better and to take it easy for at least 4 months. But then he tells me that it's okay to start lifting my 30# son, because I've probably already stretched everything and I probably can't do too much more damage!?! What is he talking about, why would I start lifting at 4 weeks when I'm still bleeding!!??
Well, the silver nitrate lasted for about 3 days, I had black/grey discharge. But on Sunday I started bleeding again!!!
I called the doctor and he is out of town for 2 weeks! My nurse said not to worry it's probably just going to be a long recovery for me.
I have been having much more pain since last thursday's appointment and I am bleeding still, so why am I the only one who seems concerned?!
Should I get a second opinion? How do I do that?
Now after reading your stories, I'm terrified to go back in. There is absolutely no way I would allow them to cut anything without me being drugged and/or knocked out! I am in pain just thinking about it.
Please HELP ME!!
I should also mention that I am only 29years old and I'm a single mom of 3 kids - which doesn't help at all!
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:31 PM

I am so sorry you have been through such a nightmare!! The cutting part, well, it's necessary if you don't want to experience pain for the rest of your life. Please don't let my whining stop you from doing what's best for your body. My surgery was the Monday before yours so I understand your frustration with this prolonged healing.
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you for replying! Do you think I should wait for my doctor to return in 2 weeks or should I try to find another gyno??
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Emily, second opinions are always good, but I fear the other gyno is going to tell you the same thing "have the granulation removed". That is the only thing that stopped my pain. I certainly didn't want to be cut again and miss more time out of work since I'm a single mom as well. But the pain was more then I could deal with. I feel so much better now.

Like Tex said, you have to do what's best for your body. We are all here for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register